Ariaudo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2003
I'm building a new PC for my son and I've got the hardware up and running but I'm having problems installing XP Home.

The installation disk is one I've burned myself from an image file downloaded from MSDN as a subscriber. The initial process works fine, copies files and then does the first reboot. Windows then starts for the first time, install processes resumes and almost immediately I get a CRC error.

I've tried reburning the disc, using the DVD drive instead, taking the CD drive that burned the disc out of my PC and using that but still get the same error.

The mobo is an Asus AV8 Deluxe with a single Maxtor SATA HDD. I've tried the drive through both the VIA and Promise SATA controllers on the board and I've also tried with just the ATA drive from his old machine and still get fatal errors.

I've never had this problems before and don't really know what to do now. I may attempt an XP Pro install instead but have little confidence that anything different will happen.

Any ideas or suggestions, please? I'm tearing what little hair I have left out over this!

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I’m thinking the download was bad, since you got a CRC error. I would try down loading again, and also think if you did install XP Pro you would be successful.