Can I avoid SecuROM by creating a seperate partition for the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vchov

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I really hate how SecuROM is(or at least the reviews of it) and I don't want anything to do with it unless I can prevent infecting my entire system. If I made a seperate partition from my Windows 7, can this stop the SecuROM from spreading? Will I be able to delete this partition and not have the SecuROM anymore as a result? Thanks!

Solution
you are right not to want securom on your pc. I blame securom for buggering up both my dvd drives. fortunately on my current pc I have so far avoided becoming 'infected' with securom, but I am now always on the look out for it before installing any software.

vchov

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I use PowerISO to burn copies of Linux and so I can archive files. If I have SecuROM, it will get rid of PowerISO. Not only that, it's malware and won't be removed. The best and seemingly only way to delete it is to reformat the hard drive with a fresh install of the OS.

vchov

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
The problem is that an enormous amount of games are infected with it. Crysis Warhead is one of them. I have Crysis Warhead, but I'm afraid it would install SecuROM. I also don't want to use Steam unless I'm forced to.

daviduk109

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
you are right not to want securom on your pc. I blame securom for buggering up both my dvd drives. fortunately on my current pc I have so far avoided becoming 'infected' with securom, but I am now always on the look out for it before installing any software.

Solution

b20feb

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
STEAM
For People who say they use Steam and have no issues with it, maybe they don't realise that they cannot resell their games - any game that has to be registered on steam cannot be sold afterwards (unless you sell your entire Steam account with it, which is against Steam Terms and conditions and would result in the entire Steam account being cancelled for the unlucky buyer - don't buy a Steam Account!). Nor can you un-register a game from Steam, it's registered to you forever (or rather, until they decide to close down the Steam servers, then your games are useless).

SECUROM
SecuRom is an abysmal piece of software - It has screwed up backups of my Windows Vista system numerous times, and I can't get rid of it - even with SecuRom's own removal tool. And if you remove SecuRom (and the registration details with it), then you may not be able to play the game again on any PC.
Securom is MALWARE; it is installed without your knowledge or consent; it is difficult if not impossible to remove and can screw up proper security of your system - and again, I believe once the game is registered you can't resell.

Both SecuRom and Steam are, yet again, security measures that PENALISE HONEST PEOPLE who actually pay good money for their games, in order to avoid piracy. But they go further than that. They are both mechanisms for boosting sales by preventing the sale of used games. Don't go near either if you plan to resell your game afterwards - you won't be able to.

I will not buy any game that requires either a Steam account or Securom. Whether or not you do is your choice, but I would urge people not to: Don't buy ANY game which requires SecuRom or Steam and be aware they don't always tell you - you have to find out yourself - always ask before you buy.

b20feb

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

Steam and SecuRom are different things. Just because you have Steam doesn't mean you have SecuRom. You may or may not have SecuRom depending on what games you have.

Steam is not too bad if you don't ever sell your used games, or buy second hand games. But if they ever go broke and the servers are taken down, then you're screwed.

If you have any games that install SecuRom then pray you never lose (or have to reformat) your hard disk.

If you lose the SecuRom information (which you didn't even know was there due to the unscrupulous way it is installed) then you will not be able to play the games again unless you contact the manufacturer, who may or may not reset the activation.

Well I play Crysis / Warhead / CoD 2 through 6 / BF2 / Fallout 3 / L4D 1 and 2 and UT .....

I have been using Steam for quite some time and to this date I have never seen a server go down (unless I was playing MW2 :lol: :lol: :lol:) , I like steam, maybe not the best approach for us gamers but at least it is there.

I understand your issue with secure-rom, i guess I don't have it cause I have never had to deal with anything related to your issues. I have games that are dated back to 2000 like SoF2 and they still work like a charm....

I just upgraded to Win 7 64bit about 2 weeks ago and i have all my games installed, no hiccup....

So what game caused all this?

G

Well, in five or ten years from now, if you want to reminisce and play some of these classics. it's going to suck for you because you're not going to be able to play the classics from this time period. However, all those people you're downing, they will be able to enjoy their games because they didn't pay hundreds of dollars today for games with a very limited shelf-life due to copy-rights protections like securom and online server dependency like some online activations and Steam games.

Status
Not open for further replies.