Change computer and workgroup name in registry?

Is there a location in the registry where I can change the computer and
workgroup names?

I havent been successful using Mobile Net Switch and others to accomplish
this -- and I need to be able to do it.

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about change computer workgroup registry

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 18:20:23 GMT, JimmyJam wrote:

    > Is there a location in the registry where I can change the computer and
    > workgroup names?
    >
    > I havent been successful using Mobile Net Switch and others to accomplish
    > this -- and I need to be able to do it.
    >
    > Thanks

    System Properties> Computer Name. Click the "Change" button and use screen
    that appears to change computer name and/or workgroup name. Click OK.
    Restart when prompted.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sharon,

    I have that routine down pat, but I was trying to automate things.
    Supposedly, Mobile Net Switch can change users and domains and a script can
    run to change the workgroup -- all without rebooting. I havent gotten them
    to work yet. So i thought a reg hack might work. No?

    Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in

    > On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 18:20:23 GMT, JimmyJam wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a location in the registry where I can change the computer
    >> and workgroup names?
    >>
    >> I havent been successful using Mobile Net Switch and others to
    >> accomplish this -- and I need to be able to do it.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    > System Properties> Computer Name. Click the "Change" button and use
    > screen that appears to change computer name and/or workgroup name.
    > Click OK. Restart when prompted.

Computers Registry Microsoft Windows XP