InKyEyES

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
Hey Everyone, it seems that everytime I go on to any number of boards like this or an im a chat room and mention that i have Rdram everyone boo's and tells me that dual-ddr is better. I'm not here to argue that ddr does hold the crown as the fastest type of ram you can buy now expecially since they are making ddr 500. But I've got 512mb of pc1066 normal samsung ram and I really can't see any difference in speed with dual-ddr systems. Games actually run faster on the rdram than on friends dual-ddr 400 systems and we have the same video card (9800pro). Everyone keeps acting like RAMBUS is going to go under any day now but that's not true. They make the ram for PS2's and Xbox's and there working on a 4 channel Rambus. Sis is susposed to be making the first chipset for it. I'm not wanting to argue, just wanting to know why everyone gives it such a bad rap? If i'm wrong about any of my point i appologize. Just wanted to get a few comments on the feeling of Rambus. Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually you're hearing this because those guys are idiots. Pat yourself on the back, PC1066 in dual channel (and RIMM 4200 which is dual PC1066 on a single module) works better with the P4 than dual channel PC2100. And as soon as you tell them that, they're like "but-but-but...PC3200...blah blah blah". And here's where their stupidity come in; They don't have any perception of P4's with a "533MHz" bus! You see, running dual-channel DDR at PC2100 speed is the ideal configuration for DDR on the 533 bus, it's "in sych". They're so lost in "800MHz bus" processors that they will not conceed that PC1066 was a better solution for these older processors.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

InKyEyES

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
Thanks Man! I kinda thought that testing a 3.0c p4 with dual ddr 400 against a 3.0b p4 with 1066 rdram was kinda not fair. The 3.0c has basically 66mhz x 4 advantage just in the processor alone and i'm pretty sure anyone that overclocks know's what a big difference that can make. The found out about that sync issue big time with the athlon's the kt400 chipset, where ddr400 ran slower than ddr333 because the 333 was in sync with the 2 x 166 bus of the athlons.

Sis announced a new chipset yesterday with 800 fsb and rambus support. But they've been slow releasing stuff lately. Could be at least a month or two before you see any boards. The article is highlighted in the news section, about sis R659.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
RDRAM always was the better performance option, which is why Intel initially only supported it for the P4... It was just horribly expensive, and unless it's competitively priced this time around, it'll probably be just as popular..

I wasn't aware they were going to try again, obviously not paying much attention in that area :redface:

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink: