Morrowind: Divayth Fyr not accepting boots

G

First off I want to say I play on the Xbox, so I cannot try going to the console and replacing this npc.

Now, I'm at the point in the main quest where I get the dwemer boots from the Last Dwarf Alive; so I go get them, my journal updates and I go to Divayth Fyr, but when I talk to him he acts as if I don't have the boots on me.
I had a previous pair which I bought in Hla Oad so that might have screwed things up, but I tried going back to an earlier save, one right before I got this quest from him, but it didn't work. I tried several things, like only talking with one pair, or taking off my pair before accepting it, or equipping it or talking to the last dwarf alive again, none of it works--he still tells me to go get the boots for him. The dwemer tells me he already gave me the boots.

I only have these two saves, if I can't somehow fix it from here I'll have to start over. What can I do? Do I have a corrupt disk? It has a lot of scratches and I had my first crash a while before this... I don't want to start over and I want to continue the main quest!

G

Me again! Problem solved on its own, I went out and adventured for an in-game week or so and came back carrying only 1 pair of boots and he took them, allowing me to continue.

Thanks in advance, this seems like a really great site, I like how quickly you can sign up. No muss, no fuss.