Tellme

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
I would like to upgrade my P3, 500 to an Athlon 2500 with an Asus A7V8X-X mobo. Is it as simple as replacing the motherboard, CPU and RAM while keeping my 2hdd's, CD-R, soundcard and video card. The OS currently is Win 98se but will be changing XP soon. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

G

It should work. You'll just have reinstall windows though.

G

I had another thought.

If your win98 is on a recovery cd, like you get from HP, Compaq, Dell, or whatever, it won't work. They only work on their particular name brands.

Also, you may need to upgrade your power supply. You didn't say what you have now. You'll want something in the 350w range or higher.

Tellme

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
Thanks for your input. I'm good for the Win 98 se install and currently have a 300 watt pwr supply. Good thought on upgrading that too. I know my soundcard and video card are compatible with the intended mobo.

G

Looks like your ready to go then.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
XP isn't really an upgrade from 98SE, just a change. The only reason I'd go with XP is if you find a lack of driver support under 98SE.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
A) I agree with Crashman on the OS bit;
b) I highly recommend that you get an Nforce2 chipset, rather than that VIA board - They are well worth the extra cash IMO.. (plus soundstorm will almost certainly be better than your current sound card too!)

Are you planning on dabbling in Overclocking? That chip is a good choice if that's the case, and a VIA mobo is a very bad choice...

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink: