we purchased a new Compaq PC 3 years ago that included Windows XP already
loaded. Can we use this as the operating system on a gaming computer my son
is building on his own or do we need to purchase another copy of XP? My
Compaq came with system recovery cd's but no Windows XP cd. If we can use
this one, how do we copy from one system to the other?

In news:4C9ADAFC-7B66-49F3-A206-2AC01A51CDD1@microsoft.com,
missJAS <missJAS@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> we purchased a new Compaq PC 3 years ago that included Windows
> XP
> already loaded. Can we use this as the operating system on a
> gaming
> computer my son is building on his own or do we need to
> purchase
> another copy of XP?

You need to purchase another copy. The rule is quite clear. It's
one copy (or one license) for each computer.

There's nothing new here. This is exactly the same rule that's
been in effect on every version of Windows starting with Windows
3.1. The only thing new with XP is that there's now an
enforcement mechanism.

Please reply to the newsgroup

missJAS wrote:
> we purchased a new Compaq PC 3 years ago that included Windows XP already
> loaded. Can we use this as the operating system on a gaming computer my son
> is building on his own or do we need to purchase another copy of XP?

No. You'll need to purchase a separate WinXP license for each computer
on which you install it.

As it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and
U.S. copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if
not technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on
which it is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law
to determine final applicability in your locale.) The only way in
which WinXP licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows
is that Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft
mechanism, Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more
difficult) multiple installations using a single license.

> My
> Compaq came with system recovery cd's but no Windows XP cd. If we can use
> this one, how do we copy from one system to the other?

Your Compaq computer has an OEM license for WinXP. An OEM version must
be sold with a piece of hardware (normally a motherboard or hard rive,
if not an entire PC) and is _permanently_ bound to the first PC on which
it's installed. An OEM license, once installed, is not legally
transferable to another computer under _any_ circumstances.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

missJAS wrote:
> we purchased a new Compaq PC 3 years ago that included Windows XP already
> loaded. Can we use this as the operating system on a gaming computer my
> son
> is building on his own or do we need to purchase another copy of XP? My
> Compaq came with system recovery cd's but no Windows XP cd. If we can use
> this one, how do we copy from one system to the other?

You cannot use that copy of Windows XP (according to the agreement you
agreed to upon every use of it) on any computer other than the original PC
it was installed upon. It is what is known as and OEM (Original Equipment
manufacturer) copy of Windows XP and it's License Agreement ties it to the
original PC it is installed on no matter what happens to that PC (if you
melted the PC down with hydrochloric acid, the license - no matter how far
away from the computer at the time - also just "went away" according to the
agreement.

While that doesn't HAVE to hold up - the fact you have no real installation
CDs is a true limiting factor. Those restoration CDs were made to restore
the original system back to its original state and will not function on the
new system. Too many factors that will be different involved.

Your choices?
- Buy another OEM copy of Windows XP online..
- Buy a Retail copy of Windows XP at your local store..

If you want no chance in weirdness and want the ability (without argument
from anyone) to move the installation from one computer to another - choose
the second one.. If you won't be discussing this again - choose the first..
It's cheaper.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

enventually one must say. that if the user will install the other xp..
he will work perfectly.. although according to microsoft what I am
saying is illegal.... smile on bill gates i m using Linux :p

<alliscic@gmail.com> wrote in message
> enventually one must say. that if the user will install the other xp..
> he will work perfectly.. although according to microsoft what I am
> saying is illegal.... smile on bill gates i m using Linux :p

This is the United States. You have a First Amendment right to say what you
please. Microsoft cannot deem what you say to be illegal. The actions that
you so poorly tried to describe in your post might be illegal.

In the future, you migh consider using proper English. Your post makes no
sense. You apparently have no clue on how to construct a complete, correct
senetence. You have no working knowledge of grammar. If English is not
your native tongue, then I encourage you to keep learning. If English is
your native tongue, then you should be truly embarrassed. A fifth grader
would be able to construct a better sentence than you did. You should go
back to school and attempt to get through the sixth grade.

In addition, had you managed to somehow make a coherent post, it would not
have contibuted anything to this thread.

Bobby

alliscic@gmail.com wrote:
> enventually one must say. that if the user will install the other xp..
> he will work perfectly.. although according to microsoft what I am
> saying is illegal.... smile on bill gates i m using Linux :p

Actually - what you are saying makes no sense in any logical format.
Something about sentence structure, or lack thereof.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP