ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe; Problems with IDE bootup

mbatte

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003
Hey all,

I upgraded my CPU, Motherboard and Ram.

Got a P4 2.4C GHz CPU, the ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe board and 2 PC3200/DDR400 512M memory sticks (total 1G).

I have 1 floppy, 2 CDroms and 1 HDD (Quantum Fireball - 30M, 7200).

In the BIOS set up, it recognizes my HDD as the Primary Master and the CDRoms as the Secondary Master & Slave. With the HDD connected to the blue port (primary) and the CDroms connected to the black port (secondary). Great - everything looked good...

The problem occurs when I boot up. When it gets to the part where it is loading up the FastTrack portion and is scanning the IDE drives, I get the following error:

"No device is attached to the FastTrack controller, The BIOS is not installed".

Then it says

"Reboot & select a proper boot device or insert boot media.."

It seems that it does not recognize my HDD as a bootable device. The BIOS settings were all at default settings. I also changed the "Onboard IDE operate mode" to "Compatible" so that I could set it to P-ATA Ports only but that did not work either. But since I have Windows XP, it should stay at Enhanced which does not work.

I went in to the BIOS and Disabled the "Onboard Promise Controller" as I do not need RAID.

I no longer get the 1st error about the device attached to the FastTrack controller but I still get the Reboot and Select a Boot Device or insert Boot Media...

I guess it doesn't like my HD. Not sure where to go from here. I tried putting in a bootable disk - but it will not even read it - jumps to that 2nd error message.

Could someone please let me know what settings are required for me to use so that I can boot up the system. Maybe I'm forgetting to plug something it, but I don't understand why in the BIOS screen I can see all the IDE and boot sequence settings, but they are not being used when I actually boot up.

Let me know your thoughts or if you need more infor.

Thanks.

mbatte

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003
Well - looks like the floppy cable I got with the mobo was defective. Used an old one and was able to reinstall XP. Everything is ok now.