kye199

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2001
Dear Jebus help me. Ok the hard drive died on my friends PC, he went out and got a new 160gb Maxtor drive thinking oh wow look at the space. So he's trying to make that the main and only hard drive on his computer. But the ECS K7S5A won't seem to recognize it, eventhough we installed Win2k on it already on another computer. Says: No Boot Record Found. Please insert medium with boot device (or something to that extent)

The drive boots up fine on my Asus A7n8x.

Anything I can do to the k7s5a?

Thanks

Now we're rockin like dokken!

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got an 80 Gig Maxtor on that board and it works just fine. I'm not aware there is a size limitation... Couple of things to try. First switch power plugs, I've had a dead plug off the power supply before. Second, try a different IDE cable, and of course make sure you've got Pin 1 on the board to Pin 1 on the drive.

Good luck!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oh, and another thought... What do you have the drive jumpered to? If it's on Cable Select, try Master.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

endyen

Splendid
if you have a cd-drive attached to the same ide cable, this may be causing the problem. If you set the cdrom as such in the bios it may help. While you are there, you could get the bios to detect your hdd as well.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It might require a BIOS update to support drives over 120GB. Also, he might have the BIOS set to the old drive's type, instead of Auto. I usually do that on my system to decrease boot time.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

tabelseth

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2003
Check the motherboard revision. The manual for the ECS K7S5A 1.0 lists the box contents as having a EIDE66 Cable. Check the motherboard revision, you may need to try a cable rated for EIDE 100.

"This space for rent."