Bridging 2 small workgroups - what to buy?

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

Hello -

I have 2 small workgroups (each less than 4 computers, all with wired
ethernet cards already installed) that I would like to "bridge" together
using wireless ethernet. The workgroups are about 50 metres apart. It would
be very helpful if the "bridges" have built-in 4-port switches so that I
don't need an a switch at each end to connect the computers. Also, the
option of external antenna is desirable. Low-cost would also be good.

I haven't found any product yet that meets all these requirements.
The Linksys WET54GS5 looks like it might be suitable, when it becomes
available in the UK, but I suspect the cost of a pair will be quite high.

Can anyone advise on which products available in the UK might be suitable?
Thanks,

Simon

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:56:04 +0100, "Simon" <simon@antispam.aardvarks>
wrote:

>Hello -
>
>I have 2 small workgroups (each less than 4 computers, all with wired
>ethernet cards already installed) that I would like to "bridge" together
>using wireless ethernet. The workgroups are about 50 metres apart. It would
>be very helpful if the "bridges" have built-in 4-port switches so that I
>don't need an a switch at each end to connect the computers. Also, the
>option of external antenna is desirable. Low-cost would also be good.
>
>I haven't found any product yet that meets all these requirements.
>The Linksys WET54GS5 looks like it might be suitable, when it becomes
>available in the UK, but I suspect the cost of a pair will be quite high.
>
>Can anyone advise on which products available in the UK might be suitable?
>Thanks,
>
>Simon

I am in the US but I used 2 Access Points(AP) to bridge my wired and
wireless system. I have the router upstairs in my home and 11
computers in the basement with wired network cards, I WAS NOT buying
that man ywireless cards so I went out and bought 2 AP's and
configured them in the bridge mode. One AP is now upstairs plugged
into the router, the other is downstairs plugged into a hub that all
the computers down ther plug into. The 2 AP's send and receive the
data with no problems. The ONLY issue would be to make sure you get
either the same brand of AP as the router or MAKE SURE in advance that
they will work together, some don't.

wrote:

>Hello -
>
>I have 2 small workgroups (each less than 4 computers, all with wired
>ethernet cards already installed) that I would like to "bridge" together
>using wireless ethernet. The workgroups are about 50 metres apart. It would
>be very helpful if the "bridges" have built-in 4-port switches so that I
>don't need an a switch at each end to connect the computers. Also, the
>option of external antenna is desirable. Low-cost would also be good.
>
>I haven't found any product yet that meets all these requirements.
>The Linksys WET54GS5 looks like it might be suitable, when it becomes
>available in the UK, but I suspect the cost of a pair will be quite high.
>
>Can anyone advise on which products available in the UK might be suitable?
>Thanks,
>
>Simon

Sorry forgot something, most people will tell you that the router
channel and the AP channel MUST be different, mine aren't, they are
the same and they work just fine! I have a D-Link 614+ router and 2
D-Link 900AP+ AP's.

"f/f george" <george@yourplace.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:56:04 +0100, "Simon" <simon@antispam.aardvarks>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello -
> >
> >I have 2 small workgroups (each less than 4 computers, all with wired
> >ethernet cards already installed) that I would like to "bridge" together
> >using wireless ethernet. The workgroups are about 50 metres apart. It
would
> >be very helpful if the "bridges" have built-in 4-port switches so that I
> >don't need an a switch at each end to connect the computers. Also, the
> >option of external antenna is desirable. Low-cost would also be good.
> >
> >I haven't found any product yet that meets all these requirements.
> >The Linksys WET54GS5 looks like it might be suitable, when it becomes
> >available in the UK, but I suspect the cost of a pair will be quite high.
> >
> >Can anyone advise on which products available in the UK might be
suitable?
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Simon
> >
> I am in the US but I used 2 Access Points(AP) to bridge my wired and
> wireless system. I have the router upstairs in my home and 11
> computers in the basement with wired network cards, I WAS NOT buying
> that man ywireless cards so I went out and bought 2 AP's and
> configured them in the bridge mode. One AP is now upstairs plugged
> into the router, the other is downstairs plugged into a hub that all
> the computers down ther plug into. The 2 AP's send and receive the
> data with no problems. The ONLY issue would be to make sure you get
> either the same brand of AP as the router or MAKE SURE in advance that
> they will work together, some don't.

f/f george

Just curious...assuming your router upstairs is wireless, would it have been
possible to just install an AP downstairs (connected to the hub that you had
your 11 PC's hooked up to) that would communicate wirelessly with the
upstairs wireless router? Or did you already try that and wanted an AP
closer in range to your basement AP?

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:50:38 -0400, "bob smith" <bns@NOSPAM.com>
wrote:

>"f/f george" <george@yourplace.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:56:04 +0100, "Simon" <simon@antispam.aardvarks>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hello -
>> >
>> >I have 2 small workgroups (each less than 4 computers, all with wired
>> >ethernet cards already installed) that I would like to "bridge" together
>> >using wireless ethernet. The workgroups are about 50 metres apart. It
>would
>> >be very helpful if the "bridges" have built-in 4-port switches so that I
>> >don't need an a switch at each end to connect the computers. Also, the
>> >option of external antenna is desirable. Low-cost would also be good.
>> >
>> >I haven't found any product yet that meets all these requirements.
>> >The Linksys WET54GS5 looks like it might be suitable, when it becomes
>> >available in the UK, but I suspect the cost of a pair will be quite high.
>> >
>> >Can anyone advise on which products available in the UK might be
>suitable?
>> >Thanks,
>> >
>> >Simon
>> >
>> I am in the US but I used 2 Access Points(AP) to bridge my wired and
>> wireless system. I have the router upstairs in my home and 11
>> computers in the basement with wired network cards, I WAS NOT buying
>> that man ywireless cards so I went out and bought 2 AP's and
>> configured them in the bridge mode. One AP is now upstairs plugged
>> into the router, the other is downstairs plugged into a hub that all
>> the computers down ther plug into. The 2 AP's send and receive the
>> data with no problems. The ONLY issue would be to make sure you get
>> either the same brand of AP as the router or MAKE SURE in advance that
>> they will work together, some don't.
>>

>f/f george
>
>Just curious...assuming your router upstairs is wireless, would it have been
>possible to just install an AP downstairs (connected to the hub that you had
>your 11 PC's hooked up to) that would communicate wirelessly with the
>upstairs wireless router? Or did you already try that and wanted an AP
>closer in range to your basement AP?

It MAY have worked but when I went to the store the setup I have is
what the guy said would work. I knew NOTHING at the time.
The one thing that people kept telling me is that the AP MUST be
hardwired to work that way. I did not want to run any wires to the
basement if I didn't have to.

"Simon" <simon@antispam.aardvarks> wrote in message
> Hello -
>
> Can anyone advise on which products available in the UK might be suitable?
> Thanks,
>
> Simon

Simon? Is it you? *THE* Simon? Are we in the company of the BOFH?

I'm in awe. Goosebumps, really.

William
P.S. Neat trick with the quicklime. Don't forget to remove the teeth next
time.