Windows XP won't start after installation ecs k7vt

vitellius1980

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2003
Hi all
Ik have switched my old mainboard with the mainboard of my roommate, a ECS k7vta3, I'm using the same CPU which was already on the mainboard. an AMD XP 1800+ CPU. Everything went goog untill windows XP started up, windows keeps hanging on the start up screen with the black screen and the windows xp logo and the blue bar. After that I tried to go into safe mode and it did't work, safe mode also froze, I formatted my harddisk and installed a fresh copy of windows XP, I had no trouble during the installation, but windows XP still froze during the startup screen, but now I can start up in the safe mode, but only the normal safe mode and not the other safe modes, they still freeze.
I've tried starting up without any PCI cards and I've tested my memory, and it did't fix the problem.
Does anybody know what the problem is?
Thanks in advance
Jurgen
My system:
ECS K7VTa3 KT333
2x PC2100 128 MB DDR
1x PC2100 256 MB DDR
AMB XP 1800+ CPU
Nvidia Ti4200 64Mb
Maxtor 40Gb 5400
Seagate 40Gb 5400
350W Aopen power supply

piasabird

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
In XP there is safe mode and also VGA mode. Try the mode for VGA. You may need to adjust the driver for the video card and possible install DX9.05b.

when you see smoke is that a good sign?

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
did you remove/change the heatsink/fan on the CPU? If you did, what HSF did you use, and how did you fit it?

also, what does the BIOS report your temperatures as?

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 10/09/03 12:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

krzyku

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2003
hi, i have the same motherboard and i have one problem with it: i have windows xp professional and when i shotdown the system there comes a screen with windows xp logo and sign: "now you can safely turn off you computer" and i have to push power off button for a few seconds, question is WHY? the motherboard is ATX, power supply as well so why god damni it?

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I think you have to set your 'computer type' as ACPI compliant or something... Don't have an XP machine to hand to check. try looking under My computer and see if you can find a setting along those lines...

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

jimbo99

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
Turn power management on in bios and tell windows in the power management settings in the OS to shut down and turn off windows when you hit the power button.

As for the original post. Pull everything extraneous out the computer leaving just what is necessary to boot and load the OS. If your peripherals are on board then turn them off in bios. Turn off caching of video and bios. Make sure your agp bus speed is set properly. Try a different video card. Check to see if the ram is problemmatic. Reseat it. Run memtest86 against it for a long period of time. Do all the basics.