exchanging computer at store advice neede

August 29, 2005 8:58:42 PM

Hi all

If I do manage to exchange my faulty WINXP computer for a new one at
Staples, what about all my personal info on that faulty computer?

Do I just hand over my old computer with everything still on it (I can't get
into it to delete my personal files and Pictures)

Doesn't seem right.
Pls help me figure this out.
Thanks in advance.
August 29, 2005 8:58:43 PM

You have a few options:

1) Try and get the computer running long enough to copy all your files to a
cd or thumbdrive.

2) Get Staples to try and get the files off the hard drive for you when you
bring it back.

3) Take out the hard drive and put it into another computer as the slave
drive to try and access your files. Since you said you have a Win ME
computer, you may not be able to do this if the hard drive is in NTFS format.
If the drive is still FAT32, then it will work.

For the record, why did you buy a computer from Staples ?? That's the last
place I'd buy a computer.

MD

"Ninip" wrote:

> Hi all
>
> If I do manage to exchange my faulty WINXP computer for a new one at
> Staples, what about all my personal info on that faulty computer?
>
> Do I just hand over my old computer with everything still on it (I can't get
> into it to delete my personal files and Pictures)
>
> Doesn't seem right.
> Pls help me figure this out.
> Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 8:58:43 PM

"Ninip" <gwen6039@home.com> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>If I do manage to exchange my faulty WINXP computer for a new one at
>Staples, what about all my personal info on that faulty computer?
>
>Do I just hand over my old computer with everything still on it (I can't get
>into it to delete my personal files and Pictures)
>
>Doesn't seem right.
>Pls help me figure this out.
>Thanks in advance.

If Staples takes the computer back it will almost certainly be sent to
HP to be refurbished. That will involve, at a minimum, wiping out the
hard drive completely and installing a fresh copy of Windows.

It would be better, at least for your peace of mind, if you could wipe
out the data from the hard drive, but I would not be unduly concerned
in this instance.

Have you tried accessing the System Recovery function in your
computer's BIOS setup? Try pressing the F10 keyduring the intial
startup sequence, or watch the screen for instructions on starting
"System Recovery".

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
August 30, 2005 3:20:17 AM

Staples has some really nice systems now, at a good price.

"MadDog" <MadDog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You have a few options:
>
> 1) Try and get the computer running long enough to copy all your files to
> cd or thumbdrive.
>
> 2) Get Staples to try and get the files off the hard drive for you when
> you
> bring it back.
>
> 3) Take out the hard drive and put it into another computer as the slave
> drive to try and access your files. Since you said you have a Win ME
> computer, you may not be able to do this if the hard drive is in NTFS
> format.
> If the drive is still FAT32, then it will work.
>
> For the record, why did you buy a computer from Staples ?? That's the
> last
> place I'd buy a computer.
>

> MD
>
> "Ninip" wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> If I do manage to exchange my faulty WINXP computer for a new one at
>> Staples, what about all my personal info on that faulty computer?
>>
>> Do I just hand over my old computer with everything still on it (I can't
>> get
>> into it to delete my personal files and Pictures)
>>
>> Doesn't seem right.
>> Pls help me figure this out.
>> Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 3:28:20 AM

was told if you get a really strong magnet and run it across the hard drive,
that will wipe out everything on it
--
xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
vig mobo,900gz,

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "Ninip" <gwen6039@home.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi all
> >
> >If I do manage to exchange my faulty WINXP computer for a new one at
> >Staples, what about all my personal info on that faulty computer?
> >
> >Do I just hand over my old computer with everything still on it (I can't get
> >into it to delete my personal files and Pictures)
> >
> >Doesn't seem right.
> >Pls help me figure this out.
> >Thanks in advance.
> >

> If Staples takes the computer back it will almost certainly be sent to
> HP to be refurbished. That will involve, at a minimum, wiping out the
> hard drive completely and installing a fresh copy of Windows.
>
> It would be better, at least for your peace of mind, if you could wipe
> out the data from the hard drive, but I would not be unduly concerned
> in this instance.
>
> Have you tried accessing the System Recovery function in your
> computer's BIOS setup? Try pressing the F10 keyduring the intial
> startup sequence, or watch the screen for instructions on starting
> "System Recovery".
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 6:51:39 PM

I doubt you're going to find a magnet "really strong" enough to wipe a hard
drive.

"matchstich" <matchstich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> was told if you get a really strong magnet and run it across the hard
> drive,
> that will wipe out everything on it
> --
> xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
> vig mobo,900gz,
> computer newbie
>

> "Ron Martell" wrote:
>
>> "Ninip" <gwen6039@home.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi all
>> >
>> >If I do manage to exchange my faulty WINXP computer for a new one at
>> >Staples, what about all my personal info on that faulty computer?
>> >
>> >Do I just hand over my old computer with everything still on it (I can't
>> >get
>> >into it to delete my personal files and Pictures)
>> >
>> >Doesn't seem right.
>> >Pls help me figure this out.
>> >Thanks in advance.
>> >

>> If Staples takes the computer back it will almost certainly be sent to
>> HP to be refurbished. That will involve, at a minimum, wiping out the
>> hard drive completely and installing a fresh copy of Windows.
>>
>> It would be better, at least for your peace of mind, if you could wipe
>> out the data from the hard drive, but I would not be unduly concerned
>> in this instance.
>>
>> Have you tried accessing the System Recovery function in your
>> computer's BIOS setup? Try pressing the F10 keyduring the intial
>> startup sequence, or watch the screen for instructions on starting
>> "System Recovery".
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 6:53:47 PM

MadDog wrote:

> For the record, why did you buy a computer from Staples ?? That's
> the last place I'd buy a computer.

There's only one reason I can think of - it was one of their Deals of the
Week. We have Staples over here too and the last time I saw one of their ads
in the national press they were selling 3GHz HPs for something silly like
£399. But you're right, it never pays to purchase a cheap system from a big
chain store. Buying from an independent might cost you more initially but
you'll be quids-in in the long run - and you'll have saved yourself a
helluva lot of grief.

I tell you what else, I bet that system has barely enough RAM to run XP.
Stores like Staples sell systems on processor power alone - you read the
small print and you'll find it has 256 or even 128MB RAM.

For the record, there are utilities that will allow read-only access to an
NTFS drive from a FAT32 based OS. I used one successfully some while ago,
though I forget the name (Googling will bear fruit, I'm sure).

It's also worth bearing in mind (though I doubt this will help the OP) that
file systems are irrelevant when accessing a disk over a network.
August 30, 2005 7:04:18 PM

> For the record, there are utilities that will allow read-only access
> to an NTFS drive from a FAT32 based OS. I used one successfully some
> while ago, though I forget the name (Googling will bear fruit, I'm
> sure).

A live Linux CD like Knoppix will do that..........

> It's also worth bearing in mind (though I doubt this will help the
> OP) that file systems are irrelevant when accessing a disk over a
> network.
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 8:36:36 PM

The computer cost me $1100.00 Canadian and that is without a monitor, for I
had a LCD monitor already. Also it did not come with speakers. I don't
think that this would be considered a cheap computer.

WINXP Home with Serivce Pk 2
HP Pavillion a1030n
512 MB ram
200 GB Hard drive
Pentium 4
DVD Rom
CD writer
3 GHz

Thanks
> MadDog wrote:
>
> > For the record, why did you buy a computer from Staples ?? That's
> > the last place I'd buy a computer.
>

> There's only one reason I can think of - it was one of their Deals of the
> Week. We have Staples over here too and the last time I saw one of their
> in the national press they were selling 3GHz HPs for something silly like
> £399. But you're right, it never pays to purchase a cheap system from a
big
> chain store. Buying from an independent might cost you more initially but
> you'll be quids-in in the long run - and you'll have saved yourself a
> helluva lot of grief.
>
> I tell you what else, I bet that system has barely enough RAM to run XP.
> Stores like Staples sell systems on processor power alone - you read the
> small print and you'll find it has 256 or even 128MB RAM.
>
> For the record, there are utilities that will allow read-only access to an
> NTFS drive from a FAT32 based OS. I used one successfully some while ago,
> though I forget the name (Googling will bear fruit, I'm sure).
>
> It's also worth bearing in mind (though I doubt this will help the OP)
that
> file systems are irrelevant when accessing a disk over a network.

August 30, 2005 8:36:37 PM

That's around $922 in US dollars, a bit more than you'd spend here.

In any case, spending that much money, you'd expect the darn thing to work
consistently.

Make a big noise at Staple's if they don't give you any satisfaction.

Good Luck.

MD

!