schmuckpussy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2003
I have the money, so i want to build my first computer from less than scratch. A good friend said that it mostly depends on de CPU and the Mobo. So that is my first problem. I looked in a couple of magazines and pricelists and i found out that integrated [-peep-] on the Mobo is a bad thing, but i came across something like sATA-RAID! What the f*ck is that!

I'm also planning to build the PC with a waterkooling in it, is this a smart thing to do. I heard some pretty good [-peep-] about it.

Of course any Mobo-suggestions are welcome (al others to)

You'll have to excuse my language, i'm not from the US or UK. I try to do the english good, but ofcourse no one is perfect ;)

(_8^)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Integrated stuff on the motherboard is GREAT! Here are a list of things that are integrated into most motherboards:
1. Keyboard and Mouse ports, GREAT!
2. Serial ports, if you need them, this is GREAT
3. Parallel port, see #2
4. USB ports, why would you want them on a PCI card?
5. IDE controller, integrated into the chipset for over 10 years now! Any complaints? I though not!
6. Floppy controller, see #2

So you see, everything is fine and dandy with integrated stuff for the most part. Integrated video is normally pretty bad, and integrated sound is usually ho-hum, but that's about it.

In the late 90's companies started integrating additional IDE controllers into motherboards. These are PCI devices, but are attached directly to the bus instead of requireing a slot. Since that saves you a slot, it's GREAT!

Later these added IDE controllers were replaced with RAID controllers, same situation, same hardware you'd get on a PCI card, but without the need to use up a slot. Great!

Now we have SATA RAID. Intel incorporates it into their latest chipset southbridge. It gets it's own bus internally, which is FASTER than the PCI bus, so it's BETTER than PCI! Great!

Also, Intel added the CSA bus, another faster-than-PCI bus, this one is for their Gigabit ethernet connector. It offers TWICE the bandwidth of PCI devices, GREAT!

Now, SATA is a new interface to replace IDE. It offers better performance, but there are no drives fast enough to use that better performance yet. SATA drives will likely be no faster than IDE drives for the next 3 to 5 years!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
dunno, english is his second language I think.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

schmuckpussy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2003
Of course i understand it. English is one of the languages I master.

First of all thanks for the clear explanation

Is it smart to build a watercooling system into the comp, or doesn't that add any value to its performance

What do you think of P4P800 and A7N8X

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Water cooling simply moves the heatsink away from the processor. The radiator is just a giant heatsink, with all the advantages of increased size. Unless you really need a lot of cooling capacity, you won't need water cooling. Situations that call for added cooling include overclocking by a large amount.

I like those motherboards.