  • Partition
  • Boot
  • Windows XP
August 27, 2005 9:02:01 PM

If I'm in the wrong area please let me know.
I have a p4 1.4 ,512MB, 80GB IDE Primary Drive.
I had 2 Windows XP partitions set up for multiboot. I decided to add
another partition so I used Partition Magic to create a new partition (from
the e: drive). I set it up to so the new partition was created from some
extra space in the c: and e: drive.
Everything seemed to go well but when I restarted and tried to boot I could
not boot into the c: drive. Actually the PC booted up to the login screen.
The login screen never actuall showed. Just a light blue screen with the
"Windows XP" logo on it.
Fast forward a couple of stupid steps and now when I boot I get the Ntldr
Missing error message.
I pulled this drive and put it in another PC as a Slave. My e: partition is
visible, my new partition is visible but the c: partition is not.
Is there a way to undo what I've done?
Can I copy windows system files to the e: partition so it's bootable again.
BTW, I tried using the Recovery Console to FIXBOOT. It didn't work. I also
tried FIXMBR- I think this might have caused the problem.
I'd like to get back to where I can chose an OS to boot into. I'm not
afraid to tinker in system files - I have some knowledge.
Any advice would be appreciated.

More about : multi boot bad

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 11:24:12 PM

How to install the Recovery Console
You can install the Recovery Console on your computer to make it available
if you cannot restart Windows. You can then select the Recovery Console
option from the list of available operating systems during startup. Install
the Recovery Console on important servers and on the workstations of IT
personnel. This article describes how to install the Recovery Console to
your Microsoft Windows XP-based computer. To install the Recovery Console,
you must be logged on as an administrator.

Although you can run the Recovery Console by starting directly from the
Windows XP CD, it is generally more convenient to set it up as a startup
option on your startup menu. To run the Recover Console directly from the
CD, see the "How to use the Recovery Console" section.

To install the Recovery Console, follow these steps: 1. Insert the Windows
XP CD into the CD-ROM drive.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons where d is the
drive letter for the CD-ROM drive.
4. A Windows Setup Dialog Box appears. The Windows Setup Dialog Box
describes the Recovery Console option. To confirm the installation, click
Yes.
5. Restart the computer. The next time that you start your computer,
"Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" appears on the startup menu.
Alternatively, you can use a Universal Naming Convention (UNC)-established
connection to install the Recovery Console from a network share point.

!