Qustion on Prepaid Verizon Plan

Last response: in Network Providers
July 14, 2004 10:40:25 AM

Our family of five has never owned a cell phone. Now with a daughter
away at college in western NY (we live on Long Island), we're looking
at the various plans offered by Verizon. We will probably go with two
phones (one for our daughter and one for the rest of us to share).

Since we don't expect to make a lot of calls, the "Pay as you go" plan
seems much more economical than the "America's Choice" family plan.

As I understand it, with "pay as you go" each call has a 25-cent
connection fee and then a 10-cent/min flat rate. Do those same
fees/rates apply to incoming calls?

By my estimates, a "pay as you go" plan would cost about $180 to $360
each per year ($360 to $720 for two accounts) depending on usage (not
counting the phones), while the "America's Choice plan would cost
$960/year. Is there anything I'm overlooking that would make the
America's Choice family plan a better deal?

I figure that if the prepay plan doesn't work out, it should be easy
to switch to a contract plan, but the opposite is not true.

Thanks,
Art
July 14, 2004 2:20:36 PM

On 14 Jul 2004 06:40:25 -0700, n2ah@hotmail.com (Art Harris) wrote:

>As I understand it, with "pay as you go" each call has a 25-cent
>connection fee and then a 10-cent/min flat rate. Do those same
>fees/rates apply to incoming calls?

As far as I know, yes. It's not any different for incoming vs.
outgoing.

>By my estimates, a "pay as you go" plan would cost about $180 to $360
>each per year ($360 to $720 for two accounts) depending on usage (not
>counting the phones), while the "America's Choice plan would cost
>$960/year. Is there anything I'm overlooking that would make the
>America's Choice family plan a better deal?

Prepay is only a better deal if you make few calls. It sounds like
you've already done that calculation and figured out that it would be.
The only big problem there is if your usage patterns change
somewhat...then you could get socked because you're calling a lot more
than you expected to call. If you're reasonably sure this isn't going
to happen, it probably isn't a big deal.

But one thing to consider - there are no "free nights and weekends"
minutes with prepay...all calls are charged at the 25c/10c rate, 24/7.
They used to have weekend bonus minutes for prepay, but I'm not sure
how they're doing this. Virtually all postpaid plans VZW offers these
days have free night/weekend minutes, as far as I know. That may not
always have been the case, or may not always be the case, but if you
have such a plan, it will "hold over".

If you make a mere handful of calls, this may not make any difference
to you whatsoever.

>I figure that if the prepay plan doesn't work out, it should be easy
>to switch to a contract plan, but the opposite is not true.

The slight bad news: You can't actually "switch" from a prepay to a
contract/postpaid plan on the same phone number, since VZW uses a
different phone number block for prepay vs. postpaid. Yes, despite
"number portability", this doesn't apply, since you're changing within
VZW itself. You'll have to get a new number. Everything else would
be relatively painless, and of course, you'll have to have a credit
check for postpaid.

Mike
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 2:29:07 PM

Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:D vfaf0571c9dha4shein04447e8vime1vp@4ax.com:

>>By my estimates, a "pay as you go" plan would cost about $180 to $360
>>each per year ($360 to $720 for two accounts) depending on usage (not
>>counting the phones), while the "America's Choice plan would cost
>>$960/year. Is there anything I'm overlooking that would make the
>>America's Choice family plan a better deal?

A plan with free "in network" calls would allow unlimited calling between
phones.

A family plan with two phones would be cheaper than two seperate plans.

Many other prepaid plans are cheaper for low use $94 per year for a
refurbished tracfone. https://www.tracfone.com

Or look at https://www.consumercellular.com

Emergency National $9.99
30 National $14.99 Anytime Minutes : 30

90 National $19.99 Anytime Minutes : 90

200 National $24.99 Anytime Minutes : 200
July 14, 2004 9:56:39 PM

You seem to have thought of everything, but you may be underestimating
your daughter's usage, especially when friends, and especially a
boyfriend, come into the picture. I think for the most part the pre-
paid planes are used by people with horrible credit.

n2ah@hotmail.com (Art Harris) wrote in

> Our family of five has never owned a cell phone. Now with a daughter
> away at college in western NY (we live on Long Island), we're looking
> at the various plans offered by Verizon. We will probably go with two
> phones (one for our daughter and one for the rest of us to share).
>
> Since we don't expect to make a lot of calls, the "Pay as you go" plan
> seems much more economical than the "America's Choice" family plan.
>
> As I understand it, with "pay as you go" each call has a 25-cent
> connection fee and then a 10-cent/min flat rate. Do those same
> fees/rates apply to incoming calls?
>
> By my estimates, a "pay as you go" plan would cost about $180 to $360
> each per year ($360 to $720 for two accounts) depending on usage (not
> counting the phones), while the "America's Choice plan would cost
> $960/year. Is there anything I'm overlooking that would make the
> America's Choice family plan a better deal?
>
> I figure that if the prepay plan doesn't work out, it should be easy
> to switch to a contract plan, but the opposite is not true.

July 15, 2004 1:18:51 AM

In article <Xns95268DD7E98F0mregpanixcom@166.84.1.70>, mreg@panix.com
says...
> You seem to have thought of everything, but you may be underestimating
> your daughter's usage, especially when friends, and especially a
> boyfriend, come into the picture. I think for the most part the pre-
> paid planes are used by people with horrible credit.

Plus.. please note that while it sounds "pay as you go" minutes you
purchase expire. I think if you buy $15 they expire after 1 month
(please check website) and you have to keep feeling up or you will use
your minutes.

AP
July 15, 2004 7:47:28 AM

In article <dvfaf0571c9dha4shein04447e8vime1vp@4ax.com>, inundated9
@yahoo.com says...
> On 14 Jul 2004 06:40:25 -0700, n2ah@hotmail.com (Art Harris) wrote:
>
> >As I understand it, with "pay as you go" each call has a 25-cent
> >connection fee and then a 10-cent/min flat rate. Do those same
> >fees/rates apply to incoming calls?
>
> As far as I know, yes. It's not any different for incoming vs.
> outgoing.
>
> >By my estimates, a "pay as you go" plan would cost about $180 to $360
> >each per year ($360 to $720 for two accounts) depending on usage (not
> >counting the phones), while the "America's Choice plan would cost
> >$960/year. Is there anything I'm overlooking that would make the
> >America's Choice family plan a better deal?
>
> Prepay is only a better deal if you make few calls. It sounds like
> you've already done that calculation and figured out that it would be.
> The only big problem there is if your usage patterns change
> somewhat...then you could get socked because you're calling a lot more
> than you expected to call. If you're reasonably sure this isn't going
> to happen, it probably isn't a big deal.
>
> But one thing to consider - there are no "free nights and weekends"
> minutes with prepay...all calls are charged at the 25c/10c rate, 24/7.
> They used to have weekend bonus minutes for prepay, but I'm not sure
> how they're doing this. Virtually all postpaid plans VZW offers these
> days have free night/weekend minutes, as far as I know. That may not
> always have been the case, or may not always be the case, but if you
> have such a plan, it will "hold over".
>
> If you make a mere handful of calls, this may not make any difference
> to you whatsoever.
>
> >I figure that if the prepay plan doesn't work out, it should be easy
> >to switch to a contract plan, but the opposite is not true.
>
> The slight bad news: You can't actually "switch" from a prepay to a
> contract/postpaid plan on the same phone number, since VZW uses a
> different phone number block for prepay vs. postpaid. Yes, despite
> "number portability", this doesn't apply, since you're changing within
> VZW itself. You'll have to get a new number. Everything else would
> be relatively painless, and of course, you'll have to have a credit
> check for postpaid.
>
> Mike

You also don't have free mobile-to-mobile minutes which you might use
quite heavily if both you and your daughter have a phone with the VZ.

This bonus allows you to call each other on your cellphones, talk as
long as you wish, anytime day or night, and the minutes are all
completely free.

Louise
July 15, 2004 7:47:29 AM

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 03:47:28 GMT, Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:

>You also don't have free mobile-to-mobile minutes which you might use
>quite heavily if both you and your daughter have a phone with the VZ.

Very true. There used to be a 15c/min. mobile-to-mobile rate for VZW
prepay (calling other VZW customers either prepay or not), but it's
kind of a moot point now that they've moved to 25c/10c, unless it
applies to one minute calls. Still, it's much more expensive than
free.

Mike
!