Export e-mail out of Outlook?...

August 27, 2005 4:40:45 PM

I have been using Outlook for quite a while now and have always exported to
a CVS or Excel file when backing up. It's not bad, but viewing e-mail on a
spreadsheet and losing all the attached files is not the best solution.

Are there any good solutions out there? I have a "Save Mail" folder I'd like
to back up every so often and be able to search and read through it. Even if
it exports all the e-mails into one long document, or PDF, that would be
great. Ideally I would like to save the attachments too but that is less
critical.

I believe Outlook stores in mbox format? So maybe a tool that works with
that. Or with Outlook's archive format. Anyway...just looking for a good way
to export all my emails to a normal readable file..thanks!

Frank

--
http://www.mediaartist.com/
"Media Artist Secrets"

More about : export mail outlook

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 4:40:46 PM

frank wrote:
> I have been using Outlook for quite a while now and have always
> exported to a CVS or Excel file when backing up. It's not bad, but
> viewing e-mail on a spreadsheet and losing all the attached files is
> not the best solution.
> Are there any good solutions out there? I have a "Save Mail" folder
> I'd like to back up every so often and be able to search and read
> through it. Even if it exports all the e-mails into one long
> document, or PDF, that would be great. Ideally I would like to save
> the attachments too but that is less critical.
>
> I believe Outlook stores in mbox format? So maybe a tool that works
> with that. Or with Outlook's archive format. Anyway...just looking
> for a good way to export all my emails to a normal readable
> file..thanks!

You said Outlook - but do you mean Outlook Express?

If not - Exporting all of your email out of Outlook is easy.. Just Export
it to a PST file - that brings everything in your mailbox (contacts,
attachments, emails, calendatr, etc) with it that you like.

If you really meant Outlook Express:
http://www.pchell.com/support/backupoe.shtml

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Not looking for a PST backup option...looking for a way to export e-mails in
a readable archive that does not require outlook...

any other ideas out there?

--

news:o aq3vSxqFHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> frank wrote:
>> I have been using Outlook for quite a while now and have always
>> exported to a CVS or Excel file when backing up. It's not bad, but
>> viewing e-mail on a spreadsheet and losing all the attached files is
>> not the best solution.
>> Are there any good solutions out there? I have a "Save Mail" folder
>> I'd like to back up every so often and be able to search and read
>> through it. Even if it exports all the e-mails into one long
>> document, or PDF, that would be great. Ideally I would like to save
>> the attachments too but that is less critical.
>>
>> I believe Outlook stores in mbox format? So maybe a tool that works
>> with that. Or with Outlook's archive format. Anyway...just looking
>> for a good way to export all my emails to a normal readable
>> file..thanks!
>
> You said Outlook - but do you mean Outlook Express?
>
> If not - Exporting all of your email out of Outlook is easy.. Just Export
> it to a PST file - that brings everything in your mailbox (contacts,
> attachments, emails, calendatr, etc) with it that you like.
>
> If you really meant Outlook Express:
> http://www.pchell.com/support/backupoe.shtml
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

August 27, 2005 9:55:14 PM

Asked/Discussed in WinXP General. OL-specific newsgroups posted.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

frank wrote:
> I have been using Outlook for quite a while now and have always exported
> to a CVS or Excel file when backing up. It's not bad, but viewing e-mail
> on a spreadsheet and losing all the attached files is not the best
> solution.
>
> Are there any good solutions out there? I have a "Save Mail" folder I'd
> like to back up every so often and be able to search and read through it.
> Even if it exports all the e-mails into one long document, or PDF, that
> would be great. Ideally I would like to save the attachments too but that
> is less critical.
>
> I believe Outlook stores in mbox format? So maybe a tool that works with
> that. Or with Outlook's archive format. Anyway...just looking for a good
> way to export all my emails to a normal readable file..thanks!
>
> Frank
August 27, 2005 11:24:08 PM

Shenan Stanley wrote:

> If not - Exporting all of your email out of Outlook is easy.. Just
> Export it to a PST file

Why bother to do that? Just copy the original pst file.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 11:24:09 PM

Gordon wrote:
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>
>> If not - Exporting all of your email out of Outlook is easy.. Just
>> Export it to a PST file
>
> Why bother to do that? Just copy the original pst file.

Many people connect directly to Exchange servers - we don't really have
local PST files.
OST, maybe - if we use offline or cached modes.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

frank wrote:
> Not looking for a PST backup option...looking for a way to export
> e-mails in a readable archive that does not require outlook...
>
> any other ideas out there?

Install Mozilla Thunderbird and do an import at regular intervals - TBird
mail boxes are in MBox format......
August 28, 2005 12:58:21 AM

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>>
>>> If not - Exporting all of your email out of Outlook is easy.. Just
>>> Export it to a PST file
>>
>> Why bother to do that? Just copy the original pst file.
>
> Many people connect directly to Exchange servers -

In which case they'd ask their sysadmin about it and wouldn't post a query
here I presume!
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 12:58:22 AM

Gordon wrote:
> In which case they'd ask their sysadmin about it and wouldn't post a
> query here I presume!

You would be right - if most people even knew their system admin or thought
they could approach them.. That and the fact that even if they did think
them approachable, they may not be available or they may not want to ask
them such a trivial question or they may not even understand that they are
connected to such a server.. My method of exporting to PST works whether or
not they currently have a PST.. It covers all bases - which saves times
when you do not know the full situation.

In any case - it is not what the OP wanted/desired/needed.

The OP could export to an Access Database file, fire up a quick form and
browse their email that way VERY quickly.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley wrote:

> The OP could export to an Access Database file, fire up a quick form
> and browse their email that way VERY quickly.

Good one. That didn't occur to me!
Anonymous
February 18, 2009 9:25:20 AM

Hi...

There is a product from DS Development called E-mail address collector....which works great.
I am using it for some time and i did'n had any problems with it.
You can download a free trial from www.emailaddressmanager.com.....

Good luck
October 10, 2013 5:37:21 AM

frank said:

Not looking for a PST backup option...looking for a way to export e-mails in
a readable archive that does not require outlook...

any other ideas out there?

PDF is a suitable file format that can be used any where. Adobe Reader is free of cost to open pdf file so you can export your all outlook emails into pdf format. It also keeps the attachments.

For that, Acrobat Pro and Acrobat Plus are good way to go for pst2pdf extraction. However you are looking for an outlook independent pst to pdf converter add-on then you can go with:

http://www.pcvita.com/convert-outlook-emails-to-pdf-with-attachments.html

It is good to export emails including attachments without installing Adobe Acrobat and MS Outlook.
!