Sign in with
Your question

First pc build? windows 8 or windows 7

Last response: in Windows 8
October 22, 2012 2:52:32 AM

im building a gaming pc in the next 3-4 weeks, and windows 8 is only ten dollars more then windows 7, the last pc ive used personally had windows xp, other then then that ive only had macs. should i get windows 7 or 8? will windows 7 even be available after windows 8 is released?

More about : build windows windows

October 22, 2012 2:56:45 AM

and should i spend the extra 50 bucks to get windows 8 pro?
m
l
October 22, 2012 2:56:49 AM

Yes windows 7 will still be available, windows 8 completely changed the ui and if you are unfamiliar with it you will probably want to go with windows 7
m
l
Related resources
October 22, 2012 2:58:38 AM

would it be a pain in *** to upgrade it later with a fresh install?
m
l
October 22, 2012 3:00:29 AM

Well if you have only one drive for all your data then you would basically have to back up everything because when you install an os it wipes out your drive, but if its on a separate drive then it shouldn't be too much of an issue
m
l
October 22, 2012 3:02:46 AM

From my own experience, get window 7. When i changed from xp to 7 I was amazed how better it was and how easier to use it was but when i tried the free version of windows 8, it took me no longer then an hour of usage before i deleted the partition i had it installed on. But it's up to you. Maybe you will like windows 8 better then i did but with a keyboard and mouse I simply did not enjoy it.
m
l
October 23, 2012 6:08:08 AM

Window 7
Window 8 For Touch Only
m
l
October 23, 2012 6:18:02 AM

If only Microsoft did not make Windows 8 a closed platform...
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 23, 2012 3:03:02 PM

boyabunda said:
If only Microsoft did not make Windows 8 a closed platform...

I'm going to hit the emergency shut off switch for the FUD Alarm I had installed so we can all hear you. How is Windows 8 a closed platform? I really need someone to try and explain this and convince me that this is true. Thus far, no one has been able to do it.
m
l
October 23, 2012 3:39:21 PM

I say download Win 8 RC frpm microsoft and see if you like it, if you don't buy win 7, if you do buy win 8, it won't cost you any more then some download limit and the price of a blank disc to burn it, or use a flash drive and save the money on the disc. All of the extras you get in win 8 pro can be replaced with free software, possibly free opensource software, but hey if you get the pro version you'll have the benefit of knowing it will work, and be integrated in one package and therefore it will update with the system, where I have to manually update all my apps myself, that can be a PITA I can tell you, but I love opensource software so I happily accept that burden.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 23, 2012 7:04:24 PM

You can still try Win 8 out so if you don't like it you can then just go with Win 7. But if you enjoy Win 8 you'll most likely get a few more years out of it then Win 7.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 23, 2012 10:18:41 PM

I've been on Windows 8 for a few months now. I don't despise it, it's not as bad as people say by any means, but I'm formatting in about an hour to go back to windows 7. In addition to drivers issues on 8 in some games (probably due to my unsupported sound card), I keep getting tabbed out of my games because I clicked the hot corner. The experience isn't really bad, but it's not much better than windows 7, and sometimes slightly worse (in my opinion). I would not buy it full price, already owning win7.

But, I recommend you try it for yourself and see: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download
m
l
October 24, 2012 12:53:13 AM

I would go with windows 8. I have been using it for a month now and i am using it on a 6 year old laptop and it runs twice as fast as as windows 7 and I really like the new ui and i am quite glad i updgraded.
m
l
October 24, 2012 6:57:00 AM

Unless you have touch screen monitor, stay away from Win 8. It takes a lot more "steps" to get the same thing done in Windows 8 vs Windows 7, assuming that you already familize yourself to win 8 UI which is another huge learning curve by itself.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2012 4:00:22 PM

Personally I would say W7 would be an easier transition for you from XP.
If you are heavily into social media and don't mind relearning how to use the basic functions of a PC from scratch then W8 would most probably be better for you in the long run.
If you just want a basic everyday PC that is easy to use and you will be able to get to grips with straight away then W7 is for you.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2012 4:03:56 PM

The_Prophecy said:
I'm going to hit the emergency shut off switch for the FUD Alarm I had installed so we can all hear you. How is Windows 8 a closed platform? I really need someone to try and explain this and convince me that this is true. Thus far, no one has been able to do it.

As I have said before on a different thread I believe its Microsoft that need to do the explaining. they are so focused on pushing the neat new gimmicks and UI that they forgot to advertise what the actual benefits of the new OS will be to everyday users.

m
l
October 24, 2012 6:06:27 PM

Windows 8 in my opinion should only be used on touch-screen devices like tablets, as the UI is completely revamped to look more "hip" and exciting for younger audiences. I don't think it's very effective though, since most people don't like the look and feel of Windows 8.

JellyBOMB
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 25, 2012 2:39:25 AM

mactronix said:
As I have said before on a different thread I believe its Microsoft that need to do the explaining. they are so focused on pushing the neat new gimmicks and UI that they forgot to advertise what the actual benefits of the new OS will be to everyday users.

I agree there... Microsoft does definitely need to clarify why this upgrade would be useful to the average consumer, and show off some of what Windows 8 can actually do in their ads. I blame their marketing department for that though, and right now, word-of-mouth reputation is going to hurt their sales.

What is really annoying is when people claim things like "Windows 8 is a closed platform" without explaining why they are taking that position. When they don't expand on their position, they aren't adding anything to the conversation. It makes the person look stupid because all they are doing is regurgitating FUD that someone else told them, likely someone who had no actual first-hand knowledge of what they were talking about either.

FUD spreading is what frustrates me more than anything else, any time Microsoft does a big product release like Windows. If a product is legitimately bad, any sane person with no conflicts of interest in the matter will be able to admit it.

And for the record, I do not work for Microsoft.
m
l
October 25, 2012 3:05:08 AM

^ this
m
l
!