Game that would run on my rig

prad

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
My System spec is....

Intel P4@3.00Ghz( processor 630,HT)
ATI Radeon HD 4770 graphics Card( 512MB GDDR5 ram)
1.2GB Ram(1024 + 256 GB)
Intel original 915G motherboard
500 Watt PSU
100( 80 + 20) GB HDD
Genuine XP pro

Sir....
Please suggest games that would run smoothly on my PC.
Games may be old( not too old)

plz
Thanks
:)

Solution
Crysis will run with that rig using mostly medium settings (a few high settings...tinker with it), that resolution, no AA, might be able to use some AF and you should get frame rates in the 20's and 30's.

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I would suggest you drop the $450 on a new rig without an OS and just move your copy of XP over to the new one and use your old one with Ubuntu. If you would like I could list what specs I'm talking about.

TheViper

Distinguished

If your monitor resolution isn't too taxing, you could probably play most modern games with decent frame rates on medium to high settings. Some may run OK with AA and AF thrown in.

prad

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Thanks...but got to do with this rig now....afterward say after 1 yr would go for an alienwarePC straight....so I think modern games would run at 1024x768 resolution with no AA and no AF.....Would crysis run on my PC and if it does ...then at what graphics settings.....
plz suggest me....

prad

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Would crysis run on my PC at 1024x768 resolution with no AA and no AF ...if it does the at with graphics settings...... plz suggest and all modern games at the above mentioned settings......

TheViper

Distinguished
Crysis will run with that rig using mostly medium settings (a few high settings...tinker with it), that resolution, no AA, might be able to use some AF and you should get frame rates in the 20's and 30's.

Solution

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
You need to be hitting 24fps or over,anything under that and you will notice it,like the above post says tinker with it,but unless you are loaded i would not go Alienware tbh,very over priced for what you get.

TheViper

Distinguished

Have to fully agree here.

You can build a high end rig yourself that will equal the Alienware system in performance and save quite literally a thousand dollars.

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
When you do get a new PC you should also look at custom build sites like Ibuypower and CyberpowerInc for it. A lot of options to choose from and you are not paying extra for a name. Have bought from sites like them before and have not had problems.

prad

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Is it very necessary that I have to upgrade my system or will my pc make till dates games so-so(approx 24 fps +)....
Will Max Payne 3 run on my PC...any guess considering the fact that they make a huge visual leap from max 1 to max 2...

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

+1 except...
I see the memory isn't in dual channeled. BIG loss.
and that vid card is a crazy mismatch.

.. play anyway.

megabyteme6662002

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

I saw somebody else try to justify the pricing of the two things... The prices actually came out sorta comparable, except...
All the hardware that Alienware was sub par... They used cheap ram, bad PSUs, etc... I dreamed up a single card gaming PC with an i7-920, everything was top notch, only cost 1400$.. THis excluded drives but thats not really a price issue..

Don't buy alienware unless you are too scared to piece together a system yourself, you will be happy you did!

ninjawarlord

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010

What do AA and AF stnd for ?
Please explain in detail....

TheViper

Distinguished

AA = Anti-Aliasing. It's a technique used to reduce the appearance of jagged edges on polygons. There are several different actual methods used and you can apply it in different strength levels. Usually 2x, 4x, 8x and 16x. The higher the strength, the more it drains the GPU.

AF = Anisotropic Filtering. This is a technique that enhances the texture quality of objects in the distance. It is most helpful with repeating patterns to move from the foreground to the background such as roads and tiles. Again there are different methods and strengths just as above but the impact on the GPU is not as severe.