Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PS3 5.1 Gaming Headset - Lots of questions.

Last response: in Video Games
December 23, 2009 5:01:36 PM

TV: LG 60PS11
Receiver: Pioneer VSX919-AH-K
Playstation3: Well, duh...

I have all of my components switched through my receiver. Nothing tricky here, just HDMI cables. What I'm trying to do here is get 5.1 audio to my headset so I can hear directional footsteps and things like that. This will disqualify the Turtle Beach P21 headset that a few others have recommended - they are only stereo. As a matter of fact, I'd rather not use a headset that is "designed for the PS3" but I'd rather use another known, proven, reliable, traditional gaming headset.

The only reason I say "headset" over "headphones" is they should carry both the in game sounds as well as the chat sound and it has a mic built in that i could possibly plug in to my receiver? If not, I know stand alone USB mic's work just fine directly in to the PS3 to transmit audio.

There are a few setups that already work but I'd trying to not get a "PS3 5.1 Headset". Another option is a USB Soundcard that will plug directly in to my PS3 and then I can plug my headphones and mic in to that - again, not 5.1.

All "PS3 5.1 Headset's" that work properly also include a TOSLink cable from the PS3 to that specific devices "audio mixer". Why should this be involved if the PS3 transmits audio and video via HDMI?

I have two ideas that may work.
1. With my receiver, shouldn't I just be able to plug my headset in to my receiver and my receiver will do all of the work and output 5.1 sound to my headset - as long as my headset is 5.1 cappable? I can then get a traditional USB microphone and plug that directly in to my PS3 - this USB mic will only be SENDING audio rather than receiving.

Another question for this set up is would it also output the in game chat to my headset? - How does it know how to control the volume of the two independently?

2. Get an external USB Soundcard, such as the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Surround%205.1) and figure out that set up. Again, what would the point of the TOSLink cable be if I'm using HDMI for audio and video?

Thanks!

I know other PC gamers are looking for an answer to these questions as well. If we can get together and get some clear cut answers this thread can be very useful to others in the future.
January 7, 2010 11:42:44 PM

So I’ve come up with a solution. Although it's not "5.1," that really wouldn't matter as that's specific to the headset in this case.

Since I have an AVR with a headphone jack, all I need to do is plug my headset (in this case audio technica ath-ad700) directly in to my receiver and that is that. As for the mic, I’m going to use my Icemat Siberia 3.5mm mic and a USB soundcard plugged directly in to a USB port on the PS3.

Yeah, it's all wired, but at the end of the day the quality of my headphones is superior to the turtle beach p21 - that I purchased and am refunding due to a DOA microphone.

Some more detailed info here....

PS3 HDMI Out to in my AVR's HDMI1 In. - This sends the audio and video signal from my PS3 to my AVR.

My AVR HDMI Out to my TV's HDMI1 In. - This is sending my active sources video, in this case HDMI1 to my TV. The audio goes over my 5.1 sound system.

When I plug my headphones in to my AVR via the ¼” jack it sends the audio to the headphones, thus giving me my surround sound effect and in game voice of others to my Audio-Technia ATH-AD700's - a very good set of phones.

I'm using a USB Soundcard (Amazon.com they run for about $3) and plugging my Icemat Siberia mic (standard 3.5mm) in to that so I can transmit chat to other players.

The big disadvantage here is it's all wired and I can't adjust the Chat volume on the fly - I need to go to options and do it that way, for MW2 at least. I can live with it since I will only really be speaking to people I'm familiar with and I'm good at cleaning up messy wires.
Score
Related resources
January 8, 2010 11:12:07 AM

The problem is very few HDMI headsets are in use, so thats not really a valid connection. So for the most part, 5.1 is limited to opical on the PS3.

I recommend the Tritton AX Pro's; very good sound quality, built in DD decoding, and the mic has a PS3 driver. Just be warned, a mess of wiring...
Score
January 8, 2010 11:09:36 PM

What's not a valid connection? My components are all connected via HDMI and my headphones use a 1/4" jack. All valid, tested, and working, minus the USB Soundcard for my Mic. Other people on these forums have already recommended the product I've purchased so I don't see why it wouldn't work but I will hold off on confirming that until I've tested it myself.
Score
August 11, 2010 10:58:54 PM

nxsteven said:
What's not a valid connection? My components are all connected via HDMI and my headphones use a 1/4" jack. All valid, tested, and working, minus the USB Soundcard for my Mic. Other people on these forums have already recommended the product I've purchased so I don't see why it wouldn't work but I will hold off on confirming that until I've tested it myself.

I know is been a LNG time since you posted This message but I have 3 perfect solutions for you. The first being the turtle beach x41 wireless 7.1 surround sound headset along with the amigo II USB sound card. This set up will run you about $180 US and will give you PSN chat along with 7.1 dolby digital surround sound.

The second solution I have for you is the astro a30 audio system with mixamp. This set up will give you 5.1 dolby digital surround sound and PSN voice chat through a wired set up. If you go with this option you'll be set back about $230 and it's also one of the few headsets allowed at mlg events.

My third and final solution for you would be to get the tritton ax pro true 5.1 Dolby digital headset. I beleive this will set you back about 200 big big ones but a as they 'you get what you pay for.'

However, if you already own a stereo headset and are just looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound solution, then my I incline the the turtle beach earforce dss which is a portalbe Dolby digital 7.1 decoder box that turns anything with a digital optical port into a Dolby headphone surround sound enable system.

I hope this was of some help to you or to someone out there how has or had similar questions.
Score
August 12, 2010 1:16:02 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!