removing new hardware wizard pop up

When I switch on my computer I am getting a new found new hardware wizard
even though there is no new hardware and I can't get rid of it - can anyone
tell me what to do to permenantly remove it. Thanks Dan
3 answers Last reply
More about removing hardware wizard

    i had an old-old computer which use to come up with the wizard detecting a
    new PCI?i just let the wizard do all the looking and loading,which came up
    with not being able to locate the PCI hardware,but it didnt prompt again.
    --
    jo68

    "Dan" wrote:

    > When I switch on my computer I am getting a new found new hardware wizard
    > even though there is no new hardware and I can't get rid of it - can anyone
    > tell me what to do to permenantly remove it. Thanks Dan

    Have you installed a multi-function printer in the past. If so, you may not
    have installed the necessary software for "all" of the printers modules.
    Some printers have print (of course), fax, scan etc. You need the software
    for all of them or you will continue to get these pop-ups.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    > When I switch on my computer I am getting a new found new hardware wizard
    > even though there is no new hardware and I can't get rid of it - can
    > anyone
    > tell me what to do to permenantly remove it. Thanks Dan

    Yes, I agree with the comment of Richard U except that the solution of
    installing further software could be too laborious. After having being using
    XP Pro for a while with no interference, the same problem occured to me as
    well. What I did was the following:
    1. By means of the Task Manager I analysed which process was starting up
    this hardware wizzard.
    2. It was the installing software belonging to my multi-functional
    printer/scanner of HP.
    3. Now you my start msconfig and uncheck this process in the Startup tab,
    and/or
    4. Rename this same process by adding for inistance the suffix _DISABLED.
    (You really don't have any use of that process for the time beeing.)
    5. If you want to do it right to the end, you also could then run
    Registryfix.exe (find it on the net) to clean up the shortcut as well which
    should start up this particular process.

    > When I switch on my computer I am getting a new found new hardware wizard
    > even though there is no new hardware and I can't get rid of it - can
    > anyone
    > tell me what to do to permenantly remove it. Thanks Dan

Hardware Computers Microsoft Windows XP