a friend has recommended Serif PagePlus SE, i am always very wary of 'free'
software. can i expect any problems? i am totally new to desktop publishing
so don't want to spend hard earned cash.
--
seanpaul99

As WayneM indicated, Serif has been providing stable, bug-free, low-cost,
easy-to-use, and capable general-purpose desktop publishing software for
many years.

Also, as WayneM indicated, you can expect many e-mails attempting to get you
to upgrade (pay) to the latest version of their software. If you are not
interested in those e-mails, set up a free "throw-away" e-mail address with
Yahoo.com to use when you register your free Serif program.

Good Luck,

steve

"seanpaul99" <seanpaul99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>a friend has recommended Serif PagePlus SE, i am always very wary of 'free'
> software. can i expect any problems? i am totally new to desktop
> publishing
> so don't want to spend hard earned cash.
> --
> seanpaul99

seanpaul99,

I have used several of the Serif "free" programs and I haven't had any
problems with any of them. There are always old versions of the current
program and lack the new features added in the most recent version, but are
fully functional.

There are Serif newsgroups for specific programs and on general topics. I
don't think you can avoid giving Serif a "real" email address to get your
copy of the software you are interested in and this gets you a promo from
Natasha, about once a week, about another Serif product. Most of these
products are inexpensive, although their major products are more expensive
but no where near as expensive as the competition.

Finally, if your interested in the full PagePlus it is usually available on
Ebay for less than from Seif. These are legitimate products from an
authorized distributor.

Wayne

"seanpaul99" <seanpaul99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>a friend has recommended Serif PagePlus SE, i am always very wary of 'free'
> software. can i expect any problems? i am totally new to desktop
> publishing
> so don't want to spend hard earned cash.
> --
> seanpaul99

I don't know about Serif PagePlus but...

alt.comp.freeware is a good newsgroup for finding out just what is safe
and stable in freeware. No adaware, shareware, trialware etc. is allowed
to be mentioned unless it is stated for the purpose of letting everyone
know. Each year the group votes on the best freeware.
One of the group maintains a website for providing the results of the
votes etc.
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/

Serif PagePlus gets mentioned here
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/programs/0666-PW.php

and Serif PagePlus SE gets mentioned about halfway down this page under
desktop publishing as being Serif PagePlus SE formerly Serif PagePlus 5
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_BUSINESS-HOME.php

Personally if it has been allowed by this group I would install it. If
you ask at the group they might give you better recommendations or you
could search the pricelesswarehome site for desktop publishing looking
back through each years archives.