Why not in Internet Explorer?

I've posted this question before, but in a different form.

When I go to http://www.saxlessons.com/ using Internet Explorer
v. 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr it does not show the favicon in the address bar.

Going to the same site with Mozilla Firwfox v. 1.0.6, the icon does show.

The above site is one example only - the same thing applies to many sites.

I have looked through the Tools >> Internet Options lists, but do not see a
place to enable or disable the favicons.

Help, anyone?

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
9 answers Last reply
More about internet explorer

    To what "favicon" are you referring? I get the default IE icon in IE
    Address Bar at that site.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:03:52 -0400, "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

    >To what "favicon" are you referring? I get the default IE icon in IE
    >Address Bar at that site.

    So do I.

    However, when I visit that site using Mozilla Firefox, I get the eBay favicon
    (red "e", blue "b", yellow "a" and green "y" ) instead of the default IE icon.
    Try it - you'll see what I mean.

    In a previous post, I was told that Internet Explorer invented favicons - I'm
    just wondering what I have to do to get IE to display them.

    http://www.saxlessons.com/favicon.ico

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:jpurh1pgnca971h2g39bkgvf8cq0f5m8tg@4ax.com,
    John <>< <> hunted and pecked:
    > On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:03:52 -0400, "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> To what "favicon" are you referring? I get the default IE icon in IE
    >> Address Bar at that site.
    >
    > So do I.
    >
    > However, when I visit that site using Mozilla Firefox, I get the eBay
    > favicon (red "e", blue "b", yellow "a" and green "y" ) instead of the
    > default IE icon. Try it - you'll see what I mean.
    >
    > In a previous post, I was told that Internet Explorer invented favicons -
    > I'm just wondering what I have to do to get IE to display them.
    >
    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.

    IMO you're seeing default behavior in IE and misbehavior in Firefox: That
    site is not an Ebay site and shouldn't have the Ebay icon associated with
    it. (I'd be more concerned about whether I could reach the page or not,
    instead of the icon displayed in Address Bar.)

    That being said...

    Increase Icon Cache (Line 121, Left)
    FavOrg - Restore and Save Favorite Icons (Line 108, Right)
    ~PA Bear

    John <>< wrote:
    > On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:03:52 -0400, "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > To what "favicon" are you referring? I get the default IE icon in IE
    > > Address Bar at that site.
    >
    > So do I.
    >
    > However, when I visit that site using Mozilla Firefox, I get the eBay
    > favicon (red "e", blue "b", yellow "a" and green "y" ) instead of the
    > default IE icon. Try it - you'll see what I mean.
    >
    > In a previous post, I was told that Internet Explorer invented favicons -
    > I'm just wondering what I have to do to get IE to display them.
    >
    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.

    The only thing that comes to mind is that various sites reference placing the HTML for the favicon in the <HEAD> section of the page, and this page puts it in the <BODY>. Other browsers may not be as picky as IE.
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "John <><" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message news:9errh1p1f884i8smb000aj4qgvnqaari23@4ax.com...
    > I've posted this question before, but in a different form.
    >
    > When I go to http://www.saxlessons.com/ using Internet Explorer
    > v. 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr it does not show the favicon in the address bar.
    >
    > Going to the same site with Mozilla Firwfox v. 1.0.6, the icon does show.
    >
    > The above site is one example only - the same thing applies to many sites.
    >
    > I have looked through the Tools >> Internet Options lists, but do not see a
    > place to enable or disable the favicons.
    >
    > Help, anyone?
    >
    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.

    "John <><" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:03:52 -0400, "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> To what "favicon" are you referring? I get the default IE icon in IE
    >> Address Bar at that site.
    >
    > So do I.
    >
    > However, when I visit that site using Mozilla Firefox, I get the eBay
    > favicon (red "e", blue "b", yellow "a" and green "y" ) instead of the
    > default IE icon. Try it - you'll see what I mean.
    >
    > In a previous post, I was told that Internet Explorer invented
    > favicons - I'm just wondering what I have to do to get IE to display
    > them.
    >
    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.

    In Firefox I get a small image of a saxophone.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Like this?

    In news:uzTG7e1sFHA.1568@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP <franksaunders@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    > "John <><" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:03:52 -0400, "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> To what "favicon" are you referring? I get the default IE icon in IE
    >>> Address Bar at that site.
    >>
    >> So do I.
    >>
    >> However, when I visit that site using Mozilla Firefox, I get the eBay
    >> favicon (red "e", blue "b", yellow "a" and green "y" ) instead of the
    >> default IE icon. Try it - you'll see what I mean.
    >>
    >> In a previous post, I was told that Internet Explorer invented
    >> favicons - I'm just wondering what I have to do to get IE to display
    >> them.
    >>
    >> John <><
    >>
    >> A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    >> with an other monkey's monkey.
    >
    > In Firefox I get a small image of a saxophone.
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC
    > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    Yep.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

    PA Bear Wrote:
    > (I'd be more concerned about whether I could reach the page or not,
    > instead of the icon displayed in Address Bar.)

    Could not agree with you more!
    It never seizes to amaze me what little petty complaints some people
    come up with. Must be the good and troublefree life they are enjoying.
    Visited the site with both browsers, and even though it has been
    pointed out to me, it took a few moments to locate the icon, and then I
    thought "SO what?"
    Call me cynical, but I can't help feeling that, the caller is somehow
    connected to that website.

    --
    lomaca

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP