Closed

deleting a file or folder

I have a folder on my desktop that I want to delete. Everything was deleted
out of the main folder but one folder. Whenever I go to delete either folder
an error message pops up telling me that it cannot find the specified file
and to make sure that I specify the correct path and file name. I'd like to
remove the pesky file but I can't figure out how to do it.
6 answers Last reply
More about deleting file folder

    Try restarting your computer.

    >I have a folder on my desktop that I want to delete. Everything was deleted
    > out of the main folder but one folder. Whenever I go to delete either
    > folder
    > an error message pops up telling me that it cannot find the specified file
    > and to make sure that I specify the correct path and file name. I'd like
    > remove the pesky file but I can't figure out how to do it.

    I've restarted my computer, I've booted up in Safe Mode, and I've tried using
    the command prompt to remove it. I receive the same error for all those
    methods.

    "Dennis Marks" wrote:

    > Try restarting your computer.
    >
    > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a folder on my desktop that I want to delete. Everything was deleted
    > > out of the main folder but one folder. Whenever I go to delete either
    > > folder
    > > an error message pops up telling me that it cannot find the specified file
    > > and to make sure that I specify the correct path and file name. I'd like
    > > remove the pesky file but I can't figure out how to do it.

    You can try renaming it, then deleting it. And, try deleting it from
    Explorer.
    Or, go to Start>run>search, type the folder/file name, search, then try
    deleting it from there.

    > I've restarted my computer, I've booted up in Safe Mode, and I've tried
    > using
    > the command prompt to remove it. I receive the same error for all those
    > methods.
    >
    > "Dennis Marks" wrote:
    >
    >> Try restarting your computer.
    >>
    >> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a folder on my desktop that I want to delete. Everything was
    >> >deleted
    >> > out of the main folder but one folder. Whenever I go to delete either
    >> > folder
    >> > an error message pops up telling me that it cannot find the specified
    >> > file
    >> > and to make sure that I specify the correct path and file name. I'd
    >> > like
    >> > remove the pesky file but I can't figure out how to do it.

    Install this program called unlocker after it is installed then right click
    the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file or folder is locked then
    a window will appear with a list of processes locking the file or folder.
    Select the locks and click Unlock and you are done.
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/unlocker170.exe If that does not work then
    try Killbox http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/killbox.zip

    > I've restarted my computer, I've booted up in Safe Mode, and I've tried
    > using
    > the command prompt to remove it. I receive the same error for all those
    > methods.
    >
    > "Dennis Marks" wrote:
    >
    >> Try restarting your computer.
    >>
    >> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a folder on my desktop that I want to delete. Everything was
    >> >deleted
    >> > out of the main folder but one folder. Whenever I go to delete either
    >> > folder
    >> > an error message pops up telling me that it cannot find the specified
    >> > file
    >> > and to make sure that I specify the correct path and file name. I'd
    >> > like
    >> > remove the pesky file but I can't figure out how to do it.

    right click the folder then hit delete
    >I have a folder on my desktop that I want to delete. Everything was deleted
    > out of the main folder but one folder. Whenever I go to delete either
    > folder
    > an error message pops up telling me that it cannot find the specified file
    > and to make sure that I specify the correct path and file name. I'd like
    > remove the pesky file but I can't figure out how to do it.

    I had the same problem yesterday and
    Purge IE worked great for me.

    http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm

    "ruffin" <ruffin1001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > right click the folder then hit delete
    > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a folder on my desktop that I want to delete. Everything was
    >>deleted
    >> out of the main folder but one folder. Whenever I go to delete either
    >> folder
    >> an error message pops up telling me that it cannot find the specified
    >> file
    >> and to make sure that I specify the correct path and file name. I'd like
    >> remove the pesky file but I can't figure out how to do it.

Windows XP