Help with my new PC (gaming)

serialteg

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
:bounce:

I just bought a new PC with an Athlon X3 425, 2GB Crucial, onboard video being ATI Radeon 4200 and running it all on Windows Vista. The motherboard's an Asrock M3A785GSXH. ATI claims this onboard video can run modern games but we all know... :lol:

So, I downloaded MW2 and Dirt 2 and both games don't work. MW2 gives me the popular error (so I've found) "DirectX has encountered an error and needs to close; read the readme" (what readme?). Dirt 2 just refuses to even start and give an error message.

I already had an audio issue when I used XP as my first OS of choice - it got resolved only when I installed Windows 7. I'm guessing for the game fails, the onboard video's to blame. Any suggestions?

Solution
How much video memory is allocated to the Radeon 4200?

Your hardware is good enough for any game to actually launch, it may not be playable but you shouldn't get any errors.

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Tbh you may need to up your ram to start off with and then find out what it the highest spec card that your mobo will take,to be playing those games you would probably need to upgrade processor as well.

serialteg

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009

Let's see, how do I find that out in Windows 7? I'll get around to it tonight.