Samsung a650 - ringer options

I have a problem seting up the tones for my new SCH-a650. My problem
is that even when I set the ringer volume to vibrate, if the caller
leaves a message (or even if they get to the message and don't - it
leaves a VM anyway) - the ringer for voicemail rings loud! I can't
figure out how to make that change into 1beep, vibrate, or nothing -
if I ignore a call, I'm going to get the loud VM ring - no way to stop
it until it starts, then it can be cancelled.

Manual, predictably, sux - that or I'm blind.

Am I missing something?
- Bo

Bo Hica <bohica@gtemail.net> wrote:
> I have a problem seting up the tones for my new SCH-a650. My problem
> is that even when I set the ringer volume to vibrate, if the caller
> leaves a message (or even if they get to the message and don't - it
> leaves a VM anyway) - the ringer for voicemail rings loud! I can't
> figure out how to make that change into 1beep, vibrate, or nothing -
> if I ignore a call, I'm going to get the loud VM ring - no way to stop
> it until it starts, then it can be cancelled.
>
> Manual, predictably, sux - that or I'm blind.
>
> Am I missing something?

I have an SPH-A660, which is a Sprint phone which has all of the features
that the Verizon 650 does, plus one or two that it doesn't, but it essentially
is the same phone. I set my ringer to Vibrate, called and left a message for
myself, and the voicemail indicator vibrated - it did not ring.

Perhaps it's an issue specific to the firmware on your 650. You might try
calling Customer Service, asking to talk to tech support and asking them if
they have any record of other 650s with the same problem.

I have the same problem. No one here has answered me..

"Bo Hica" <bohica@gtemail.net> wrote in message
> I have a problem seting up the tones for my new SCH-a650. My problem
> is that even when I set the ringer volume to vibrate, if the caller
> leaves a message (or even if they get to the message and don't - it
> leaves a VM anyway) - the ringer for voicemail rings loud! I can't
> figure out how to make that change into 1beep, vibrate, or nothing -
> if I ignore a call, I'm going to get the loud VM ring - no way to stop
> it until it starts, then it can be cancelled.
>
> Manual, predictably, sux - that or I'm blind.
>
> Am I missing something?
> - Bo

Is it possible to use a different ring, different from the regular incomming
call ring, so I know if I just received a text message or a regular call?

sjsobol@JustThe.net

JessicaR <JR0p@nospam.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to use a different ring, different from the regular incomming
> call ring, so I know if I just received a text message or a regular call?

I can on my 660 and you should also be able to on your 650.

Most of the menu choices should be the same... if Verizon's manual isn't
working for you, try Sprint's for the 660...

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/media/Assets/Equipment/Handsets/pdf/samsungvi660.pdf

Thanks for your help. I really didnt see that option in my phone

> JessicaR <JR0p@nospam.com> wrote:
> > Is it possible to use a different ring, different from the regular
incomming
> > call ring, so I know if I just received a text message or a regular
call?

> I can on my 660 and you should also be able to on your 650.
>
> Most of the menu choices should be the same... if Verizon's manual isn't
> working for you, try Sprint's for the 660...

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/media/Assets/Equipment/Handsets/pdf/samsungvi660.pdf

> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

Paul

Splendid

On my VZW SCH-a650:

Menu > Sounds > Volume/Vibrate
Choose "Calls" for how it rings when you get a phone call
Choose "Alarm" for how it rings when you get a VM notification or text
message.

Menu > Sounds > Ringer Type
Select Calls, Alarm, Data, or Planner to select different ring tones for
those respectively.

Pressing the external volume up/down button during an incoming call silences
the ringer.

HTH,
-- Paul

"Bo Hica" <bohica@gtemail.net> wrote in message
> I have a problem seting up the tones for my new SCH-a650. My problem
> is that even when I set the ringer volume to vibrate, if the caller
> leaves a message (or even if they get to the message and don't - it
> leaves a VM anyway) - the ringer for voicemail rings loud! I can't
> figure out how to make that change into 1beep, vibrate, or nothing -
> if I ignore a call, I'm going to get the loud VM ring - no way to stop
> it until it starts, then it can be cancelled.
>
> Manual, predictably, sux - that or I'm blind.
>
> Am I missing something?
> - Bo

I don't think so Paul. I finally stumbled on the setting, and while I would
have THOUGHT it would be as you said, but I found it in
Menu > 3Messages > 8Msg Setting > 2Msg Alert under which there's
1 Volume/Vibrate (standard options there, vibrate through level5 plus 1beep,
and none)
2 Type ( under each of these is ringtone selection)
1Voicemail
2Page
3Text
4Web Alert
3Reminder

So, if like me and you want only one beep when a message has come in, or
just a vibrate, it is done from here.

Also, silencing the ringer for the call DOES NOT silence the subsequent ring
when the caller has left a message.

Hope JessicaR is still watching.....

- Bo