so frustrated with new computer

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
August 29, 2005 6:05:34 PM

Hi everyone
I hope someone can help me, I am fairly new to computers.
I have a 2 month old computer. HP Pavillion running WINXP with DVD burner
and a CD Drive.

I have had it in to the store for repairs (STAPLES) twice now. I will have
to take it in again.
Problem is I will be using it fine and then walk away and when I come back
later the screen goes to black with the words Reboot and select proper boot
media.
So i do that and nothing works I cannot get into windows. I will try this
on and off during the day and then will sometimes get to the screen where it
shows a bunch of messages including Master Boot Record Error. One time it
said backup your files hard drive failure imminent.

The thing is the last time I took it in for repair on this problem (last
week) the tech said it started up fine but he saw spyware on it when he did
a scan. So he sold me Spysweeper and charged for installation ($68.00)
Said the problem was spyware. There was already a spyware program on my
computer preinstalled plus Norton Security with all the bells and whistles.
Like I said this is a brand new computer.

So I get this supposedly fixed computer home yesterday and start it up no
problem. But later in the day it went to that boot screen again. (same
problem)

So now I am using my old WINME computer to talk to you guys.

Question is what is going on and how do I resolve this issue.

Should I take it back for repair. Should I ask for a brand new one?

Also if they exchange my computer, what about all my documents and photos
that are on my computer, I have backups but I don't want to leave them with
my personal info.

Sorry this is so long but I don't know what to do and I am so frustrated.
Thanks in advance.
I will await your replies anxiously.

More about : frustrated computer

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 6:05:35 PM

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:05:34 GMT, Ninip wrote:

> I hope someone can help me, I am fairly new to computers.
> I have a 2 month old computer. HP Pavillion running WINXP with DVD burner
> and a CD Drive.
>
> I have had it in to the store for repairs (STAPLES) twice now. I will have
> to take it in again.
> Problem is I will be using it fine and then walk away and when I come back
> later the screen goes to black with the words Reboot and select proper boot
> media.
> So i do that and nothing works I cannot get into windows. I will try this
> on and off during the day and then will sometimes get to the screen where it
> shows a bunch of messages including Master Boot Record Error. One time it
> said backup your files hard drive failure imminent.

You received a S.M.A.R.T. warning about imminent drive failure? It is rare
for SMART to be wrong. The other problems could be easily caused by a
faulty hard drive or hard drive controller.

If the system is still under warranty, the hard drive should be replaced
and with most warranties there is no charge. You'll want to check your
warranty terms to see if it's covered or not. If it is, point that out to
the store so that you don't get charged. Also be sure to tell them you
received a SMART warning.

Aside: Don't let them side step or dismiss the SMART warning. I had one for
a Maxtor drive. When I called their tech support, they had me reset the
SMART status. I moved the drive (made it a secondary drive and bought a new
primary) so that it wasn't doing anything critical but the warning returned
after a month. Called tech support again and they finally replaced it.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Two months old take it back and get another one. SMART has detected that a
hard drive failure may be imminent. means your drive can go at anytime.Tell
them that you got that message. They will probably just want to put in a new
drive. Or you can just call HP you system is still under warranty. BTW
Spysweeper cost $39.00 at Best Buy and you can install it yourself.

"Ninip" <gwen6039@home.com> wrote in message
news:o CEQe.333438$s54.222553@pd7tw2no...
> Hi everyone
> I hope someone can help me, I am fairly new to computers.
> I have a 2 month old computer. HP Pavillion running WINXP with DVD burner
> and a CD Drive.
>
> I have had it in to the store for repairs (STAPLES) twice now. I will
> have
> to take it in again.
> Problem is I will be using it fine and then walk away and when I come back
> later the screen goes to black with the words Reboot and select proper
> boot
> media.
> So i do that and nothing works I cannot get into windows. I will try this
> on and off during the day and then will sometimes get to the screen where
> it
> shows a bunch of messages including Master Boot Record Error. One time it
> said backup your files hard drive failure imminent.
>
> The thing is the last time I took it in for repair on this problem (last
> week) the tech said it started up fine but he saw spyware on it when he
> did
> a scan. So he sold me Spysweeper and charged for installation ($68.00)
> Said the problem was spyware. There was already a spyware program on my
> computer preinstalled plus Norton Security with all the bells and
> whistles.
> Like I said this is a brand new computer.
>
> So I get this supposedly fixed computer home yesterday and start it up no
> problem. But later in the day it went to that boot screen again. (same
> problem)
>
> So now I am using my old WINME computer to talk to you guys.
>
> Question is what is going on and how do I resolve this issue.
>
> Should I take it back for repair. Should I ask for a brand new one?
>
> Also if they exchange my computer, what about all my documents and photos
> that are on my computer, I have backups but I don't want to leave them
> with
> my personal info.
>
> Sorry this is so long but I don't know what to do and I am so frustrated.
> Thanks in advance.
> I will await your replies anxiously.

August 29, 2005 7:56:46 PM

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> Two months old take it back and get another one. SMART has detected that a
> hard drive failure may be imminent. means your drive can go at
anytime.Tell
> them that you got that message. They will probably just want to put in a
new
> drive. Or you can just call HP you system is still under warranty. BTW
> Spysweeper cost $39.00 at Best Buy and you can install it yourself.

> "Ninip" <gwen6039@home.com> wrote in message
> news:o CEQe.333438$s54.222553@pd7tw2no...
> > Hi everyone
> > I hope someone can help me, I am fairly new to computers.
> > I have a 2 month old computer. HP Pavillion running WINXP with DVD
burner
> > and a CD Drive.
> >
> > I have had it in to the store for repairs (STAPLES) twice now. I will
> > have
> > to take it in again.
> > Problem is I will be using it fine and then walk away and when I come
back
> > later the screen goes to black with the words Reboot and select proper
> > boot
> > media.
> > So i do that and nothing works I cannot get into windows. I will try
this
> > on and off during the day and then will sometimes get to the screen
where
> > it
> > shows a bunch of messages including Master Boot Record Error. One time
it
> > said backup your files hard drive failure imminent.
> >
> > The thing is the last time I took it in for repair on this problem (last
> > week) the tech said it started up fine but he saw spyware on it when he
> > did
> > a scan. So he sold me Spysweeper and charged for installation ($68.00)
> > Said the problem was spyware. There was already a spyware program on my
> > computer preinstalled plus Norton Security with all the bells and
> > whistles.
> > Like I said this is a brand new computer.
> >
> > So I get this supposedly fixed computer home yesterday and start it up
no
> > problem. But later in the day it went to that boot screen again. (same
> > problem)
> >
> > So now I am using my old WINME computer to talk to you guys.
> >
> > Question is what is going on and how do I resolve this issue.
> >
> > Should I take it back for repair. Should I ask for a brand new one?
> >
> > Also if they exchange my computer, what about all my documents and
photos
> > that are on my computer, I have backups but I don't want to leave them
> > with
> > my personal info.
> >
> > Sorry this is so long but I don't know what to do and I am so
frustrated.
> > Thanks in advance.
> > I will await your replies anxiously.

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 9:58:30 PM

Talk to the manager. If the files are recoverable then they can get them.
You should probably purchase a thumb drive and have them put the info on
that if it will fit.

> [...]
>> > whistles.
>> > Like I said this is a brand new computer.
>> >
>> > So I get this supposedly fixed computer home yesterday and start it up
> no
>> > problem. But later in the day it went to that boot screen again.
>> > (same
>> > problem)
>> >
>> > So now I am using my old WINME computer to talk to you guys.
>> >
>> > Question is what is going on and how do I resolve this issue.
>> >
>> > Should I take it back for repair. Should I ask for a brand new one?
>> >
>> > Also if they exchange my computer, what about all my documents and
> photos
>> > that are on my computer, I have backups but I don't want to leave them
>> > with
>> > my personal info.
>> >
>> > Sorry this is so long but I don't know what to do and I am so

August 29, 2005 10:14:21 PM

I have backup cd's of my personal files and pics at home.
My question is Everything is still on the faulty computer which I cannot
delete because I cannot get into windows.
so when I give them back their faulty computer for an exchange, they will
also have all my personal info.
What do people do in a case like this?
Thanks

http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
> >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
> >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
> >>

> >> "Ninip" <gwen6039@home.com> wrote in message
> >> news:o CEQe.333438$s54.222553@pd7tw2no...
> > burner

> > back
> > this
> > where
> > it

> > no

> > photos

> > frustrated.

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 10:49:12 PM

Demand that they wipe it. If the drive is accessible then it can be wiped.

!