Windows Backup Utilities

I upgraded my Windows ME system to XP service pack 2. When I try to open my
backup files created by the ME backup utility I get a file type not
recognized error. Is there anyway I can open or convert my Window ME backups?
--
RJO
3 answers Last reply

    Cannot Restore Backups That You Create in Windows 95, Windows 98,
    or Windows Me with the Windows XP Ntbackup Tool
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305381

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "RJO" <RJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I upgraded my Windows ME system to XP service pack 2. When I try to open
    >my
    > backup files created by the ME backup utility I get a file type not
    > recognized error. Is there anyway I can open or convert my Window ME
    > backups?
    > --
    > RJO

    This is the major reason I'm not fond of any backup software. You pretty
    much have to have the same software to restore. Which is fine if you're
    using the software on one computer and the intent is to backup and restore
    to that machine and you're not worried about upgrading or archiving the data
    for long-term storage.

    There are allegedly software programs that can read those backups; I haven't
    used any, so I can't recommend any. A better bet might be to find a WinMe
    computer, restore the data, and then copy it to CDs or a spare hard drive or
    something. No compression, no backups, no proprietary formats.

    Only if you backed up to tape without using software compression.

    If you typed ntbackup and 98 in Help while online it would have told you.
    "RJO" <RJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9CE5E1F-A3B8-4C83-B7B4-8886E3FEFF21@microsoft.com...
    >I upgraded my Windows ME system to XP service pack 2. When I try to open my
    > backup files created by the ME backup utility I get a file type not
    > recognized error. Is there anyway I can open or convert my Window ME backups?
    > --
    > RJO

Windows Me Backup Microsoft Windows XP