screen settings can't be changed

I try to change my screen settings and it's stuck on the biggest setting. 640
by 480 which is too big. I've always set my settings to the smallest not
biggest. Now I just tried to install a scanner and I can't find the drivers
but that's besides the point I think. Or would have anything to do with it? I
even try to go to system restore and the computer won't comply. In fact I
think it's now off line. But when I went to a program that wasn't an online
program I got a message like this: "Your display driver failed to set the
required graphics mode for Perfect Chessmate. Try changing it to 800 by 600
and your color palatte to 256 colors. I wish I could. Something has gone
haywire. I did hard boot it . I don't remember why I think a program wasn't
responding. If someone could help it I would be very grateful.
Thanks Daniel
--
attilathehun1

"attilathehun1" <attilathehun1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:88EF2964-F40D-401B-96C5-6CA15DA0A63F@microsoft.com
> I try to change my screen settings and it's stuck on the biggest
> setting. 640 by 480 which is too big. I've always set my settings to
> the smallest not biggest. Now I just tried to install a scanner and I
> can't find the drivers but that's besides the point I think. Or would
> have anything to do with it? I even try to go to system restore and
> the computer won't comply. In fact I think it's now off line. But
> when I went to a program that wasn't an online program I got a
> message like this: "Your display driver failed to set the required
> graphics mode for Perfect Chessmate. Try changing it to 800 by 600
> and your color palatte to 256 colors. I wish I could. Something has
> gone haywire. I did hard boot it . I don't remember why I think a
> program wasn't responding. If someone could help it I would be
> very grateful. Thanks Daniel

Reinstall your video drivers.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE