Windows Backup Utilities

August 30, 2005 9:11:04 AM

I upgraded my Windows ME system to XP service pack 2. When I try to open my
backup files created by the ME backup utility I get a file type not
recognized error. Is there anyway I can open or convert my Window ME backups?
--
RJO
Anonymous

Cannot Restore Backups That You Create in Windows 95, Windows 98,
or Windows Me with the Windows XP Ntbackup Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305381

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"RJO" wrote:

| I upgraded my Windows ME system to XP service pack 2. When I try to open my
| backup files created by the ME backup utility I get a file type not
| recognized error. Is there anyway I can open or convert my Window ME backups?
| --
| RJO
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 6:36:29 PM

"RJO" <RJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I upgraded my Windows ME system to XP service pack 2. When I try to open
>my
> backup files created by the ME backup utility I get a file type not
> recognized error. Is there anyway I can open or convert my Window ME
> backups?
> --
> RJO

This is the major reason I'm not fond of any backup software. You pretty
much have to have the same software to restore. Which is fine if you're
using the software on one computer and the intent is to backup and restore
to that machine and you're not worried about upgrading or archiving the data
for long-term storage.

There are allegedly software programs that can read those backups; I haven't
used any, so I can't recommend any. A better bet might be to find a WinMe
computer, restore the data, and then copy it to CDs or a spare hard drive or
something. No compression, no backups, no proprietary formats.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 2:30:43 AM

Only if you backed up to tape without using software compression.

If you typed ntbackup and 98 in Help while online it would have told you.
!