ms works ?, will lose job!!

I have ms bundled onwindows XP my hp pavilion 1335w. I have saved a lot of
word processing documents for my new (3 mos.) job. Now when I try to re-open
them for revisal, or even just to look at them, I get a msg in a small window
that says "Works task launcher cannot open the file you selected. It may
have been either moved or deleted." If I can't get to some of these, I will
lose my job! And I don't even know where to go for help, this is the first
place i've tried. Can someone either sove the problem, or tell me when I can
go for the answer? Many thanks, Karen
24 answers Last reply
More about works lose

    Karen,

    Try opening MSWorks by itself. Go to Start -> Programs -> Microsoft
    Works. If it opens successfully, try opening one of your files. If MSWorks
    doesn't open correctly, your MSWorks is corrupted and needs to be reinstalled.

    You can also try opening Notepad or Wordpad and see if they'll read your
    doc files. It will show a lot of control characters, but you may be able to
    cut and paste just the text to a different document file.

    HTH

    MD

    Karen wrote:
    > I have ms bundled onwindows XP my hp pavilion 1335w. I have saved a
    > lot of word processing documents for my new (3 mos.) job. Now when I
    > try to re-open them for revisal, or even just to look at them, I get
    > a msg in a small window that says "Works task launcher cannot open
    > the file you selected. It may have been either moved or deleted."
    > If I can't get to some of these, I will lose my job! And I don't
    > even know where to go for help, this is the first place i've tried.
    > Can someone either sove the problem, or tell me when I can go for the
    > answer? Many thanks, Karen

    In other words - you did not make multiple copies of these critical files?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Thank you for responding, MadDog. I tried your suggestion - I can open files
    from a month or so ago, but not much earlier than that. Any ideas? Karen

    "MadDog" wrote:

    > Karen,
    >
    > Try opening MSWorks by itself. Go to Start -> Programs -> Microsoft
    > Works. If it opens successfully, try opening one of your files. If MSWorks
    > doesn't open correctly, your MSWorks is corrupted and needs to be reinstalled.
    >
    > You can also try opening Notepad or Wordpad and see if they'll read your
    > doc files. It will show a lot of control characters, but you may be able to
    > cut and paste just the text to a different document file.
    >
    > HTH
    >

    > MD
    >

    > "Karen" wrote:
    >
    > > I have ms bundled onwindows XP my hp pavilion 1335w. I have saved a lot of
    > > word processing documents for my new (3 mos.) job. Now when I try to re-open
    > > them for revisal, or even just to look at them, I get a msg in a small window
    > > that says "Works task launcher cannot open the file you selected. It may
    > > have been either moved or deleted." If I can't get to some of these, I will
    > > lose my job! And I don't even know where to go for help, this is the first
    > > place i've tried. Can someone either sove the problem, or tell me when I can
    > > go for the answer? Many thanks, Karen

    Obviously, I didn't. Do you have any encouraging suggestions?

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Karen wrote:
    > > I have ms bundled onwindows XP my hp pavilion 1335w. I have saved a
    > > lot of word processing documents for my new (3 mos.) job. Now when I
    > > try to re-open them for revisal, or even just to look at them, I get
    > > a msg in a small window that says "Works task launcher cannot open
    > > the file you selected. It may have been either moved or deleted."
    > > If I can't get to some of these, I will lose my job! And I don't
    > > even know where to go for help, this is the first place i've tried.
    > > Can someone either sove the problem, or tell me when I can go for the
    > > answer? Many thanks, Karen
    >
    > In other words - you did not make multiple copies of these critical files?
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    Once again, you play a game with someone who needs help. Supply an answer,
    not a criticism. What a shameful attitude from a MVP.

    Tom
    | Karen wrote:
    | > I have ms bundled onwindows XP my hp pavilion 1335w. I have saved a
    | > lot of word processing documents for my new (3 mos.) job. Now when I
    | > try to re-open them for revisal, or even just to look at them, I get
    | > a msg in a small window that says "Works task launcher cannot open
    | > the file you selected. It may have been either moved or deleted."
    | > If I can't get to some of these, I will lose my job! And I don't
    | > even know where to go for help, this is the first place i've tried.
    | > Can someone either sove the problem, or tell me when I can go for the
    | > answer? Many thanks, Karen
    |
    | In other words - you did not make multiple copies of these critical files?
    |
    | --
    | Shenan Stanley
    | MS-MVP
    | --
    | How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    | http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    Shenan doesn't supply encouraging suggestions. Just criticism or cut and
    paste responses. Someone who cares will answer. Please be patient.

    Tom

    Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
    > Shenan doesn't supply encouraging suggestions. Just criticism or cut
    > and paste responses. Someone who cares will answer. Please be
    > patient.

    Incorrect Tom Pepper Willett.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
    > Once again, you play a game with someone who needs help. Supply an
    > answer, not a criticism. What a shameful attitude from a MVP.

    There was no criticism there - simple question.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
    > Shenan doesn't supply encouraging suggestions. Just criticism or cut
    > and paste responses. Someone who cares will answer. Please be
    > patient.

    Contrary to Tom Pepper Willett, my answer does point out something that you
    may think about in the future.. If you are doing something vitally
    important - you never rely on one copy in one location. Backups are key to
    peace of mind and insurability that you will complete your task(s) with
    everything intact.

    Assuming you are opening the files AFTER opening MS Works (from within MS
    Works itself) - the message seems to indicate that the file you are looking
    for may have been moved. Do you know the location it was saving them? Was
    it in "My Documents"? Have you looked in your "My Documents to make sure
    the files exist there? Have you tried to copy the files elsewhere and
    double-click on them to open? Have you looked in your recycle bin to be
    sure you have not erased them?

    Basically we need to be sure the files still exists where you think they
    should be (on the hard drive itself - not from within Works) before we get
    too worried about them being unreadable.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    You did not supply an answer. Just criticism to the OP.

    Tom

    | Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
    | > Shenan doesn't supply encouraging suggestions. Just criticism or cut
    | > and paste responses. Someone who cares will answer. Please be
    | > patient.
    |
    | Incorrect Tom Pepper Willett.
    |
    | --
    | Shenan Stanley
    | MS-MVP
    | --
    | How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    | http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    Nope.

    Tom

    | Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
    | > Once again, you play a game with someone who needs help. Supply an
    | > answer, not a criticism. What a shameful attitude from a MVP.
    |
    | There was no criticism there - simple question.
    |
    | --
    | Shenan Stanley
    | MS-MVP
    | --
    | How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    | http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    *now* you have attempted to provide an answer to the OP instead of
    criticism.

    tom

    Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
    > *now* you have attempted to provide an answer to the OP instead of
    > criticism.

    Did before - contrary to what you believe (future help if nothing else.)
    And provided more detailed help AFTER confirming they had not - in fact -
    backed it up to anything else..

    For all I knew they were trying to read it from the CD Backup they had
    burned it to previously - or perhaps they had emailed it to someone and
    forgotten they had, copied it to external media and forgotten they had -
    etc. A little reminder when you are freaking out is sometimes all it takes
    to snap back to "Oh yeah! I also had it here" or "Well, I did attempt to
    copy it somewhere else right before this problem happened.." and then we
    come to realize they had (in fact) used Windows Explorer to move (they meant
    to copy) the files from their my documents to another location so they would
    have backups.. But then they opened Works and in the file history (which
    would still list the old locations) the files would not open.. Because they
    had accidentally moved instead of copied.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Tom

    Why didn't you supply an encouraging answer?.. why didn't you look to see
    what file extension MS Works files have, and then suggest to the OP that
    they might like to search for extensions of the Works type?

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid> wrote in message
    > Shenan doesn't supply encouraging suggestions. Just criticism or cut and
    > paste responses. Someone who cares will answer. Please be patient.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | Obviously, I didn't. Do you have any encouraging suggestions?

    > the
    > | >
    > | > In other words - you did not make multiple copies of these critical
    > files?
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Shenan Stanley
    > | > MS-MVP
    > | > --
    > | > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    > | > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    It is a shame someone cannot ask a simple question and expect an answer
    pertaining to the question without you all trying to put each other down.
    --
    Thanks, Kat

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
    > > Once again, you play a game with someone who needs help. Supply an
    > > answer, not a criticism. What a shameful attitude from a MVP.
    >
    > Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > > There was no criticism there - simple question.
    >
    > Opinions are much like the word you are acting like..
    > Everyone has one.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Karen Wrote:
    > I have ms bundled onwindows XP my hp pavilion 1335w. I have saved a lot
    > of
    > word processing documents for my new (3 mos.) job. Now when I try to
    > re-open
    > them for revisal, or even just to look at them, I get a msg in a small
    > window
    > that says "Works task launcher cannot open the file you selected. It
    > may
    > have been either moved or deleted." If I can't get to some of these, I
    > will
    > lose my job! And I don't even know where to go for help, this is the
    > first
    > place i've tried. Can someone either sove the problem, or tell me when
    > I can
    > go for the answer? Many thanks, Karen

    The Works Task Launcher cannot access the task you selected:

    Anyways, before doing any of those, try copying the file (those that
    couldn't be opened) to another location and try opening it again. Good
    luck.

    --
    Evolution54
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Send me a file that you CAN'T open to david at mvps.org

    "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98C469A2-E41C-4FA8-9DFA-4D6966C5111E@microsoft.com...
    > Thank you for responding, MadDog. I tried your suggestion - I can open files
    > from a month or so ago, but not much earlier than that. Any ideas? Karen
    >
    > "MadDog" wrote:
    >
    >> Karen,
    >>
    >> Try opening MSWorks by itself. Go to Start -> Programs -> Microsoft
    >> Works. If it opens successfully, try opening one of your files. If MSWorks
    >> doesn't open correctly, your MSWorks is corrupted and needs to be reinstalled.
    >>
    >> You can also try opening Notepad or Wordpad and see if they'll read your
    >> doc files. It will show a lot of control characters, but you may be able to
    >> cut and paste just the text to a different document file.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>

    >> MD
    >>

    >> "Karen" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have ms bundled onwindows XP my hp pavilion 1335w. I have saved a lot of
    >> > word processing documents for my new (3 mos.) job. Now when I try to re-open
    >> > them for revisal, or even just to look at them, I get a msg in a small window
    >> > that says "Works task launcher cannot open the file you selected. It may
    >> > have been either moved or deleted." If I can't get to some of these, I will
    >> > lose my job! And I don't even know where to go for help, this is the first
    >> > place i've tried. Can someone either sove the problem, or tell me when I can
    >> > go for the answer? Many thanks, Karen
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Another "stupid" question - how do I send you a file that I can't open? I
    thought I was in a "newuser" group, and "dumb" questions were okay. Am I in
    a different group than I thought? I'll send the file once I figure out how.
    Thanks again, Karen

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Send me a file that you CAN'T open to david at mvps.org

    > "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98C469A2-E41C-4FA8-9DFA-4D6966C5111E@microsoft.com...
    > > Thank you for responding, MadDog. I tried your suggestion - I can open files
    > > from a month or so ago, but not much earlier than that. Any ideas? Karen
    > >
    > > "MadDog" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Karen,
    > >>
    > >> Try opening MSWorks by itself. Go to Start -> Programs -> Microsoft
    > >> Works. If it opens successfully, try opening one of your files. If MSWorks
    > >> doesn't open correctly, your MSWorks is corrupted and needs to be reinstalled.
    > >>
    > >> You can also try opening Notepad or Wordpad and see if they'll read your
    > >> doc files. It will show a lot of control characters, but you may be able to
    > >> cut and paste just the text to a different document file.
    > >>
    > >> HTH
    > >>

    > >> MD

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    This might be of some help,

    How to Recover Information from a Damaged Document
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/212274/

    >I have ms bundled onwindows XP my hp pavilion 1335w. I have saved a lot of
    > word processing documents for my new (3 mos.) job. Now when I try to
    > re-open
    > them for revisal, or even just to look at them, I get a msg in a small
    > window
    > that says "Works task launcher cannot open the file you selected. It may
    > have been either moved or deleted." If I can't get to some of these, I
    > will
    > lose my job! And I don't even know where to go for help, this is the
    > first
    > place i've tried. Can someone either sove the problem, or tell me when I
    > can
    > go for the answer? Many thanks, Karen
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    ooops, I meant to include this as well, it shows what to look for when files
    have changed, etc.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316950#XSLTH3139121123120121120120

    "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have ms bundled onwindows XP my hp pavilion 1335w. I have saved a lot of
    > word processing documents for my new (3 mos.) job. Now when I try to
    > re-open
    > them for revisal, or even just to look at them, I get a msg in a small
    > window
    > that says "Works task launcher cannot open the file you selected. It may
    > have been either moved or deleted." If I can't get to some of these, I
    > will
    > lose my job! And I don't even know where to go for help, this is the
    > first
    > place i've tried. Can someone either sove the problem, or tell me when I
    > can
    > go for the answer? Many thanks, Karen
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Karen wrote
    > Another "stupid" question - how do I send you a file that I can't open? I
    > thought I was in a "newuser" group, and "dumb" questions were okay. Am I
    > in
    > a different group than I thought? I'll send the file once I figure out
    > how.
    > Thanks again, Karen

    If you can locate the file in whatever exact location you saved it (without
    using MS Works at all in the equation) then you can ATTACH it to an email
    that you send out. Your ability to open or view its contents in any fashion
    is irrelevant. As long as you can copy it, you can attach it to an email as
    well.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    >> Send me a file that you CAN'T open to david at mvps.org
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >> "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thank you for responding, MadDog. I tried your suggestion - I can open
    >> > files
    >> > from a month or so ago, but not much earlier than that. Any ideas?
    >> > Karen

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Just say it. I hate bleeping. ARSEHOLE. If you can't say it don't refer to it.

    "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e$TJ31BsFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
    >> Once again, you play a game with someone who needs help. Supply an
    >> answer, not a criticism. What a shameful attitude from a MVP.
    >
    > Shenan Stanley wrote:
    >> There was no criticism there - simple question.
    >
    > Opinions are much like the word you are acting like..
    > Everyone has one.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 08:00:01 -0700, Karen wrote:

    > Another "stupid" question - how do I send you a file that I can't open? I
    > thought I was in a "newuser" group, and "dumb" questions were okay. Am I in
    > a different group than I thought? I'll send the file once I figure out how.
    > Thanks again, Karen

    Karen, you don't need to open the file to send it. Check your email
    program's help file for directions on attaching a file. In most cases
    "attach file" will open a window similar to that seen when using File> Open
    or File> Save. Select the file to be attached and when you send your mail,
    a copy of the file will be sent with it (original file stays on your hard
    drive).

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:43:03 -0700, "Karen"
    <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have ms bundled onwindows XP my hp pavilion 1335w. I have saved a lot of
    >word processing documents for my new (3 mos.) job. Now when I try to re-open
    >them for revisal, or even just to look at them, I get a msg in a small window
    >that says "Works task launcher cannot open the file you selected. It may
    >have been either moved or deleted." If I can't get to some of these, I will
    >lose my job! And I don't even know where to go for help, this is the first
    >place i've tried. Can someone either sove the problem, or tell me when I can
    >go for the answer? Many thanks, Karen
    Karen,

    Have tried to open the works doc file with another application Wordpad
    for example?
    Locate the file using windows explorer.
    Right click on the file and select "open with".
    Scroll down the list of programs and click on Wordpad.
    If it opens, you may see a lot unrecognisable characters etc
    (formatting), but you may also see the body of the document, which you
    will be able to copy and paste into a new document.
    You say you can open documents a few weeks old but not earlier. Has
    anything been installed during this time that could account for your
    inability to open earlier files? If you think that this may the case you
    may be able to do a system restore to an earlier time.
    Best of luck
    Mike H

Microsoft HP Pavilion Windows XP