Your question
Closed

Benefits of cloud computing

Tags:
  • Cloud Computing
  • Business Computing
Last response: in Business Computing
January 26, 2013 7:00:30 PM

i know just a bit about cloud computing, can any help me understand how it can benefit me and how i can use it with my pc.

because i hear alot about it but dont quite understand it thanks.

More about : benefits cloud computing

Best solution

January 26, 2013 7:21:52 PM

There are a few uses for it, but for the average home user, it's nothing really we need.

Basically, it's using small slices of big powerful computers to do certain things for you on their pc's instead of yours, or storing entire programs, data, etc to be access from anywhere.

Example, you are a physicist, and need to compute some big math numbers. Your workstation PC can't handle it, you sign up for a cloud computing service and something that might take your PC 3 weeks to compute, sending it to the cloud, you can have your answer in an hour because of the mass parallelization of the cloud computing ability. Some charge by time, or computation cycles, amount of data send and received, etc.

Example, you run a small business with workers that use their own equipment and are on the road or job site a lot. They need to access certain spreadsheets or documents or even software when they are away, access from home, etc. Cloud computing can be setup to let users access from any web browser documents, or even software running in the cloud, so they have access anywhere and can all run the same version of a software. You can do this with your own server in your business, but that might require lots of bandwidth which can be pricey, maintenance of the server, security on the server, etc. With cloud computing, they handle all that, and with massive space and computational power, they can provide as much as you need on demand, where your server might start to struggle if everyone connects at once. With cloud power, your share can dynamically use more power and the end user will never get any lag, connection problems, etc. Users can connect with windows, linux, macs, ios, android, whatever they are running because it runs in a web browser. Microsoft offers this with Office365, access your whole office suite and documents via any web browser. Need to update a spreadsheet from an internet cafe, 2 minutes, done.

The most common use for home users is just cloud storage, like google drive, or mircosoft sky drive. You can copy your files to the cloud and access them from everywhere.
January 26, 2013 7:22:58 PM

could cloud computing have any advantages for gaming, or cpu intensive tasks?

like u would directly benefit from the cloud computing in the above fields.

?
Score
Related resources
January 26, 2013 7:26:26 PM

iceclock said:

?

cpu intensive tasks, yes, if you can get the software running in the cloud or need massive computations, but the average home user doesn't.

Gaming, there have been a few attempts at it, I can't remember the names of them. Basically they have huge server farms that do all the graphics and computation of the game in their servers and then only have to monitor keyboard commands and send you a "video" stream back, thus allowing gaming of high power games on older PC's that handle a hi-def video stream.
Score
January 26, 2013 7:27:42 PM

so i guess for now cloud for me would be best for online storage? is there a website u recommand for this.

Score
January 26, 2013 7:37:04 PM

iceclock said:

?

no, almost never

speeds will be limited by your internet speed which is 100's of times slower than a processor operates
Score
January 26, 2013 7:38:18 PM

google drive or microsoft skydrive give you like 2-10gig free storage. Some music services are using it so you can access your music from your phone, tablet, pc, friends pc, etc.

http://www.onlive.com/ is the gaming one.
Score
January 26, 2013 7:41:02 PM

im talking 10-20gigs of space, anything thats not too costly?

Score
January 26, 2013 7:45:18 PM

Best answer selected by iceclock.
Score
April 3, 2013 4:08:39 PM

Achieve economies of scale – increase volume output or productivity with fewer people. Your cost per unit, project or product plummets.
Reduce capital costs. There’s no need to spend big money on hardware, software or licensing fees.
Improve accessibility. You have access anytime, anywhere, making your life so much easier!
Improve flexibility. You can change direction without serious “people” or “financial” issues at stake.
Score
April 3, 2013 5:10:46 PM

Necro-post
Score
April 8, 2013 1:33:05 PM

Cloud computing give you the flexibility of connecting to your business anytime and anywhere. We don't have to need spend big money on hardware, software or other charges.
Score
!