Unable to use drag and drop on desktop

August 30, 2005 9:43:02 PM

A while back I was trying to fix something with XP. At some point I remember
turning off drag and drop on the desktop. That did not fix the problem I was
having but I cannot remember how to turn it back on.

Can anyone tell where to enable drag and drop?
--
Ron Lingl
Grabl Software

Hi,

Start menu and taskbar properties/Start menu tab/customize/advanced tab.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ron Lingl" <RonLingl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A while back I was trying to fix something with XP. At some point I
>remember
> turning off drag and drop on the desktop. That did not fix the problem I
> was
> having but I cannot remember how to turn it back on.
>
> Can anyone tell where to enable drag and drop?
> --
> Ron Lingl
> Grabl Software
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 2:52:03 PM

Rick,

Thanks for the response. I checked, and the checkbox to enable drag and
drop is already checked. Don't know if this is related but I can't drag
anything to the trash either. Any more thoughts on the matter?
--
Ron Lingl
Grabl Software

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Start menu and taskbar properties/Start menu tab/customize/advanced tab.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Ron Lingl" <RonLingl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >A while back I was trying to fix something with XP. At some point I
> >remember
> > turning off drag and drop on the desktop. That did not fix the problem I
> > was
> > having but I cannot remember how to turn it back on.
> >
> > Can anyone tell where to enable drag and drop?
> > --
> > Ron Lingl
> > Grabl Software

August 31, 2005 11:44:38 PM

Hi,

Copy/paste the below into notepad,. Save as a .reg file, then merge with the
registry:

***Start below this line***
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"Start_EnableDragDrop"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoChangeStartMenu"=dword:00000000

***finish above this one***

--

> Rick,
>
> Thanks for the response. I checked, and the checkbox to enable drag and
> drop is already checked. Don't know if this is related but I can't drag
> anything to the trash either. Any more thoughts on the matter?
> --
> Ron Lingl
> Grabl Software
>

> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Start menu and taskbar properties/Start menu tab/customize/advanced tab.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Ron Lingl" <RonLingl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >A while back I was trying to fix something with XP. At some point I
>> >remember
>> > turning off drag and drop on the desktop. That did not fix the problem
>> > was
>> > having but I cannot remember how to turn it back on.
>> >
>> > Can anyone tell where to enable drag and drop?
>> > --
>> > Ron Lingl
>> > Grabl Software

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 1:20:41 PM

See if you have the taskbar locked.

news:o a1k0XorFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Copy/paste the below into notepad,. Save as a .reg file, then merge with
> the registry:
>
> ***Start below this line***
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
> "Start_EnableDragDrop"=dword:00000001
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
> "NoChangeStartMenu"=dword:00000000
>
> ***finish above this one***
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Ron Lingl" <RonLingl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Rick,
>>
>> Thanks for the response. I checked, and the checkbox to enable drag and
>> drop is already checked. Don't know if this is related but I can't drag
>> anything to the trash either. Any more thoughts on the matter?
>> --
>> Ron Lingl
>> Grabl Software
>>

>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Start menu and taskbar properties/Start menu tab/customize/advanced tab.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
>>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>>
>>> "Ron Lingl" <RonLingl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 4:16:18 PM

Thanks for your responses.

Ivee, the task bar is not locked.

Rick,
I copied and pasted into a .reg file and imported it into the registry.
Said import was successful. However, I am still not able to drag and drop on
the desktop. Hope I don't have to reinstall the OS to get this to work.
--
Ron Lingl
Grabl Software

"lvee" wrote:

> See if you have the taskbar locked.

> news:o a1k0XorFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Copy/paste the below into notepad,. Save as a .reg file, then merge with
> > the registry:
> >
> > ***Start below this line***
> > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
> >
> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
> > "Start_EnableDragDrop"=dword:00000001
> >
> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
> > "NoChangeStartMenu"=dword:00000000
> >
> > ***finish above this one***
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >
> > "Ron Lingl" <RonLingl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Rick,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the response. I checked, and the checkbox to enable drag and
> >> drop is already checked. Don't know if this is related but I can't drag
> >> anything to the trash either. Any more thoughts on the matter?
> >> --
> >> Ron Lingl
> >> Grabl Software

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 1:54:20 AM

Hi Ron,

I know it sounds stupid, but have you tried disabling it in the Taskbar
properties, then rebooting and reenabling it?

--

news:D A87C14D-76CA-452D-ADD5-04EDF81F5BF4@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for your responses.
>
> Ivee, the task bar is not locked.
>
> Rick,
> I copied and pasted into a .reg file and imported it into the registry.
> Said import was successful. However, I am still not able to drag and drop
> on
> the desktop. Hope I don't have to reinstall the OS to get this to work.
> --
> Ron Lingl
> Grabl Software
>

> "lvee" wrote:
>
>> See if you have the taskbar locked.
>>
>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> news:o a1k0XorFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Copy/paste the below into notepad,. Save as a .reg file, then merge
>> > with
>> > the registry:
>> >
>> > ***Start below this line***
>> > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>> >
>> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
>> > "Start_EnableDragDrop"=dword:00000001
>> >
>> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
>> > "NoChangeStartMenu"=dword:00000000
>> >
>> > ***finish above this one***
>> >
>> > --
>> > Best of Luck,
>> >
>> > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
>> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>> >
>> > "Ron Lingl" <RonLingl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 9:39:03 PM

Rick,

Just trying it and it had no effect. Still can't drag and drop.
--
Ron Lingl
Grabl Software

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Ron,
>
> I know it sounds stupid, but have you tried disabling it in the Taskbar
> properties, then rebooting and reenabling it?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Ron Lingl" <RonLingl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D A87C14D-76CA-452D-ADD5-04EDF81F5BF4@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks for your responses.
> >
> > Ivee, the task bar is not locked.
> >
> > Rick,
> > I copied and pasted into a .reg file and imported it into the registry.
> > Said import was successful. However, I am still not able to drag and drop
> > on
> > the desktop. Hope I don't have to reinstall the OS to get this to work.
> > --
> > Ron Lingl
> > Grabl Software
> >

> > "lvee" wrote:
> >
> >> See if you have the taskbar locked.
> >>
> >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> news:o a1k0XorFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 12:47:39 PM

Ron,

See if these commands help, from Start/Run:

Tip from David Candy:

regsvr32 ole32
regsvr32 /i shell32

Reboot.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Rick,
>
> Just trying it and it had no effect. Still can't drag and drop.
> --
> Ron Lingl
> Grabl Software
>

> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Ron,
>>
>> I know it sounds stupid, but have you tried disabling it in the Taskbar
>> properties, then rebooting and reenabling it?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Ron Lingl" <RonLingl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D A87C14D-76CA-452D-ADD5-04EDF81F5BF4@microsoft.com...
>> > Thanks for your responses.
>> >
>> > Ivee, the task bar is not locked.
>> >
>> > Rick,
>> > I copied and pasted into a .reg file and imported it into the registry.
>> > Said import was successful. However, I am still not able to drag and
>> > drop
>> > on
>> > the desktop. Hope I don't have to reinstall the OS to get this to
>> > work.
>> > --
>> > Ron Lingl
>> > Grabl Software

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 4:18:02 AM

Ramesh,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I tried what you said and received the DllRegisterService in ols32 succeeded
message and another one for shell32. I restarted, unfortunately I still can
not drag and drop anything on the desktop. Actually, I cannot drag and drop
any files any where on the computer.
--
Ron Lingl
Grabl Software

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Ron,
>
> See if these commands help, from Start/Run:
>
> Tip from David Candy:
>
> regsvr32 ole32
> regsvr32 /i shell32
>
> Reboot.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Ron Lingl" <RonLingl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Rick,
> >
> > Just trying it and it had no effect. Still can't drag and drop.
> > --
> > Ron Lingl
> > Grabl Software
> >

> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Ron,
> >>
> >> I know it sounds stupid, but have you tried disabling it in the Taskbar
> >> properties, then rebooting and reenabling it?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Ron Lingl" <RonLingl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:D A87C14D-76CA-452D-ADD5-04EDF81F5BF4@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 5:07:09 PM

Ron,

It's actually Ole32.dll (not ols32 ). Try it again and see if that helps.
Apart from that, is the problem seen in your user profile only?

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Ramesh,
>
> Thank you for your suggestion.
>
> I tried what you said and received the DllRegisterService in ols32
> succeeded
> message and another one for shell32. I restarted, unfortunately I still
> can
> not drag and drop anything on the desktop. Actually, I cannot drag and
> drop
> any files any where on the computer.
> --
> Ron Lingl
> Grabl Software
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Ron,
>>
>> See if these commands help, from Start/Run:
>>
>> Tip from David Candy:
>>
>> regsvr32 ole32
>> regsvr32 /i shell32
>>
>> Reboot.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Ron Lingl" <RonLingl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Rick,
>> >
>> > Just trying it and it had no effect. Still can't drag and drop.
>> > --
>> > Ron Lingl
>> > Grabl Software

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 9:15:31 PM

Ramesh,

Sorry, typo in email. Command typed correctly.

I created a new account and tried that. Drag and drop works perfectly. Now
just need to figure out which setting is the problem. Thank you for
suggestion.

Regards,
--
Ron Lingl