help? couple n00b questions - P4P800 Deluxe

jugghead23

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
everything is up and running with the help from some people on this board.

I have a couple of newbie questions for a second time system builder.

1. The Asus Post Reporter is supposed to give audible verbal clues as to what's going on during the post. I'm not getting anything. Does this only work if your speakers are plugged into the onboard sound? I have that disabled and am using the audigy card from my old machine.

2. Where would I go to make sure that the cpu is utilizing the 800mhz FSB of the board? I bought P4 2.4 800mhz but I want to make sure its communicating at that speed. Also same question on the memory. Bought PC3200 (ddr400) and want to make sure that the memory is operating at that speed.

Again, I'm new to a lot of this so I apologize if these questions are stupid.

Thanks again
-Geoff

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
1) To the best of my knowledge, the post reporter only works with the onboard sound.

2) You should be able to find that info in the BIOS, or through SiSoft Sandra. You can download the latest version <A HREF="http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir=dload&location=sware_dl_x86&langx=en&a=" target="_new">here</A>

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB (Storage)
Maxtor 6GB (System)
Maxtor 120GB
LG 24x24x32 CDR
WIN2K PRo SP4

jugghead23

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
I guess I could try with the onboard sound, but I don't think its THAT important. I looked at the board and documentation and as far as I can tell there is no jumper to enable/disable/mute the post reporter. There is only a way to enable/disable through the bios.

As far as CPU and memory speeds, I did thumb through all the bios screens looking for this information but I didn't see anything that resembled 800mhz for the cpu/fsb or 400mhz for the memory. maybe I just don't understand what its telling me (very highly possible, learning as I go).

I will dl and install SiSoft Sandra when I get home tonight to see what that tells me.

Thanks