cd & dvd

i have recently received a cd & a dvd from a freind in aus, i can play them
both on my pc but not on a cd player or in my home dvd player. the material
on them is not protected and is not pirated in any way. do i need any special
software to convert them, if of course they can be converted?
i have xp sp2.
--
seanpaul99
4 answers Last reply

    Hi,

    The dvd may be affected by the region (you can change it a limited number of
    time on the computer, but not on your home DVD player).

    The CD player may not support the format used to create the CD. Do you know
    what software was used to create the media?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "seanpaul99" <seanpaul99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i have recently received a cd & a dvd from a freind in aus, i can play them
    > both on my pc but not on a cd player or in my home dvd player. the
    > material
    > on them is not protected and is not pirated in any way. do i need any
    > special
    > software to convert them, if of course they can be converted?
    > i have xp sp2.
    > --
    > seanpaul99

    If these are a CD and a DVD that were created by your friend, he may not
    have "closed out" the disks correctly, so as to be readable in "any" device.
    It is an option available in the Roxio products (don't know about Nero), if
    he used said program to burn the disks.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    seanpaul99 Wrote:
    > i have recently received a cd & a dvd from a freind in aus, i can play
    > them
    > both on my pc but not on a cd player or in my home dvd player. the
    > material
    > on them is not protected and is not pirated in any way. do i need any
    > special
    > software to convert them, if of course they can be converted?
    > i have xp sp2.
    > --
    > seanpaul99

    The problem with the CD could be that it contains data and not music
    tracks.
    I assume it is a music CD? A data CD can be played in a computer but CD
    players require a CD formatted with CD tracks. The DVD problem could be
    the same thing, or if it is a film, it could be that the region on your
    player does not include Australia.
    Can you tell me what kind of data they both contain?

    --
    aginart

    sorry didn't make it clear, both the cd & dvd were creafed in the uk but sent
    to me from oz, the cd is music (data?) & the dvd is a video. the video will
    play on media player 10 and the cd will play on musicmatch 9. don't know if
    that will help you to help me.
    --
    seanpaul99

    "aginart" wrote:

    > seanpaul99 Wrote:
    > > i have recently received a cd & a dvd from a freind in aus, i can play
    > > them
    > > both on my pc but not on a cd player or in my home dvd player. the
    > > material
    > > on them is not protected and is not pirated in any way. do i need any
    > > special
    > > software to convert them, if of course they can be converted?
    > > i have xp sp2.
    > > --
    > > seanpaul99
    >
    > The problem with the CD could be that it contains data and not music
    > tracks.
    > I assume it is a music CD? A data CD can be played in a computer but CD
    > players require a CD formatted with CD tracks. The DVD problem could be
    > the same thing, or if it is a film, it could be that the region on your
    > player does not include Australia.
    > Can you tell me what kind of data they both contain?
    >

    > --
    > aginart

DVD CD-Rom Windows XP