Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. I'm trying to record my
acoustic guitar with a PC (Dell, 512mghz, Pentium III, Sony microphone
plugged into back, Windows XP Pro, Audacity Music Editor). The problem
is I can't get any playback volume high enough. I've turned all
possible controls from Audacity and Control Panel to highest settings
for both recording and playback.
I still can barely hear my playing. The microphone is about 8" from the
sound-hole. Any clues!?
Thanks! Brian

campbellbrian2001@yahoo.com wrote:
> Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. I'm trying to record my
> acoustic guitar with a PC (Dell, 512mghz, Pentium III, Sony microphone
> plugged into back, Windows XP Pro, Audacity Music Editor). The problem
> is I can't get any playback volume high enough. I've turned all
> possible controls from Audacity and Control Panel to highest settings
> for both recording and playback.
> I still can barely hear my playing. The microphone is about 8" from the
> sound-hole. Any clues!?
> Thanks! Brian

What type of microphone? Dynamic, electet, condenser, etc.? Each
type has its own electrical requirements. I would match the mic
to the input, perhaps going through a mixer, while checking the
VU's for recording...maybe a second microphone. For miking, one
cardiod, very close to the sound hole, with the second, omni mic
about 24 inches away for "air", and mix before making the final
recording.

campbellbrian2001@yahoo.com wrote:

> Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. I'm trying to record my
> acoustic guitar with a PC (Dell, 512mghz, Pentium III, Sony microphone
> plugged into back, Windows XP Pro, Audacity Music Editor). The problem
> is I can't get any playback volume high enough. I've turned all
> possible controls from Audacity and Control Panel to highest settings
> for both recording and playback.
> I still can barely hear my playing. The microphone is about 8" from the
> sound-hole. Any clues!?

The problem isn't the placement of the microphone from the
guitar's sound hole but probably an impendance error between
the microphone and the mic input of the sound card. Unless,
of course, the mic input of the record section of the Windows
mixer panel is still disabled.