Gaming on a Big Screen TV.

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Sometime after the first of the year I plan on purchasing a 37-42 inch HDTV to replace my old set and thought that I'd love to hook my PC up to it so I could sit back and play some games from the couch being as I have a wireless keyboard and such. However I have no idea what avenue to presue when it comes to bigscreen qualities. I figure yes I need something with a good screen response time and color range but after that I'm clueless as to what format is best like LCD, Plasma, ect.

I mainly play games like Dragon Age, Mass Effect (can't wait for ME2!), and old school games like the Mech Warrior genre, Flight Sims and a few offline FPS so my needs would be based around those. Currently I'm still using a 8800GT card :??: so I know my higher resolution top out would be crippled somewhat but it can handle anything I throw at it currently in 1680x1050 on a 24 inch monitor. Just want a bigger screen really so if anyone can recommend me any product lines to look into I'd really appreciate it.

staalkoppie

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
The 2 most important things to check is of course the response rate....I think anything above a 100 mHz is fine
second would be the max resolution the of the screen...my cousins 74cm LCD runs at like 1024x780 (or something like that)

vrgboxy

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
I run mine on a Toshiba Regza 42" HDMI @ 1920x1080 straight from my GTX 260.
I also have Coaxial Out from my PC to my surround sound system.

Really nice to see and hear.

All you need is:

DVI to HDMI Cable for the Video:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DVI-to-HDMI-Cable-10m-Lead-HDTV_W0QQitemZ250350771600QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item3a4a119d90

Audio can be run from the PC speakers.
But if you have a surround sound system you will need:
Digital Coaxial or TOSLINK whichever your system requires.