Remove programs from startup folder?

Hi Gang,

How do you stop a certain program from loading on startup? I'm using
WinXP.

I tried msconfig and unchecked the program in the startup folder. It
worked, however, msconfig has now reverted to a selective startup.

Is there a better way to do it?

Thanks, Gary
Please remove XXX in email address if email reply is desired.

Go to run,type:services.msc In msc scroll to the service,double click on it,
then change from auto to manual or disable service,exit when thru.

I use this http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

"G Mulcaster" <mulcasterXXX@XXXshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi Gang,
>
> How do you stop a certain program from loading on startup? I'm using
> WinXP.
>
> I tried msconfig and unchecked the program in the startup folder. It
> worked, however, msconfig has now reverted to a selective startup.
>
> Is there a better way to do it?
>
> Thanks, Gary
> Please remove XXX in email address if email reply is desired.

Hi,

There's nothing wrong with leaving it in selective startup mode. You can
also check within the program's settings for an option to keep it loading at
boot. Also, you may be able to stop it depending on where it's loading from.
For instance, if it's just a shortcut in a startup folder then you can
simply delete it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"G Mulcaster" <mulcasterXXX@XXXshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi Gang,
>
> How do you stop a certain program from loading on startup? I'm using
> WinXP.
>
> I tried msconfig and unchecked the program in the startup folder. It
> worked, however, msconfig has now reverted to a selective startup.
>
> Is there a better way to do it?
>
> Thanks, Gary
> Please remove XXX in email address if email reply is desired.

Arthur

Get this FREEBIE STARTUP INSPECTOR: http://www.windowsstartup.com/ it's
great. I used to do it in the registry, now I can see with one click, and
get information on what program I'm dumping.

"G Mulcaster" <mulcasterXXX@XXXshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi Gang,
>
> How do you stop a certain program from loading on startup? I'm using
> WinXP.
>
> I tried msconfig and unchecked the program in the startup folder. It
> worked, however, msconfig has now reverted to a selective startup.
>
> Is there a better way to do it?
>
> Thanks, Gary
> Please remove XXX in email address if email reply is desired.

Folks here have given good advice. Some programs have a way of restoring the
startup run. Not the disabled program, but another program that uses it,
such as with an update checker. If that happens, rename the offending
program in such a way that you can restore easily if you should want to.

"G Mulcaster" <mulcasterXXX@XXXshaw.ca> wrote in message

> I tried msconfig and unchecked the program in the startup folder. It
> worked, however, msconfig has now reverted to a selective startup.
>
> Is there a better way to do it?

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 03:40:37 GMT, G Mulcaster
<mulcasterXXX@XXXshaw.ca> wrote:

>Hi Gang,
>
>How do you stop a certain program from loading on startup? I'm using
>WinXP.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I investigated the options you
provided but, in the end, removed the program. The program wasDantz
Retrospect Express HD - backup software that came with my Maxtor
external hard drive.

The offending icon that always showed in the system tray turned out
to be a loader. That is, if the icon was dbl clicked, the backup
program would then load, a process which took quite a few seconds.
Because of this, I made an assumption the program was very large, or
inefficent.

Worse, the icon in the system tray was continuously on the active side
of the tray; therefore, I made another assumtion the loader was always
polling and thus a resource hog.

Notwithstanding, the program itself has merit. I intend to play with
it again once I have a closer look at the mini programs you have
recommended.

Again, thanks

Gary
Please remove XXX in email address if email reply is desired.

go to run then go to msconfig then to startup