Which board

SJJM

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
I am looking at the msi 865 and the asus p4p800.
I really like the asus board, I was wondering if the csa makes a difference for the system. If id does I will get the msi, but if it does not then I will get asus. So if anyone knows if it helps performance out or not that will make my desion.

<font color=blue>"You know, that my backstab attack does double the damage. I can make an off button for him." </font color=blue> :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
CSA helps make gigabit connections support that speed in two directions simultaniously, but I doubt you'll see other hardware (such as hard drives) that can take advantage of those gains for YEARS. I mean to say, you can only transfer files over a network as fast as the drive transfers them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

SJJM

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
I was wondering more about the pci bus. Does having a lan that is using csa help take a load off of the pci bus.

<font color=blue>"You know, that my backstab attack does double the damage. I can make an off button for him." </font color=blue> :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It should, but I'm not so sure new chipsets still limit all combined PCI devices to the bandwidth of one.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
any 100 mb NIC will be able to transfer files quickly enough that HD would not be able to coup with it.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wrong! 100Mb NIC stands for MegaBIT, divide by 8 to get megabytes and you'll see that nearly any hard drive can keep up. The new Gigabit standard is 133MB/s, which does indeed exceed the limits of current drives.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
pipel, you are so smart, wow, you think that drives can constantly provide 13 megabites of data, and if even so, you think the other drive can write with such speed at constant rate??? if you do, good for you, keep on dreaming.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

SJJM

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
My raid reads at 80mb and writes just as fast. So yes I think that other raid drives can handle that. In fact I am hopeing to get better speeds with the raptor harddrives that I am getting. But what does it matter, what I want to know is if csa helps not about transefer speeds. I don't want my lan connection slowing down my pci bus if I can help it. So if you have nothing to say about this, plz just don't say anything at all.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've never seen my single drive drop below 20MB/s. The slowest drive I use is still operating at 12-20MB/s, and that's from a USB 2.0 encloser.