Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

scan disk

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 31, 2005 8:26:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I need to run scan disk but it isn't in my system any more or was it
ever? I use XP HOmed Editon with Serv. pack 2?

Can I find it somewhere?

bill

More about : scan disk

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:15:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In news:o z8l6WgrFHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
bill <nospamhere@drmscp.com> typed:

> I need to run scan disk but it isn't in my system any more or
> was it
> ever? I use XP HOmed Editon with Serv. pack 2?
>
> Can I find it somewhere?


No, you can't, because it never was there. The XP equivalent is
called chkdsk.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:40:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi

Double click on My Computer, right click on the appropriate drive then
select Properties>Tools>Error-checking.

--


Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"bill" <nospamhere@drmscp.com> wrote in message
news:o z8l6WgrFHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I need to run scan disk but it isn't in my system any more or was it ever?
>I use XP HOmed Editon with Serv. pack 2?
>
> Can I find it somewhere?
>
> bill
Related resources
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 11:08:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

bill wrote:
> I need to run scan disk but it isn't in my system any more or was it
> ever? I use XP HOmed Editon with Serv. pack 2?
>
> Can I find it somewhere?
>
> bill


WinXP does not have a program called "Scandisk," as this was a
Win9x/Me program. Instead, because WinXP is descended from the WinNT/2K
OS family, it has a command line utility called "Chkdsk," which performs
much better.

Start > Run > Cmd > Chkdsk.exe /? for the correct syntax and
available options.

Alternatively, double-click My Computer > right-click the desired
hard drive > Properties > Tools > Error-checking/Check Now. This will
run Chkdsk, normally on the next reboot.

Unless you are actually experiencing a specific problem related to
your hard drive's file system, there's no real need to run Chkdsk.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
September 1, 2005 1:17:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Tks all for great help, it worked fine.


bill
September 2, 2005 2:50:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Does chkdsk check the physical drive for surface errors as scandisk did? If
not, how do you do that?

Thanks,
Debbie

> WinXP does not have a program called "Scandisk," as this was a
> Win9x/Me program. Instead, because WinXP is descended from the WinNT/2K
> OS family, it has a command line utility called "Chkdsk," which performs
> much better.
>
> Start > Run > Cmd > Chkdsk.exe /? for the correct syntax and
> available options.
>
> Alternatively, double-click My Computer > right-click the desired
> hard drive > Properties > Tools > Error-checking/Check Now. This will
> run Chkdsk, normally on the next reboot.
>
> Unless you are actually experiencing a specific problem related to
> your hard drive's file system, there's no real need to run Chkdsk.
>
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> both at once. - RAH
>
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 5:58:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Debbie wrote:
> Does chkdsk check the physical drive for surface errors as scandisk did?


Yes, it does identify and mark bad sectors.



--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
!