Not Enoug space on Hard Disk

Hi wondering if anyone can help.My pc is running slower and slower and i
think its due to the fact that i only have 9% of free space left on my hard
disk.I do have a lot of music files ( 11.6gb ) and i was wondering if there
is anything i can do to compress these files to make more space, and if i
can, will it harm those files, and, folders?If not, is it a case that I have
to go out and buy a larger memory and if i do, is it expensive and is it
difficult to do. I have 37.27gb of memory and like i said i only have 9% free
and to run the de,fragmentiser its telling me i need at least 15%.If this has
made sense to anyone...please please help.
Thank you
Trudibabe
11 answers Last reply
More about enoug space hard disk

    In news:B0F63FB7-C965-4CB9-880D-7F8DB32FCBA3@microsoft.com,
    Trudibabe <Trudibabe@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Hi wondering if anyone can help.My pc is running slower and
    > slower
    > and i think its due to the fact that i only have 9% of free
    > space

    Unlikely.

    The most common thing these days that results in a slowdown is
    spyware. What anti-spyware programs do you run, and do you keep
    them up-to-date?

    > left on my hard disk.I do have a lot of music files ( 11.6gb )
    > and i
    > was wondering if there is anything i can do to compress these
    > files
    > to make more space, and if i can, will it harm those files,
    > and,
    > folders?If not, is it a case that I have to go out and buy a
    > larger
    > memory

    Do not confuse "memory" with hard drive space. The word "memory"
    is normally reserved for RAM--the thing that you probably have
    128MB, 256MB, or 512MB of.

    You might want to burn your music files to CDs and play them from
    there when you want to listen to them. That will save you some
    hard drive space.

    > and if i do, is it expensive and is it difficult to do. I have
    > 37.27gb of memory and like i said i only have 9% free

    The cost of a hard drive is lower than it's ever been. You can
    buy a second hard drive of 60GB for $45 US or so. Installing it
    is very easy, but if you've never done this before, it's probably
    a good idea to get someone who has to help you.

    You have a little over 3GB of hard drive space left. Although
    that's probably not causing your performance problem, it's very
    little, and sooner or later (probably sooner than later) you'll
    need more space. So you might want to consider buying a second
    drive now

    > and to run the
    > de,fragmentiser its telling me i need at least 15%.

    That's correct.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Music files are already compressed. They won't compress any further. You
    need a new hard disk.

    Hard disks are very inexpensive these days. For example: 80GB hard disks are
    routinely available for $30 after rebates. They're not hard to install, but
    you can always pay a technician to install it if you're not feeling
    confident.

    BTW: You have 37GB of storage, not memory, on your hard disk; and you want
    to run the defragmenter not the "defragmentiser ".

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Trudibabe" <Trudibabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi wondering if anyone can help.My pc is running slower and slower and i
    > think its due to the fact that i only have 9% of free space left on my
    hard
    > disk.I do have a lot of music files ( 11.6gb ) and i was wondering if
    there
    > is anything i can do to compress these files to make more space, and if i
    > can, will it harm those files, and, folders?If not, is it a case that I
    have
    > to go out and buy a larger memory and if i do, is it expensive and is it
    > difficult to do. I have 37.27gb of memory and like i said i only have 9%
    free
    > and to run the de,fragmentiser its telling me i need at least 15%.If this
    has
    > made sense to anyone...please please help.
    > Thank you
    > Trudibabe

    In addition to the posted solutions...I do have the same problem with my
    laptop...Usually laptops come with small hard drives....40 gig or 60..My
    suggestion is to buy an external hard drive...You can store everything that
    requires a lot of space like photos and/or music....Because you will continue
    to add more and more of these files....The advantage of an external HD (or
    portable) is that you can plug it in any computer....There are several
    external HD's is ebay starting at 135.00 and 200 Gigs of space....A lot of
    files can be transfered!! So think on this option...!

    Gilbarcomv

    "Trudibabe" wrote:

    > Hi wondering if anyone can help.My pc is running slower and slower and i
    > think its due to the fact that i only have 9% of free space left on my hard
    > disk.I do have a lot of music files ( 11.6gb ) and i was wondering if there
    > is anything i can do to compress these files to make more space, and if i
    > can, will it harm those files, and, folders?If not, is it a case that I have
    > to go out and buy a larger memory and if i do, is it expensive and is it
    > difficult to do. I have 37.27gb of memory and like i said i only have 9% free
    > and to run the de,fragmentiser its telling me i need at least 15%.If this has
    > made sense to anyone...please please help.
    > Thank you
    > Trudibabe

    hi,
    this is not because of your memory. it's because of your hard disk. it's
    full.
    you can buy a new one. they are not very expensive.

    --
    Cankat Akdemir
    Author of "Windows XP Secrets"

    "Trudibabe" <Trudibabe@discussions.microsoft.com>, haber iletisinde þunlarý
    yazdý:B0F63FB7-C965-4CB9-880D-7F8DB32FCBA3@microsoft.com...
    > Hi wondering if anyone can help.My pc is running slower and slower and i
    > think its due to the fact that i only have 9% of free space left on my
    > hard
    > disk.I do have a lot of music files ( 11.6gb ) and i was wondering if
    > there
    > is anything i can do to compress these files to make more space, and if i
    > can, will it harm those files, and, folders?If not, is it a case that I
    > have
    > to go out and buy a larger memory and if i do, is it expensive and is it
    > difficult to do. I have 37.27gb of memory and like i said i only have 9%
    > free
    > and to run the de,fragmentiser its telling me i need at least 15%.If this
    > has
    > made sense to anyone...please please help.
    > Thank you
    > Trudibabe

    Not always true ted, this depends on the fprmat the music files are stored in

    --
    there are no problems just challenges

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > Music files are already compressed. They won't compress any further. You
    > need a new hard disk.
    >
    > Hard disks are very inexpensive these days. For example: 80GB hard disks are
    > routinely available for $30 after rebates. They're not hard to install, but
    > you can always pay a technician to install it if you're not feeling
    > confident.
    >
    > BTW: You have 37GB of storage, not memory, on your hard disk; and you want
    > to run the defragmenter not the "defragmentiser ".
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > "You can do it if you try."
    >
    > "Trudibabe" <Trudibabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi wondering if anyone can help.My pc is running slower and slower and i
    > > think its due to the fact that i only have 9% of free space left on my
    > hard
    > > disk.I do have a lot of music files ( 11.6gb ) and i was wondering if
    > there
    > > is anything i can do to compress these files to make more space, and if i
    > > can, will it harm those files, and, folders?If not, is it a case that I
    > have
    > > to go out and buy a larger memory and if i do, is it expensive and is it
    > > difficult to do. I have 37.27gb of memory and like i said i only have 9%
    > free
    > > and to run the de,fragmentiser its telling me i need at least 15%.If this
    > has
    > > made sense to anyone...please please help.
    > > Thank you
    > > Trudibabe

    Trudi

    You could try burning your music files to CD or DVD.. that would get you
    almost a quarter of your drive back..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Trudibabe" <Trudibabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi wondering if anyone can help.My pc is running slower and slower and i
    > think its due to the fact that i only have 9% of free space left on my
    > hard
    > disk.I do have a lot of music files ( 11.6gb ) and i was wondering if
    > there
    > is anything i can do to compress these files to make more space, and if i
    > can, will it harm those files, and, folders?If not, is it a case that I
    > have
    > to go out and buy a larger memory and if i do, is it expensive and is it
    > difficult to do. I have 37.27gb of memory and like i said i only have 9%
    > free
    > and to run the de,fragmentiser its telling me i need at least 15%.If this
    > has
    > made sense to anyone...please please help.
    > Thank you
    > Trudibabe

    I would try to delete all *.tmp files in folder Windows and all files from
    folder windows\temp and files with ~*.* Next time I make defragmating of
    HDD, next I`d make swap file - virual memory (cca 2x amount RAM, If RAM is
    128MB, Swap file is 250MB) - I not allow to Windows make swap file itself. I
    hope that that to helps You.

    "Trudibabe" <Trudibabe@discussions.microsoft.com> pí¹e v diskusním pøíspìvku

    In news:eUSTd$GtFHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Petrík1 <admin@zs-lazaretska.sk> typed:

    > next I`d make swap file - virual memory (cca 2x
    > amount RAM, If RAM is 128MB, Swap file is 250MB) - I not allow
    > Windows make swap file itself.

    It's time to retire the old legends about making the page file
    some multiple of the size of RAM. Whether the advice is twice the
    size of RAM, one-and-a-half times the size of RAM, or some other
    factor, it's wrong. In general, the more RAM you have, the less
    page file you need.

    Read the late MVP Alex Nichol's article, "Virtual Memory in
    Windows XP" at http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    You gain little, if anything by recompressing music files, and you
    definitely lose musical fidelity by doing so.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "steve.a" <stevea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Not always true ted, this depends on the fprmat the music files are stored
    > in
    >

    > --
    > there are no problems just challenges
    >

    > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    >
    >> Music files are already compressed. They won't compress any further. You
    >> need a new hard disk.
    >>
    >> Hard disks are very inexpensive these days. For example: 80GB hard disks
    >> are
    >> routinely available for $30 after rebates. They're not hard to install,
    >> but
    >> you can always pay a technician to install it if you're not feeling
    >> confident.
    >>
    >> BTW: You have 37GB of storage, not memory, on your hard disk; and you
    >> want
    >> to run the defragmenter not the "defragmentiser ".
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ted Zieglar
    >> "You can do it if you try."
    >>
    >> "Trudibabe" <Trudibabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi wondering if anyone can help.My pc is running slower and slower and
    >> > think its due to the fact that i only have 9% of free space left on my
    >> hard
    >> > disk.I do have a lot of music files ( 11.6gb ) and i was wondering if
    >> there
    >> > is anything i can do to compress these files to make more space, and if
    >> > can, will it harm those files, and, folders?If not, is it a case that I
    >> have
    >> > to go out and buy a larger memory and if i do, is it expensive and is
    >> > it
    >> > difficult to do. I have 37.27gb of memory and like i said i only have
    >> > 9%
    >> free
    >> > and to run the de,fragmentiser its telling me i need at least 15%.If
    >> > this
    >> has
    >> > made sense to anyone...please please help.
    >> > Thank you
    >> > Trudibabe

    But this is the situation when I have not possibility to increase RAM (for
    example old RAM moduls). Next, my experience, to make SWAP file helping me.

    In news:eoX65WQtFHA.2792@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Petrík1 <admin@zs-lazaretska.sk> typed:

    > But this is the situation when I have not possibility to
    > increase RAM
    > (for example old RAM moduls). Next, my experience, to make SWAP
    > file
    > helping me.

    Sorry, I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the above. Not
    to blame you--judging by your E-mail address, you're in Slovakia,
    and English is apparently not your native language.

    If you're saying that if there isn't enough RAM, the page file
    ("swap" file is the old Windows 9X name for it) helps you by
    substituting for it, yes that's correct. But the legends about
    making it a fixed size, some multiple of the size of RAM, are
    wrong.

    Again, I suggest that you read Alex Nichol's article,

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> pí¹e v
    > diskusním pøíspìvku
    >> In news:eUSTd$GtFHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    >> Petrík1 <admin@zs-lazaretska.sk> typed:
    >>
    >>> next I`d make swap file - virual memory (cca 2x
    >>> amount RAM, If RAM is 128MB, Swap file is 250MB) - I not
    >>> allow to
    >>> Windows make swap file itself.
    >>

    >> It's time to retire the old legends about making the page file
    >> some
    >> multiple of the size of RAM. Whether the advice is twice the
    >> size of
    >> RAM, one-and-a-half times the size of RAM, or some other
    >> factor,
    >> it's wrong. In general, the more RAM you have, the less page
    >> file
    >> you need. Read the late MVP Alex Nichol's article, "Virtual
    >> Memory in Windows
    >> XP" at http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm
    >>

    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup