scan disk

I need to run scan disk but it isn't in my system any more or was it
ever? I use XP HOmed Editon with Serv. pack 2?

Can I find it somewhere?

bill
6 answers Last reply
More about scan disk

    In news:Oz8l6WgrFHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    bill <nospamhere@drmscp.com> typed:

    > I need to run scan disk but it isn't in my system any more or
    > was it
    > ever? I use XP HOmed Editon with Serv. pack 2?
    >
    > Can I find it somewhere?

    No, you can't, because it never was there. The XP equivalent is
    called chkdsk.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Hi

    Double click on My Computer, right click on the appropriate drive then
    select Properties>Tools>Error-checking.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS MVP Windows Shell/User

    bill wrote:
    > I need to run scan disk but it isn't in my system any more or was it
    > ever? I use XP HOmed Editon with Serv. pack 2?
    >
    > Can I find it somewhere?
    >
    > bill

    WinXP does not have a program called "Scandisk," as this was a
    Win9x/Me program. Instead, because WinXP is descended from the WinNT/2K
    OS family, it has a command line utility called "Chkdsk," which performs
    much better.

    Start > Run > Cmd > Chkdsk.exe /? for the correct syntax and
    available options.

    Alternatively, double-click My Computer > right-click the desired
    hard drive > Properties > Tools > Error-checking/Check Now. This will
    run Chkdsk, normally on the next reboot.

    Unless you are actually experiencing a specific problem related to
    your hard drive's file system, there's no real need to run Chkdsk.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Tks all for great help, it worked fine.

    bill

    Does chkdsk check the physical drive for surface errors as scandisk did? If
    not, how do you do that?

    Thanks,
    Debbie

    Debbie wrote:
    > Does chkdsk check the physical drive for surface errors as scandisk did?

    Yes, it does identify and mark bad sectors.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm