While visiting a website a trojan horse/spyware program intalled a annoying
toolbar in IE that does not allow it to be removed. How can I get rid of it
manually!

Malke

StephQDean wrote:

> While visiting a website a trojan horse/spyware program intalled a
> annoying toolbar in IE that does not allow it to be removed. How can I
> get rid of it manually!

Go through these malware removal steps, doing everything in Safe Mode
with updated tools:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Download, install, update and run all of the following.

Ad-Aware
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe

Spybot search and destroy
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe

Ewido Security Suite Trial version

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group so that
I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to post it elsewhere. I need
to see it not them.

HijackThis

"StephQDean" <StephQDean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> While visiting a website a trojan horse/spyware program intalled a
> annoying
> toolbar in IE that does not allow it to be removed. How can I get rid of
> it
> manually!

Microsoft's Mike Brannigan has officially requested that you stop directing
users to post HijackThis logs to the MS public newsgroups.

Please see
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/43b69201a3f87411?hl=en
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

pcbutts1 wrote:
> If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run it,
> save a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group
> so that I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to post it
> elsewhere. I need to see it not them.
<snip>

I would HIGHLY recommend not downloading program files from some unknown
individual's personal website.
Get them from the original developers' site.

You can do a google search to find them.
For instance, Ad Aware's free personal SE version is available at:

Please do NOT post hijack this logs in this forum, this is not the place for
them, not the place for them to be analyzed, and totally inappropiate to
post to this forum. IF you download the program, you will find the proper
forums to post hijack this logs to be analyzed and get the appropiate
feedback for them. I would also recommend only getting it from the
developers website.

Don Burnette

pcbutts1 wrote:
> Download, install, update and run all of the following.
>
> Ad-Aware
> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe
>
> Spybot search and destroy
> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe
>
> Ewido Security Suite Trial version
> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/ewidosetup.exe
>
> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
>
> If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run
> it, save a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to
> this group so that I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to
> post it elsewhere. I need to see it not them.
>

> HijackThis
> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/HijackThis.zip
>

> "StephQDean" <StephQDean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> While visiting a website a trojan horse/spyware program intalled a
>> annoying
>> toolbar in IE that does not allow it to be removed. How can I get
>> rid of it
>> manually!

Hear, hear!

Do you think Lavasoft.de, Safer-Networking.org and Merijn have approved
pcbutts' offering these licensed apps on his website? I don't think so...
In fact, I think I'll alert them to this.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>I would HIGHLY recommend not downloading program files from some unknown
>individual's personal website.
> Get them from the original developers' site.
>
> You can do a google search to find them.
> For instance, Ad Aware's free personal SE version is available at:
> http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
<snip>

> pcbutts1 wrote:
>> Download, install, update and run all of the following.
>>
>> Ad-Aware
>> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe
>>
>> Spybot search and destroy
>> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe
>>
>> Ewido Security Suite Trial version
>> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/ewidosetup.exe
>>
>> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
>>
>> If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run
>> it, save a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to
>> this group so that I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to
>> post it elsewhere. I need to see it not them.
>>

>> HijackThis
>> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/HijackThis.zip
>>

>> "StephQDean" <StephQDean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> While visiting a website a trojan horse/spyware program intalled a
>>> annoying
>>> toolbar in IE that does not allow it to be removed. How can I get
>>> rid of it
>>> manually!

I don't work Mike Brannigan and there is nothing he can do about it. Why the
hell do you keep bothering me?

> Microsoft's Mike Brannigan has officially requested that you stop
> directing users to post HijackThis logs to the MS public newsgroups.
>
> Please see
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/43b69201a3f87411?hl=en
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>
> pcbutts1 wrote:
>> If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run it,
>> save a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group
>> so that I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to post it
>> elsewhere. I need to see it not them.
> <snip>

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

If Mike or any other Softie here, including Newsgroups Admin, John Eddy
(who's fully aware of your behavior), feels you've breached the Rules of
Conduct* here, further posts from you may be banned.

We keep bothering you about it because posting and interpreting HT logs here
may be putting the original poster and other posters here at risk of doing
irreparable damage to their systems by taking bad or even inapplicable
advice.

* "Do not post or promote any materials that could harm or disrupt another
user's computer or would allow others to inappropriately access software or
web sites."
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

pcbutts1 wrote:
> I don't work Mike Brannigan and there is nothing he can do about it. Why
> the hell do you keep bothering me?

> > Microsoft's Mike Brannigan has officially requested that you stop
> > directing users to post HijackThis logs to the MS public newsgroups.
> >
> > Please see
> > http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/43b69201a3f87411?hl=en
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
> >
> > pcbutts1 wrote:
> > > If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run
> > > it, save a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to
> > > this group so that I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to
> > > post it elsewhere. I need to see it not them.
> > <snip>

The same reason many other prominent contributors to these forums do.
This is NOT the place to post hijack this logs, the reason has already been
explained, very politely, by many. A MS employee has already addressed this
with you.
Why is it so hard for you to see this?

You undoubtedly have some knowledge that can help others, but you are going
about it WAY wrong, and by your continued defiance , and disrespect for
others and this forum, you are doing nothing but alienating yourself, and
that is truly sad.

Don Burnette

pcbutts1 wrote:
> I don't work Mike Brannigan and there is nothing he can do about it.
> Why the hell do you keep bothering me?

>> Microsoft's Mike Brannigan has officially requested that you stop
>> directing users to post HijackThis logs to the MS public newsgroups.
>>
>> Please see
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/43b69201a3f87411?hl=en
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>>
>> pcbutts1 wrote:
>>> If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run
>>> it, save a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to
>>> this group so that I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to
>>> post it elsewhere. I need to see it not them.
>> <snip>

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Amen!!

Don Burnette

PA Bear wrote:
> If Mike or any other Softie here, including Newsgroups Admin, John
> Eddy (who's fully aware of your behavior), feels you've breached the
> Rules of Conduct* here, further posts from you may be banned.
>
> We keep bothering you about it because posting and interpreting HT
> logs here may be putting the original poster and other posters here
> at risk of doing irreparable damage to their systems by taking bad or
> even inapplicable advice.
>
> * "Do not post or promote any materials that could harm or disrupt
> another user's computer or would allow others to inappropriately
> access software or web sites."
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>
> pcbutts1 wrote:
>> I don't work Mike Brannigan and there is nothing he can do about it.
>> Why the hell do you keep bothering me?
>>

>> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Microsoft's Mike Brannigan has officially requested that you stop
>>> directing users to post HijackThis logs to the MS public newsgroups.
>>>
>>> Please see
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/43b69201a3f87411?hl=en
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

>>> <snip>

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You thick head bastard. I have not done that. It's that simple. You and
other MVP's seem to think so. Any advice given in this or any group can be
harmful Asking for a log is not. I am going to keep doing it so live with it
and stop wasting your time trying to stop me. I can care less if they post
the log or not, it costs me nothing. if they do post it then I will analyze
it and fix it. You are bordering on harassment and if it keeps up I will
report you and every other MVP who keeps harassing me.

> If Mike or any other Softie here, including Newsgroups Admin, John Eddy
> (who's fully aware of your behavior), feels you've breached the Rules of
> Conduct* here, further posts from you may be banned.
>
> We keep bothering you about it because posting and interpreting HT logs
> here may be putting the original poster and other posters here at risk of
> doing irreparable damage to their systems by taking bad or even
> inapplicable advice.
>
> * "Do not post or promote any materials that could harm or disrupt another
> user's computer or would allow others to inappropriately access software
> or web sites."
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>

> pcbutts1 wrote:
>> I don't work Mike Brannigan and there is nothing he can do about it. Why
>> the hell do you keep bothering me?
>>

>> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Microsoft's Mike Brannigan has officially requested that you stop
>> > directing users to post HijackThis logs to the MS public newsgroups.
>> >
>> > Please see
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/43b69201a3f87411?hl=en
>> > --
>> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

>> > <snip>

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

:eek:)

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> Amen!!
>
> Don Burnette
>

> PA Bear wrote:
>> If Mike or any other Softie here, including Newsgroups Admin, John
>> Eddy (who's fully aware of your behavior), feels you've breached the
>> Rules of Conduct* here, further posts from you may be banned.
>>
>> We keep bothering you about it because posting and interpreting HT
>> logs here may be putting the original poster and other posters here
>> at risk of doing irreparable damage to their systems by taking bad or
>> even inapplicable advice.
>>
>> * "Do not post or promote any materials that could harm or disrupt
>> another user's computer or would allow others to inappropriately
>> access software or web sites."
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>>
>> pcbutts1 wrote:
>>> I don't work Mike Brannigan and there is nothing he can do about it.
>>> Why the hell do you keep bothering me?
>>>

>>> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

ditto :0)

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Kelly wrote:
>> o)
>

> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Amen!!
>>
>> Don Burnette
>>

>> PA Bear wrote:
>>> If Mike or any other Softie here, including Newsgroups Admin, John
>>> Eddy (who's fully aware of your behavior), feels you've breached the
>>> Rules of Conduct* here, further posts from you may be banned.
>>>
>>> We keep bothering you about it because posting and interpreting HT
>>> logs here may be putting the original poster and other posters here
>>> at risk of doing irreparable damage to their systems by taking bad
>>> or even inapplicable advice.
>>>
>>> * "Do not post or promote any materials that could harm or disrupt
>>> another user's computer or would allow others to inappropriately
>>> access software or web sites."
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Right on o:))

--
Peter