Sign in with
Your question

My PC doesn't run games well anymore... Help Please

Last response: in Video Games
December 19, 2009 10:41:46 PM

I used to be able to run WoW very smoothly on everything maxed out, but now all my games are having problems. One day, I just couldn't run games well anymore. This was a couple months ago so I can't remember what was going on exactly at the time.

Here's what generally happens. I launch the game, and everything runs smoothly. However when I go into an area or situation that is more graphically intensive, my framerates start dropping often below 15fps in inconsistant spurts. This even happens at the lowest settings.

This just doesn't make sense to me. At first, I thought it could be my internet even though my latency is not high. I called my ISP and they sent out a technician who checked things and replaced my modem and everything. That did not help. My computer far surpasses therecommended requirements to play. My computer is less than a year old. Here are some of my specs.

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor
CPU Speed: 2.20 GHz
RAM: 5.7 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9100

I don't know a lot about computers, but I did all I could think of. I scanned for infections with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes, but nothing came up. I also tried defragging, but that had no effect. I downloaded the latest video driver, but did not help. I pulled up the task manager, and nothing seems to be easing up RAM.

Any thoughts?

More about : run games anymore

December 20, 2009 3:12:33 AM

When you said your computer used to be able to run everything maxed out, was that the same computer you're using now?

Your processor surpasses requirements needed to play WoW. I don't have WoW installed on my computer at the moment, but I've heard ( probably on this website) that turning off "multiple core" rendering can help out the problem.

Is there an option for you to turn this off? Again I can't check since I don't have WoW on this computer. Of course if you're using the same computer as before then the issue must be something else.

I know that a new patch came out for WoW just recently. Did the problem occur after you downloaded this new Patch?

I remember when a similar situatoin affected my WoW play. New patch comes out and my FPS dropped. Could be a WoW software problem and not your computer.

m
l
December 20, 2009 9:10:04 PM

Have you updated any drivers,sometimes the most resent drivers do not work as well as the older ones,on a number of games i have had to re-install the old driver i replaced with the most recent one. I have a 9950 2.6,so its not that different from yours and it runs WOW fine,if the drivers dont work check see if a stick of memory has gone down,highly unlikely,but with pc`s its a prosess of illimination iam afraid
m
l
Related resources
!