Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to install a game using a different CD but using the same CD key? (stronghol

Last response: in Video Games
December 18, 2009 5:31:33 AM

Is it possible to change the CD key of a Stronghold 2 game after install?

Reason:
- I bought stronghold 2 about 2 years ago and installed it. It was then deleted due to a reinstall of windows.
- When I tried to reinstall it 2 months ago it would not install a .bin file and would not launch
- I bought a replacement copy for $20NZD and now have one new working CD and 2 CD keys...
- I want to install the games on two different computers for LANing purposes
- I have installed the game from the same CD on computer A and B but need a different CD key for B
December 18, 2009 6:48:23 AM

The CD key is not tied to the disk itself. Let me see if I follow you: You still have you original key, plus the new disk and its key. Thus you can install on computer A using Key 1 and on Computer B using Key 2, but with the same disk.

Seeing as you've already installed both using the same key, you'll have to uninstall and re-install using the second key on one of the computers. Your only potential problem would be if the game needs the disk to run, in which case you still need to working disks.
m
l
December 18, 2009 7:20:29 AM

Herr_Koos said:
The CD key is not tied to the disk itself. Let me see if I follow you: You still have you original key, plus the new disk and its key. Thus you can install on computer A using Key 1 and on Computer B using Key 2, but with the same disk.

Seeing as you've already installed both using the same key, you'll have to uninstall and re-install using the second key on one of the computers. Your only potential problem would be if the game needs the disk to run, in which case you still need to working disks.

The first paragraph is exactly what I am trying to accomplish.
I am not sure if I follow paragraph two, that is, how exactly am I to do that?
Cheers
m
l
Related resources
December 18, 2009 8:04:26 AM

You install the game in exactly the same way as before, just use the other CD key. Easy, eh?
m
l
December 18, 2009 3:20:48 PM

I ready don't understand what the difficulty is here, when prompted for the CD key simply type it in.
m
l

Best solution

December 18, 2009 8:21:20 PM

Devastator_uk said:
I ready don't understand what the difficulty is here, when prompted for the CD key simply type it in.

If I understand correctly, he thought the key printed on the case was linked to a specific physical disk. Which it isn't.

Also, you may get lucky with the damaged disk, and the part of the disk needed to confirm if the disk is in the drive may be able to be read.

So 2 Disks, 2 Keys, 2PCs
December 18, 2009 9:33:09 PM

Devastator_uk said:

Hmm, i forgot to add that it doesn't ask for a CD key. It simply installs
m
l
December 18, 2009 11:02:09 PM

jay_l_a said:
If I understand correctly, he thought the key printed on the case was linked to a specific physical disk. Which it isn't.

Also, you may get lucky with the damaged disk, and the part of the disk needed to confirm if the disk is in the drive may be able to be read.

So 2 Disks, 2 Keys, 2PCs

I tried doing this and it worked (the scratched disk was still able to be identified as legit in the CD drive)
I then tested it by playing computer A and B online in the same game and at the same time. It worked with no problems

Cheers man for your advice!

So, answer solved!
Q: 'Can I install a game from one disk on two computers and run them both with their individual CDs in the CDROM drive?'
A: 'Yes, but both CDs need to be clean enough for the part of the disk needed to confirm if the disk is in the drive is able to be read.
m
l
!