Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dirt 2 stuttering

Last response: in Video Games
December 27, 2009 3:03:02 PM

Hi,ive just built my bro a pc,AMD 965 3.4GHZ,4GB Ram and ATI 5870 GPU,ive installed all the latest drivers,plus hot fix but when we run Dirt 2 we are getting around 30-40 fps but its running really bad,the only way i can describe it is when we play it or run the benchmark its like the cars are on elastic bands,its going ok and then its like they are being held back and then it goes ok again,and it just goes on like that,ive tried installing the slightly older 9.11 driver,there is a slight improvement but not much,ive been on some other forums and ppl are saying that if they install the HDMI sound driver the game crashes,so i have not installed that. On my own rig it runs fine,iam running a AMD 9950 BE with 8BGB ram and two 4078 in crossfire,now on paper my bros machine is better but will not run Dirt 2 smoothly. Any help with this would be very much appriciated.

More about : dirt stuttering

December 27, 2009 3:07:17 PM

Sry thats ment to be 4870, and 8gb, it would not let me edit lol
December 28, 2009 2:26:16 AM

Bro I have the same stutters as you man, and I perfectly understand what you mean by the "elastic bands" effect, lolz. I have an ATi 5870 (which is supposed to do wonders in that game), but I stutter or hiccup when I put the presets to High, so i'm forced to be on Medium, which sucks...

Anyways, it either could be related to hardware problems like HDD or RAM, or software related. Did you buy the actual disk or installed it through Steam?
Related resources
December 28, 2009 9:22:44 AM

Well ive done both,my bro got the game free with his card and so i set up the steam account and downloaded it and i have also tried it with a disc but get the same effects,but with the 5870 you should be able to run the game with everything maxed out, i do know that you will get slightly less fps than i do useing my 2x 4870 but thats because the 5870 has a lot more to process,so iam led to believe,i guess you and my bro and all other 5870 users will have to wait until the drivers mature which is very annoying and iam happy that you get what i mean by the elastic band effect lol.The thing is tho is when we very first played it on my bro rig(from disc) it ran sweet,but now for some reason it does not.
December 28, 2009 10:23:28 AM

Funny thing, I didn't realize you were using an AMD 965 Phenom II, and your spec is similar to mine, lol.

Anyways, I tried switching the DVI port (Cuz the other port is kinda buggy) and ran DiRT 2 again this afternoon, same result :(  . I could actually max out the settings if I put the resolution lower (my native resolution is 1920x1080) to 1440x900. Stuttering at that resolution has diminished significantly, but still far from that 'smooth butter' FPS I crave. Yep, I very much think it's related to driver problems, so our best bet is to wait until a fix is available, hopefully.

EDIT: BTW, does your bro's DiRT 2 stutter only when near-maxed/maxed out? Does it run fine on Medium presets?
December 28, 2009 10:46:42 AM

Ive not tried it tbh,iam just downloading it again from steam as i formatted his pc,once its done ill get back to you to let you know,oh and his native resolution is 1920x1200 but those 5870 should handle that no problems. And why should you reduce settingsm,this card should manage without you having to comprimise...BRING OUT NEW DRIVERS PLEASE lol.
December 28, 2009 11:12:57 AM

Hmm, I don't think re-formmating will solve the problem IMO, as I've done so three times with the same results.
December 28, 2009 9:51:20 PM

Ok well here is were iam at at the moment,ive updated all the bios,D/L Dirt 2 from steam,tried it with both 9.11 and 9.12 with hotfix drivers and most of the stuttering has gone when playing the game but when watching replays back its still there but only at certain points. I have ran 3DMark06 with both drivers and i got a slightly higher score with the 9.11 driver compared to the 9.12,but the strange thing is and this is the thing thats really screwing with my head is that FPS are high but yet games run with a slight stutter,for example i am getting around 60 FPS on Dirt 2 but yet it stutters,but thats with setting on high and not ultra,where as i get around 71FPS with my 4870`s in crossfire with some of the settings on ultra,so how does that work,it has to be a driver issue,well iam hoping that it is,but at least i have got the game playable.......for now.
December 29, 2009 3:04:57 PM

Thanks for that vrgboxy,i am just d/l it now,but wont get chance to try it until later,i think it may sort out the gliches with my cards as they are crossfire,but not my bro`s he is running a single 5870 and is experiencing more problems that i do,ill let you know the results,thanks again.
January 1, 2010 4:33:59 AM

vrgboxy said:
Seeing as you both have ATI Graphics it may be worth while trying this:

http://www.dirt-2.com/showthread.php?t=66

Hope it solves your problems guys.

Dave

Downloaded the hotfix, yet it still stutters on my 5870. Guess I'll just wait for the new drivers to come :S
January 1, 2010 9:47:02 PM

Ok i have been on my bro`s pc all over bloody christmas,got no gaming in what so ever,ive got it playable by installing the driver that was on his disk,stuttering has reduced some what in game but still stutters when watching replays,cant have settings maxed out which you should be able to with a 5870 but what i did notice when i went into the ccc i noticed that the GPU clock was only reading 153Mhz,now surely this cant be right,my 4870 reads 600Mhz,i wonder if i have a faulty card and this is a bigger part of the problem and not just the drivers,but it seems to play MW2 ok,i have to have Vsync on as i get really bad screen tear with that game.
Anonymous
January 14, 2010 5:46:27 PM

I have exactly the same problem as you. Have you had any update on this?
Anonymous
January 14, 2010 11:24:28 PM

Quote:
I have exactly the same problem as you. Have you had any update on this?

Same problem here. no solution.
January 15, 2010 9:02:38 PM

It would seem that a lot of people are having the same problems,my bro still cant play the game maxed out on his 5870 and i have to run the 9.11 driver(not hot fix) with just the one card(not crossfire) with my 4870`s. If i run crossfire after a few mins of playing the fps drop to 28 for some strange reason but if i apply the hot fix which is ment to fix crossfire issues when i play LA and iam in the stadium section i get real bad slow down but once out of the staduim it rights its self.I just hope that the next drivers fix both crossfire and 5870 issues.
January 15, 2010 9:06:36 PM

I i forgot to mention that i got the game running better on my bro`s 5870 by installing the driver that came on the disc,this is the only way it is playable at the moment.
January 16, 2010 4:46:28 PM

Can you let me know if it works please,if i will do the same,btw are you running a 4870 or 5870?
Anonymous
January 16, 2010 6:51:49 PM

Hi, Not really made much difference, Grass in some levels seams to have a good draw distance now which was another issue I had. I am running a xfx HD 5870 xxx.

If I turn off AA and leave on High present then stutter is much better. To me it seams like I directX 11 and dirt 2 problem.

I get the same sort of stutter in far cry 2 (Direct X 10) but the 30 fps limit fixes that.

January 16, 2010 11:41:59 PM

Ill try that on my bro`s card,i think he is running AA so ill get that turned off,thanks for the info on that.
January 17, 2010 6:24:06 PM

Hi,

OK I think I have it figured out now.

Everything on Max 1920 x1080. Appart from AA x4 and the real key to ths problem for me was that as certain points on the game mainly directx 11 effects I would get stutter. This was due to poor frame rate and having VSYNC on.

Turn off VSYNC and no more stutter!!!

I am now looking at forcing tripple buffer as it tairs a little now, but not noticable when racing.

Just one more thing for anybody having the vertical line crash problem. I had this and the only thing that solved it was to RMA the card. Got the replacement card and it has NEVER happened since!

xfx HD 5870 xxx
January 18, 2010 5:51:39 PM

Thanks for that jpee,ill try that on my bro`s` rig and see what happens,oh btw what driver do you have installed?
January 18, 2010 5:53:20 PM

One more thing sorry,how are you going to force tripple buffering,are you using something like Riva Tuner?
January 19, 2010 10:59:52 AM

Guys, the 5000 series struggles at DX11 in Dirt. Go back to DX9 mode, as the DX11 path on the 5000 series benchs at an unstable 30-40 FPS.
January 19, 2010 5:03:48 PM

Hmm,interesting.thanks for that Gamerk316,is this just a problem with Dx11 in dirt 2 or is the 5000 series going to struggle with DX11 in any DX11 enabled game?
January 19, 2010 7:06:35 PM

Don`t know if this will help anyone who is having any problems with Dirt 2,i was just on youtube watching some vids on Dirt 2 and came across one where you can actually force DX9,now some people may already know this so apologies to those who do.I am running 2 4870`s which are DX10 GPU`s so i naturally thought that i would be running the game in DX9.
I went into my Documents and then My Game`s folder and then Dirt 2 folder and in there there is a config file and in part of it is says DirectX Forcedx9="false". Now if you open the config file in Note Pad you can change this to True so that it forces the game to run in DX9.
January 21, 2010 9:53:18 AM

gamerk316 said:
Guys, the 5000 series struggles at DX11 in Dirt. Go back to DX9 mode, as the DX11 path on the 5000 series benchs at an unstable 30-40 FPS.

Not true for everyone. I have a 5870 and i get between 65-80 FPS.
January 21, 2010 7:47:15 PM

abdul89 can you please tell me which drivers you have istalled,my bro has a 5870 and at the moment he has to run with settings just on high,he cant max out as the game stutters,especially in replay`s. The game still stutters with those settings as well,just not as bad,he is running the driver that came with the disk,thats the only way we can get it playable,other games are ok so i dont think its a faulty card.
January 22, 2010 2:27:56 PM

im using the 09.12 drivers. I think those are the latest. I didnt install anything from the cd supplied with my graphics card, i just downloaded the entire CCC and driver package from the ATI website.
January 22, 2010 5:42:12 PM

Ok thank you for the reply,just one more thing,there is a 9.12 hotfix,does that hot fix apply to the 5870?,if so do you know if you have to have the 9.12 driver installed and then install the hotfix or is the hotfix a stand alone install?
January 22, 2010 10:21:16 PM

Hmmm, im not too sure about that. I think the hotfix is a separate install, and i dont think that i have it. If i recall correctly, i just got the ordinary 9.12 drivers. And in CCC, it also just says 9.12, and theres no mention of hotfix (although im not sure if it would show up in CCC whether its hotfix or not). Maybe someone else can offer some insight with regards to the hotfix????

Maybe get driver sweeper and get rid of all the drivers on the pc, and then do a fresh download of the drivers and see if that makes any difference?
January 23, 2010 8:23:16 PM

Im not too sure as i havnt actually had the need to ever use it. Download it and check it out, im sure it probably finds all the drivers on your pc and then asks you which ones you want to get rid of.

And to confirm, i do not have the hotifx installed. Also, try posting threads on:
1. AMD Gaming forum
2. Dirt forum

and also you can contact AMD directly for assistance.
January 23, 2010 9:59:33 PM

Ok,thanks for taking the time to reply,ill check out those forums,thanks again.
January 25, 2010 3:24:18 AM

Hi andy,

even i to have this problem but it is different actually i get very good fps arround 45-50 in options menu but in the gameplay i get only 20-30 fps i don't know why i overclocked my device but that still didn't worked for me pls help me i haven't installed the hot fix drivers 9.12 i have only installed ordinary catalyst 9.12 please help me on this......!!!

pc config:
intel core2 duo, 4 gbddr2 ram, ati radeon 5850, 650 w cooler master....

Thanks in advance,
SSX
January 25, 2010 9:59:41 AM

ssx18 said:
Hi andy,

even i to have this problem but it is different actually i get very good fps arround 45-50 in options menu but in the gameplay i get only 20-30 fps i don't know why i overclocked my device but that still didn't worked for me pls help me i haven't installed the hot fix drivers 9.12 i have only installed ordinary catalyst 9.12 please help me on this......!!!

pc config:
intel core2 duo, 4 gbddr2 ram, ati radeon 5850, 650 w cooler master....

Thanks in advance,
SSX

What processor do you have? Whats the model and speed its running at?
January 25, 2010 8:23:13 PM

Hi ssx18,my bro has a 5870 and at the moment the only way i have got his to be playable is to install the driver that came on his cd,i know its a old driver but it works for now.So try unistalling your 9.12 driver and install the one from your cd,Documents and then go to My Documents, My Game`s folder and then Dirt 2 folder and in there there is a config file and in part of it is says DirectX Forcedx9="false". Now if you open the config file in Note Pad you can change this to True so that it forces the game to run in DX9. In theory it should run better.I think the problems are steming from DX11,the drivers just arn`t up to speed yet,but it should not be long before a new one is out.Hope this helps.Oh and abdul89 is right,we need to know what speed your processor your running at,as sometimes processors can bottleneck high end cards.
January 25, 2010 8:24:48 PM

Sorry i forgot to add,put all your setting on high for now,not ultra,you will be able to max it out once the drivers are better.
January 27, 2010 6:02:16 AM

Yeah Thanx for the reply
my processor speed is 3.2ghz intel core 2 duo processor
250 gb hard disk
650 w cooler master
January 27, 2010 6:06:43 AM

Actually i discussed with a guy woking in codemasters and he told they are working on thdx 11 issue and he also mention the fps changes accoring to the maps...

for eg: in map cortia you might get fps arround
VSYNC OFF
avg:45-51
min:30-41

VSYNC ON
avg:30-41
min:20-31

for eg: in map BAJA you might get fps arround
VSYNC OFF

VSYNC ON

Keeping Settings High might change some what..?
so wait for the patch or drivers...

Regards,
SSX
January 27, 2010 7:20:53 PM

Interesting,thanks for that bit of info,but i have to run V-sync or the game runs worse for some reason,my FPS run at around 70ish and i get really bad screen tear,i was under the impression more fps smoother running game and i know its not my monitor as i run MW with over 100fps and no screen tear.Oh and apologies for my last post,i missed some out for some strange reason,after the cd bit it should of read,or you can try to force DX9,go to........so sorry for that lol
Anonymous
January 28, 2010 2:07:44 AM

Hi andy,

I got dirt 2 working what i did was overclocking i overclocked my device now it shows

with VSYNC ON

AvgFPS -45-54

with VSYNC OFF

AvgFPS -59-61

all you have to do

1.) Download amd gpu tool
2.) MSI Afterburner tool

Then view this overclocking video this might increase to some 50%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03qBLTrY5Js

Regards,
SSX
January 28, 2010 5:57:59 PM

Has it stopped the stutteringin the game?.I would not have thought that you have needed to overclock your card to be honest,your card with normal settings shouls max that game out.Thanks for the link,i have watched about half then it froze so ill try again later,thanks again.
January 29, 2010 2:32:31 AM

u shouldnt need to overclock,, my pc avrg 46fps with min of 38fps in high with a 96gt,,ati drivers need to be fixed badly, :s ,,my nxt card will be an ati so hope they fix drivers
Anonymous
January 29, 2010 11:01:37 AM

Dirt 2 is not sluttering after overclocking but be very care full .....

yeah i am too waiting for a very good driver s terday i got mass effect 2 it runs very smooth it shows arround 70 to 80 fps with very high settings...

February 3, 2010 11:54:53 AM

the game has some issues with me as well and it seems some resolutions don't really work...the game thinks it's in one resolution but basicly the monitor isn't. When that is the case some up/down scaling seems to be happening causing severe stuttering even on very low details. Sometimes the problem doesn't arrise (when the game is in 1280*1024 and i haven't tried to alter it). Then it is a smooth 60FPS (v-synched) on my modest 5750 !!!! WITH 8AA!!! and good detail.
I do like to have AA high and resolution lower to counter fps drop but for me 1280*1024 is on the low side.

I was almost giving up on the game as i thought it never runned smooth but it seems to be a bug and not so much the grapihics engine as a whole.

Quite pleased now with how it runs as i'm getting a solid 60 fps almost all the time but i would like to run it on 1920 1200 with 2xAA instead of 1280*1024 8AA
but the game just won't let me :/ 
February 6, 2010 12:58:17 PM

Iam running it @1920x1200,but i do have to have v-sync on to get it to run smooth.
February 8, 2010 12:06:24 AM

which OS
February 8, 2010 4:22:37 PM

I am running windows 7 64bit,if i dont run v-sync i get higher frame rate but the game runs like crap and i get really bad screen tear and game stutter.
Anonymous
February 9, 2010 10:13:17 AM

hi andy,

U can try cat 10.1 it might increase some performance...i think they fixed the dirt 2 issue...

regards,
SSX
!