kat

Could someone tell me which anti-virus program works the best?
--
Thanks, Kat

Best changes from day to day, depending upon who is out first with the
latest virus definitions and how quickly (after they are released) you
obtain them. Some people consider "best" as cheapest. Others consider "best"
as having the most bells and whistles. Others, I and sure, would consider
"best" as having a firewall included.

What do YOU mean by best?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Kat" <Kat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could someone tell me which anti-virus program works the best?
> --
> Thanks, Kat

The one the catches the bugs that try to invade your system.

There is no "best", the term is only relevant to each passing day. What
works best is safe computing habits, which are precisely the things that
most people do not do. Keep the system properly updated, and not just
windows, but antivirus and spyware software too. Outdated definition files
only catch outdated viruses. Do not open attachments unless you know it was
sent intentionally by the user - period, no exceptions.

What I use on various machines is e-trust, AVG, Kaspersky, and Avast. I
would recommend against using the more market-dominant Norton/Symantec and
Mcafee products as they tend to inhibit performance and are known to cause
numerous system issues.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Kat" <Kat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could someone tell me which anti-virus program works the best?
> --
> Thanks, Kat

kat

I have Zone Alarm Security Suite, Spybot Search and Destroy and Microsoft
AntiSpyware, plus a firewall, I am just wondering if I am doing this right, I
am new and just needed some answers, and thank you for yours.

--
Thanks, Kat

In news:C17C3069-9BF7-473B-8799-A7E3A69BB550@microsoft.com,
Kat <Kat@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Could someone tell me which anti-virus program works the best?

The problem with a question like this, about which is the "best"
anything, is that there are lots of folks here, and we don't all
agree on what's best. So instead of getting an answer, you end
with a lot of different opinions, and you're no better off than
where you started. *Every* anti-virus program has its partisans;
if one wasn't liked by anybody, it would quickly disappear.

All that said, *my* current favorite is Avast.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Kat wrote:
> I have Zone Alarm Security Suite, Spybot Search and Destroy and Microsoft
> AntiSpyware, plus a firewall, I am just wondering if I am doing this
> right, I
> am new and just needed some answers, and thank you for yours.

Very good start!
I would likely throw AdAware SE in there.. Does "Zone Alarm Security Suite"
now include some AntiVirus application? If not - you should get one to
round out your entourage! I would also add IE-SpyAd and SpywareBlaster to
immunize your system against some more common spyware/adware attacks.

As long as you keep the above list maintained and perform other normal
maintenance tasks on your PC (use it wisely), then you should enjoy the use
of your computer with its current install indefinitely.

I have a list of tips I could send you, if you like, that cover MANY
maintenance tips for the new and intermediate user.. Just reply to (email)
the address I use to send this post and I will gladly send it to you via
email (or search for my name in the newsgroups - sooner or later you will
come across the tips!)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

> Thanks, Kat
>

> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> The one the catches the bugs that try to invade your system.
>>
>> There is no "best", the term is only relevant to each passing day. What
>> works best is safe computing habits, which are precisely the things that
>> most people do not do. Keep the system properly updated, and not just
>> windows, but antivirus and spyware software too. Outdated definition
>> files
>> only catch outdated viruses. Do not open attachments unless you know it
>> was
>> sent intentionally by the user - period, no exceptions.
>>
>> What I use on various machines is e-trust, AVG, Kaspersky, and Avast. I
>> would recommend against using the more market-dominant Norton/Symantec
>> and
>> Mcafee products as they tend to inhibit performance and are known to
>> cause
>> numerous system issues.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Kat" <Kat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Could someone tell me which anti-virus program works the best?
>> > --
>> > Thanks, Kat

kat

The Zone Alarm Security Suite does have an antivirus program with it. I will
email you for those tips. Thank you very much.
--
Thanks, Kat

Kat wrote:
> Could someone tell me which anti-virus program works the best?

You'll get nearly as many differing opinions as you will

I used, and recommended, Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet
Security, for many years, on Win98, WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP, all
without any significant problems. I had used McAfee prior to that.
But it's been several years since I've been tempted to try McAfee
products. Their quality seemed to take a steep nose-dive after they
were acquired by Network Associates.

However, when my subscription to Symantec's updates for Norton
Internet Security 2002 came up for renewal (at a cost substantially
higher than the preceding year's subscription), I decided to try less
expensive solutions. I downloaded and installed the free version of
GriSoft's AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php ) and the
free version of Sygate's Personal Firewall
(http://smb.sygate.com/free/default.php ). Both have proven to be
easily installed, easy to use, and quite effective. Additionally, I
was pleasantly surprised to see a small but very noticeable
improvement in my PC's performance, once I'd replaced the Symantec
product.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

No. Because that is a matter of opinion in the end. If you cannot properly
manage it because you personally do not understand the interface - then no
matter what any person says - it is not the best for you.

Well, there are many products to choose from that will help you prevent
infections from these viruses/worms/trojans. Many are FREE to the
home user and which you choose is a matter of taste, really. Many people
have emotional attachments or performance issues with one or another
AntiVirus software. Try some out, read reviews and decide for yourself
which you like more:

( Good Comparison Page for AV software: http://www.av-comparatives.org/ )

AntiVir (Free and up)
http://www.free-av.com/

avast! (Free and up)

AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
http://free.grisoft.com/

eset NOD32 (~$39.00 and up)
http://www.eset.com/products/products.htm

eTrust EZ Antivirus (~$29.95 and up)
http://ca.com/store/home/us/hp2/

Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html

McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
http://www.mcafee.com/

Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/
(Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)

RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
(Free Online Scanner:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp)

Most of them have automatic update capabilities. You will have to
look into the features of the one you choose. Whatever one you finally
settle with - be SURE to keep it updated (I recommend at least daily) and
perform a full scan periodically (yes, most protect you actively, but a
full scan once a month at 4AM probably won't bother you.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
"Kat" <Kat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could someone tell me which anti-virus program works the best?
> --
> Thanks, Kat

dl

All those are OK
Do not take any notice of anyone suggesting you install a number of AV apps.
ZoneAlarm suite is an AV app the others are malware, which is different

> I have Zone Alarm Security Suite, Spybot Search and Destroy and Microsoft
> AntiSpyware, plus a firewall, I am just wondering if I am doing this
right, I
> am new and just needed some answers, and thank you for yours.
>
> --
> Thanks, Kat
>

> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
> > The one the catches the bugs that try to invade your system.
> >
> > There is no "best", the term is only relevant to each passing day. What
> > works best is safe computing habits, which are precisely the things that
> > most people do not do. Keep the system properly updated, and not just
> > windows, but antivirus and spyware software too. Outdated definition
files
> > only catch outdated viruses. Do not open attachments unless you know it
was
> > sent intentionally by the user - period, no exceptions.
> >
> > What I use on various machines is e-trust, AVG, Kaspersky, and Avast. I
> > would recommend against using the more market-dominant Norton/Symantec
and
> > Mcafee products as they tend to inhibit performance and are known to
cause
> > numerous system issues.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >
> > "Kat" <Kat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Could someone tell me which anti-virus program works the best?
> > > --
> > > Thanks, Kat

All you need is the 'free' version of AVG anti virus www.grisoft.com (you'll
need to search for the free version) As well as that get the free version of
Zone alarm (firewall) www.zonelabs.com
followed by Ad-Aware www.lavasfotusa.com and Spybot search and destroy
www.safer-networking.org
All the software is free and i use it regularly on my machine.
If you can't locate the free version of AVG there isa link on my website
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Just click the Life savers button and
scroll down to AVG anti virus then click the Download button.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

The information in this post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
reliability or content of this post. The Author shall not be liable for any
direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use
of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post..

"Kat" <Kat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could someone tell me which anti-virus program works the best?
> --
> Thanks, Kat

If one has Norton anti-virus, is it a waste of time to add AVG?
Can you add AVG to a system that has Norton Utilities?

TIA
Wull

"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> All you need is the 'free' version of AVG anti virus www.grisoft.com
> (you'll need to search for the free version) As well as that get the free
> version of Zone alarm (firewall) www.zonelabs.com
> followed by Ad-Aware www.lavasfotusa.com and Spybot search and destroy
> www.safer-networking.org
> All the software is free and i use it regularly on my machine.
> If you can't locate the free version of AVG there isa link on my website
> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Just click the Life savers button and
> scroll down to AVG anti virus then click the Download button.
>

> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>
> The information in this post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind,
> either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
> reliability or content of this post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
> the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
> post..
>

> "Kat" <Kat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Could someone tell me which anti-virus program works the best?
>> --
>> Thanks, Kat

Hi,

It never hurts to have a second opinion, just make sure only one is actively
scanning in the background under normal operation.

--

"Wull" <wmailey@gt.rr.com> wrote in message
> If one has Norton anti-virus, is it a waste of time to add AVG?
> Can you add AVG to a system that has Norton Utilities?
>
> TIA
> Wull
>
> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
>> All you need is the 'free' version of AVG anti virus www.grisoft.com
>> (you'll need to search for the free version) As well as that get the free
>> version of Zone alarm (firewall) www.zonelabs.com
>> followed by Ad-Aware www.lavasfotusa.com and Spybot search and destroy
>> www.safer-networking.org
>> All the software is free and i use it regularly on my machine.
>> If you can't locate the free version of AVG there isa link on my website
>> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Just click the Life savers button and
>> scroll down to AVG anti virus then click the Download button.
>>

>> --
>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>>
>> The information in this post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
>> reliability or content of this post. The Author shall not be liable for
>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
>> the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
>> this post..
>>

>> "Kat" <Kat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Could someone tell me which anti-virus program works the best?
>>> --
>>> Thanks, Kat

Hi Kat,

All good, and I would do as Shenan recommends and add AdawareII. All you
need is AV software. Just make sure you keep all these utilities up to date,
and most offer an auto-update feature to assist you in this.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Kat" <Kat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Zone Alarm Security Suite, Spybot Search and Destroy and Microsoft
> AntiSpyware, plus a firewall, I am just wondering if I am doing this
> right, I
> am new and just needed some answers, and thank you for yours.
>
> --
> Thanks, Kat
>

> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> The one the catches the bugs that try to invade your system.
>>
>> There is no "best", the term is only relevant to each passing day. What
>> works best is safe computing habits, which are precisely the things that
>> most people do not do. Keep the system properly updated, and not just
>> windows, but antivirus and spyware software too. Outdated definition
>> files
>> only catch outdated viruses. Do not open attachments unless you know it
>> was
>> sent intentionally by the user - period, no exceptions.
>>
>> What I use on various machines is e-trust, AVG, Kaspersky, and Avast. I
>> would recommend against using the more market-dominant Norton/Symantec
>> and
>> Mcafee products as they tend to inhibit performance and are known to
>> cause
>> numerous system issues.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Kat" <Kat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Could someone tell me which anti-virus program works the best?
>> > --
>> > Thanks, Kat

avg free