Unwanted IE Toolbar removal

While visiting a website a trojan horse/spyware program intalled a annoying
toolbar in IE that does not allow it to be removed. How can I get rid of it
manually!
13 answers Last reply
More about unwanted toolbar removal

    StephQDean wrote:

    > While visiting a website a trojan horse/spyware program intalled a
    > annoying toolbar in IE that does not allow it to be removed. How can I
    > get rid of it manually!

    Go through these malware removal steps, doing everything in Safe Mode
    with updated tools:

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Download, install, update and run all of the following.

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe

    Spybot search and destroy
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe

    Ewido Security Suite Trial version

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

    a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group so that
    I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to post it elsewhere. I need
    to see it not them.

    HijackThis

    "StephQDean" <StephQDean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > While visiting a website a trojan horse/spyware program intalled a
    > annoying
    > toolbar in IE that does not allow it to be removed. How can I get rid of
    > it
    > manually!

    Microsoft's Mike Brannigan has officially requested that you stop directing
    users to post HijackThis logs to the MS public newsgroups.

    Please see
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/43b69201a3f87411?hl=en
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    pcbutts1 wrote:
    > If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run it,
    > save a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group
    > so that I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to post it
    > elsewhere. I need to see it not them.
    <snip>

    I would HIGHLY recommend not downloading program files from some unknown
    individual's personal website.
    Get them from the original developers' site.

    You can do a google search to find them.
    For instance, Ad Aware's free personal SE version is available at:

    Please do NOT post hijack this logs in this forum, this is not the place for
    them, not the place for them to be analyzed, and totally inappropiate to
    post to this forum. IF you download the program, you will find the proper
    forums to post hijack this logs to be analyzed and get the appropiate
    feedback for them. I would also recommend only getting it from the
    developers website.

    Don Burnette

    pcbutts1 wrote:
    > Download, install, update and run all of the following.
    >
    > Ad-Aware
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe
    >
    > Spybot search and destroy
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe
    >
    > Ewido Security Suite Trial version
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/ewidosetup.exe
    >
    > Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
    >
    > If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run
    > it, save a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to
    > this group so that I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to
    > post it elsewhere. I need to see it not them.
    >

    > HijackThis
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/HijackThis.zip
    >

    > "StephQDean" <StephQDean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> While visiting a website a trojan horse/spyware program intalled a
    >> annoying
    >> toolbar in IE that does not allow it to be removed. How can I get
    >> rid of it
    >> manually!

    Hear, hear!

    Do you think Lavasoft.de, Safer-Networking.org and Merijn have approved
    pcbutts' offering these licensed apps on his website? I don't think so...
    In fact, I think I'll alert them to this.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I would HIGHLY recommend not downloading program files from some unknown
    >individual's personal website.
    > Get them from the original developers' site.
    >
    > You can do a google search to find them.
    > For instance, Ad Aware's free personal SE version is available at:
    > http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
    <snip>

    > pcbutts1 wrote:
    >> Download, install, update and run all of the following.
    >>
    >> Ad-Aware
    >> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe
    >>
    >> Spybot search and destroy
    >> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe
    >>
    >> Ewido Security Suite Trial version
    >> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/ewidosetup.exe
    >>
    >> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
    >>
    >> If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run
    >> it, save a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to
    >> this group so that I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to
    >> post it elsewhere. I need to see it not them.
    >>

    >> HijackThis
    >> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/HijackThis.zip
    >>

    >> "StephQDean" <StephQDean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> While visiting a website a trojan horse/spyware program intalled a
    >>> annoying
    >>> toolbar in IE that does not allow it to be removed. How can I get
    >>> rid of it
    >>> manually!

    I don't work Mike Brannigan and there is nothing he can do about it. Why the
    hell do you keep bothering me?

    > Microsoft's Mike Brannigan has officially requested that you stop
    > directing users to post HijackThis logs to the MS public newsgroups.
    >
    > Please see
    > http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/43b69201a3f87411?hl=en
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    >
    > pcbutts1 wrote:
    >> If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run it,
    >> save a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group
    >> so that I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to post it
    >> elsewhere. I need to see it not them.
    > <snip>
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    If Mike or any other Softie here, including Newsgroups Admin, John Eddy
    (who's fully aware of your behavior), feels you've breached the Rules of
    Conduct* here, further posts from you may be banned.

    We keep bothering you about it because posting and interpreting HT logs here
    may be putting the original poster and other posters here at risk of doing
    irreparable damage to their systems by taking bad or even inapplicable
    advice.

    * "Do not post or promote any materials that could harm or disrupt another
    user's computer or would allow others to inappropriately access software or
    web sites."
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    pcbutts1 wrote:
    > I don't work Mike Brannigan and there is nothing he can do about it. Why
    > the hell do you keep bothering me?

    > > Microsoft's Mike Brannigan has officially requested that you stop
    > > directing users to post HijackThis logs to the MS public newsgroups.
    > >
    > > Please see
    > > http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/43b69201a3f87411?hl=en
    > > --
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    > >
    > > pcbutts1 wrote:
    > > > If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run
    > > > it, save a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to
    > > > this group so that I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to
    > > > post it elsewhere. I need to see it not them.
    > > <snip>

    The same reason many other prominent contributors to these forums do.
    This is NOT the place to post hijack this logs, the reason has already been
    explained, very politely, by many. A MS employee has already addressed this
    with you.
    Why is it so hard for you to see this?

    You undoubtedly have some knowledge that can help others, but you are going
    about it WAY wrong, and by your continued defiance , and disrespect for
    others and this forum, you are doing nothing but alienating yourself, and
    that is truly sad.

    Don Burnette

    pcbutts1 wrote:
    > I don't work Mike Brannigan and there is nothing he can do about it.
    > Why the hell do you keep bothering me?

    >> Microsoft's Mike Brannigan has officially requested that you stop
    >> directing users to post HijackThis logs to the MS public newsgroups.
    >>
    >> Please see
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/43b69201a3f87411?hl=en
    >> --
    >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    >> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    >>
    >> pcbutts1 wrote:
    >>> If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run
    >>> it, save a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to
    >>> this group so that I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to
    >>> post it elsewhere. I need to see it not them.
    >> <snip>
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Amen!!

    Don Burnette

    PA Bear wrote:
    > If Mike or any other Softie here, including Newsgroups Admin, John
    > Eddy (who's fully aware of your behavior), feels you've breached the
    > Rules of Conduct* here, further posts from you may be banned.
    >
    > We keep bothering you about it because posting and interpreting HT
    > logs here may be putting the original poster and other posters here
    > at risk of doing irreparable damage to their systems by taking bad or
    > even inapplicable advice.
    >
    > * "Do not post or promote any materials that could harm or disrupt
    > another user's computer or would allow others to inappropriately
    > access software or web sites."
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >
    > pcbutts1 wrote:
    >> I don't work Mike Brannigan and there is nothing he can do about it.
    >> Why the hell do you keep bothering me?
    >>

    >> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Microsoft's Mike Brannigan has officially requested that you stop
    >>> directing users to post HijackThis logs to the MS public newsgroups.
    >>>
    >>> Please see
    >>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/43b69201a3f87411?hl=en
    >>> --
    >>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    >>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

    >>> <snip>
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    You thick head bastard. I have not done that. It's that simple. You and
    other MVP's seem to think so. Any advice given in this or any group can be
    harmful Asking for a log is not. I am going to keep doing it so live with it
    and stop wasting your time trying to stop me. I can care less if they post
    the log or not, it costs me nothing. if they do post it then I will analyze
    it and fix it. You are bordering on harassment and if it keeps up I will
    report you and every other MVP who keeps harassing me.

    > If Mike or any other Softie here, including Newsgroups Admin, John Eddy
    > (who's fully aware of your behavior), feels you've breached the Rules of
    > Conduct* here, further posts from you may be banned.
    >
    > We keep bothering you about it because posting and interpreting HT logs
    > here may be putting the original poster and other posters here at risk of
    > doing irreparable damage to their systems by taking bad or even
    > inapplicable advice.
    >
    > * "Do not post or promote any materials that could harm or disrupt another
    > user's computer or would allow others to inappropriately access software
    > or web sites."
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    >

    > pcbutts1 wrote:
    >> I don't work Mike Brannigan and there is nothing he can do about it. Why
    >> the hell do you keep bothering me?
    >>

    >> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Microsoft's Mike Brannigan has officially requested that you stop
    >> > directing users to post HijackThis logs to the MS public newsgroups.
    >> >
    >> > Please see
    >> > http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/43b69201a3f87411?hl=en
    >> > --
    >> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    >> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

    >> > <snip>

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    :o)

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    > Amen!!
    >
    > Don Burnette
    >

    > PA Bear wrote:
    >> If Mike or any other Softie here, including Newsgroups Admin, John
    >> Eddy (who's fully aware of your behavior), feels you've breached the
    >> Rules of Conduct* here, further posts from you may be banned.
    >>
    >> We keep bothering you about it because posting and interpreting HT
    >> logs here may be putting the original poster and other posters here
    >> at risk of doing irreparable damage to their systems by taking bad or
    >> even inapplicable advice.
    >>
    >> * "Do not post or promote any materials that could harm or disrupt
    >> another user's computer or would allow others to inappropriately
    >> access software or web sites."
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >>
    >> pcbutts1 wrote:
    >>> I don't work Mike Brannigan and there is nothing he can do about it.
    >>> Why the hell do you keep bothering me?
    >>>

    >>> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    ditto :0)

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Kelly wrote:
    >> o)
    >

    > "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Amen!!
    >>
    >> Don Burnette
    >>

    >> PA Bear wrote:
    >>> If Mike or any other Softie here, including Newsgroups Admin, John
    >>> Eddy (who's fully aware of your behavior), feels you've breached the
    >>> Rules of Conduct* here, further posts from you may be banned.
    >>>
    >>> We keep bothering you about it because posting and interpreting HT
    >>> logs here may be putting the original poster and other posters here
    >>> at risk of doing irreparable damage to their systems by taking bad
    >>> or even inapplicable advice.
    >>>
    >>> * "Do not post or promote any materials that could harm or disrupt
    >>> another user's computer or would allow others to inappropriately
    >>> access software or web sites."
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Right on o:))

    --
    Peter

    "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23Y2PFUpqFHA.3672@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > If Mike or any other Softie here, including Newsgroups Admin, John Eddy
    > (who's fully aware of your behavior), feels you've breached the Rules of
    > Conduct* here, further posts from you may be banned.
    >
    > We keep bothering you about it because posting and interpreting HT logs here
    > may be putting the original poster and other posters here at risk of doing
    > irreparable damage to their systems by taking bad or even inapplicable
    > advice.
    >
    > * "Do not post or promote any materials that could harm or disrupt another
    > user's computer or would allow others to inappropriately access software or
    > web sites."
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    >

    > pcbutts1 wrote:
    >> I don't work Mike Brannigan and there is nothing he can do about it. Why
    >> the hell do you keep bothering me?
    >>

    >> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Microsoft's Mike Brannigan has officially requested that you stop
    >> > directing users to post HijackThis logs to the MS public newsgroups.
    >> >
    >> > Please see
    >> > http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/43b69201a3f87411?hl=en
    >> > --
    >> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    >> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

    >> > <snip>

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP