P4P800 ram won't work, I think?

PHOBOS

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
I just downloaded the manual (.pdf) for the ASUS P4P800 (non-Deluxe) and found something that I didn't like.

There Is a page with a table of ram that is compatible with the mobo and in what "modes" they are compatible in.
1)Single Channel
2)2 ram sticks in Dual Channel
3)4 ram sticks in Daul Channel

The ram that I want to get is listed there but does not support the last option. This is a problem, I'll explain.

The ram I want is Kingston HyperX PC3500 (KHX3500/256).
That is I want 2 x 256MB in dual Channel mode. Thats fine, according to the manual.

But later (a few months, when I have the cash) I want to get 2 more of the exact same memory so that I have 4 x 256MB in total.

But according to the manual, this is not possible. Am I skrewed or what, or has someone found a way around this, BIOS update, new mobo version out, manual tipo, ANY THING, HELP.

I haven't got any of this stuff yet (and cant afford 2x512MB), but I finaly narrowed my search down to these items a this ***** gets in my way , what can I do (tired of thinking - head hurts).

Thanks

Leader of TEAMPHOBOS

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It will work. Additional modules will place additional stress on the timings, but running it at PC3200 speed, or increasing voltage or latency timings, should make it work fine. You might even get lucky and have it work at full speed without changing the settings.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

aosborn

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003
Are you trying to say that you want to buy 2 sticks of memory now, run that dual channel. then upgrade to another 2 sticks later and run all 4 in dual channel? because it is possible, but all 4 sticks must be the same speed, brand, size, model number. exactly the same. So when you buy your first pair get it from the same place or look at the model numbers. I dont know the price of the memory you want but i'd suggest GeIL memory. I think you said PC3200 and its about $107 for 2x256mb matched pairs of pc3200 400mhz ddr. very good memory and it looks cool (http://www.geilusa.com/images/GeILGD-1.jpg).

I dont know if thats what you meant to ask but i'm pretty sure im right on that. cant have 2 pairs of different memory to do dual channel. so buy exact same stuff. I have the P4P800-Deluxe motherboard in my system and I love it. I have 2x512mb memory ($218 from GeIL).

ClutchWorks

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2003
I would go with crashman if he says it will work. Additionally though, while talking with a tech @ mushkin before, he stated that 2x512 would be a faster setup than 4x256, possibly for the reasons Crashman stated(less likely to need to relax timings) So my suggestion would be to buy one 512 now and another later.

tjchino

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2003
i noticed that you said you had the p4p800 deluxe with a gig of geil memory. i have a somewhat similar setup... p4p800 deluxe, but with matched pairs of kingston 3200 hyperx. the advertised timings are... 1-2-2-2-6 (or something close to that).

Ok, so here's my problem. I was having a horrible time trying to get my xp os on the sata raid array i had. at first, i thought it was the sata's, but i figured out that they were just fine. next i thought it was vid card... chaintech nvidia 4200ti 64mb. switched it and all my problems were still there... stop errors and restarts of all sorts (both in setup post setup).

so i finally thought "memory!". i played with timings and occasionally things would go better. less aggressive reduced the number of errors, but certainly didn't eliminate them. so did a memtest on it... thousands of errors in test 5 and 6. ok... so now i'm at a loss. i've rma'd the memory and mobo, but they will just be sending replacements.

my question is what if everything comes and same stuff happens? i've read some stuff about uping the voltage settings, but i'm not sure what to set them to. people say start increasing them slowly by .1 volts. but right now it is on auto and so i don't know where to begin. i'm also a bit nervous about messing with voltage... never done it before and am concerned about frying something!

ok... any suggestions!