mgame

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Here's my prob. I have a ASUS A7V333 Mobo Rev 2.0 Bios version 1017. Current working cpu is a AMD Athalon 1700. Wanted to upgrade to a XP 2500. Originally thought new CPU was DOA so got RMA and replaced. Got replacement still won't work. Message received. "System fail cpu test in voice".

Anyone on this board or any other have the same mobo and have any luck getting the bloody thing to work. If so would you please tell me the correct settings for any jumpers I would have to set?!

Thought settings should be VID3,4 Set to pins 1 and 2.
Sysclock set to 166. Power regulator unlimited. Jumper free mode off.

Thanks, Matt Neufeld

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I have an A7V333... It's a nasty VIA P.O.S...

I wish I could give you better news, but unfortunately for you, the KT333 VIA chipset (which this board is based on) does <i>not</i> actually support a bus speed of 166Mhz. It supports 166Mhz DDR RAM, running asynchronously with a 133MhzDDR FSB.. The fastest chip your board could support would be one of the very rare 133FSB XP2600+ (t-bred 'B') chips, and the fastest which is more readily available would be a XP2400+ (133FSB)...

do you know what core your XP1700+ is? if it's a T-bred 'B' core then you could upgrade to an nforce2 mobo and overclock that chip to beyond the performance of the stock 2500+ anyway.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

mgame

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
You sure as hell know more then I do. I try and keep up to date with reading magazines and online info. I understand then what the prob is. Buying a new mobo is my last option other then just sending back the cpu. Yes I know all the core voltage settings for most of the XP chips. Mine is 1.75. Just doesn't make a ton of sense to me since ASUS homepage lists that I can use the 2500 and so does AMD. Other replies I've gotten say they put in the cpu and no probs just reset the bios info to 166 on the fsb and were running. Thanks a mill for the reply.

Matt Neufeld

mgame

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I also wanted to upgrade to a XP 2xxx becuase of the smaller die means less heat out put from the cpu and also less voltage needed. I wanted to get a cpu that ran atleast somewhat cooler then this crappy 1700 chip. Without having to buy a water cooling system! This stupid chip constanly runs at a 120F I'm only 20 degree's away from shutdown and even closer when I run a 3D intesive game.