jaman4dbz

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2003
yes i know my q's arent as complex as yours... stop showing off =P, anyways i have a choice right now between:
1)MSI 865PE NEO2-LS, 6728-020, 8x AGP,P4 2.4, with 800 mhz bus ----------$839 (canadian)
OR
2)MSI MB KT6 DELTA-LSR K7 VIAKT600 SocketA AthlonXP 2500+, with 333 mhz bus --------- $608

both have 512k cache, and both have 1024 mb of ram
is the 800 mhz bus worth the $200? (if you can give me an understanding of how my computer would perform with the differing buses please tell)

SJJM

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
What kind of memery do you have. Cause if it is less then pc 3200, then I would say go for the amd setup(which I think you should of with a nvidia chipset). If you have pc 3200 then I would say that the Intel setup would be a little faster and you are able to upgrade in the feature to a prescott.

<font color=blue>"You know, that my backstab attack does double the damage. I can make an off button for him." </font color=blue> :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If those are your only choices, option 1 is the much better of the two.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pat

Expert
I would go for something like option 2 and put the 200$ on a good top of the line video card. cpu for cpu, you wont really notice any difference at these speed, but with a good video card, that you would notice. or, if you already have a good video card, then enjoy the 200$ somewhere else....like to get out in the clubs, sports events,....

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

deadkenny

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
It's not really an 800MHz FSB though. It's more like 200MHz, 2 signals per cycle and dual channel. The AMD is like 166Mhz (or 200Mhz if you go with the XP3200, which I don't recommend you do), with 2 signals per cycle but single channel. So the question becomes, is dual channel FSB worth it? That depends on what you're using the system for. But I would recommend that in making your comparison you look at an nForce2 m/b running PC2700 sychronously with the FSB for the AMD side of the equation. The Intel set up looks to be a reasonable one.

That (upgrade) which does not destroy you(r system's stability), makes it stronger. Nietzche