using a usb cdrom to upgrade to xp

I have an old laptop that is running on Win 2000 and i want to upgrade
to XP but I have no floppy or cdrom drives with the exception of a usb
cdrom drive that works fine for any other instals. When I load XP
upgrade it happily goes through the motions then restarts and complains
that it cannot see a cdrom drive (ie D: ) and threofore cannot finnish
the instalation.
Can anyone tell me how to get it to see the usb cdrom drive at this
point of instalation?

--
treelow
1 answer Last reply

    Hi,

    It'd probably be easier to just copy the I386 folder from the CD to the hard
    drive, then run setup from there (execute the winnt32.exe file).

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "treelow" <treelow.1uynpu@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > I have an old laptop that is running on Win 2000 and i want to upgrade
    > to XP but I have no floppy or cdrom drives with the exception of a usb
    > cdrom drive that works fine for any other instals. When I load XP
    > upgrade it happily goes through the motions then restarts and complains
    > that it cannot see a cdrom drive (ie D: ) and threofore cannot finnish
    > the instalation.
    > Can anyone tell me how to get it to see the usb cdrom drive at this
    > point of instalation?
    >

    > --
    > treelow

Windows XP USB