NWN2 - To run on Windows 7/XP/XP64 - GPU difference

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
December 24, 2009 11:19:29 PM

I'm trying to play through NWN2 again. I didn't give it much time a couple years back. I had it running on XP64 on my old machine. My partially rebuilt machine still has XP64 but when I patched the game it wouldn't run anymore. It would just load the launcher and then sit there and quit. If I don't put on patches I'm ok. I want to patch this game so now I'm trying to figure out of I should upgrade my XP64 to Windows 7 or downgrade to regular old XP.

My current set up is:

AMD Phenom II X3 720 (running at 3.4GHz)
4Gig DDR3 (running at 1600MHz)
7600GT (I OCed as far as I could take it 690MHz GPU / 800 MHz RAM) - this is the next to be upgraded.

If I went to Windows 7 would I be hurting myself on graphics performance with my 7600GT or does it really matter? Are there any other issues anyone is aware of that I'm missing? I guess worst case I could just run an old harddrive with regular XP running on it.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

More about : nwn2 run windows xp64 gpu difference

December 25, 2009 5:17:39 PM

Running Win7 vs. XP will do nothing for peformance that you would see, unless you run multiple Gfx cards then 7 is faster. I would move to 7 as the tech is better e.g. SSD drives, DX11 among other techs that are the future.
m
l
January 5, 2010 5:12:08 PM

I found with NWN and NWN2 that I had to update the video driver (or roll it back to a known working version), esp. with some of the download modules, or else I'd get the same symptoms as you described...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2010 1:26:26 PM

Gaming performance won't be hurt too bad, especially with the rig you have. At least you'd have better 64-bit driver support.

I'm running NWN2 without a problem under Windows 7 64-bit Professional. I haven't tried NWN1, but I did have it running under Vista 64-bit.

m
l
!