ITE RAID problem on Gigabyte 8KNXP

Drunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2003
Hello!
First I installed the OS on ITE RAID Controller (I’ve used 2x WD 800JB-both were put on master-in RAID 0) with on-board LAN deactivated. When I've activated LAN from BIOS, on boot a blue screen had appeared. This error appeared also when I had installed Windows with LAN activated and I've deactivated it later from BIOS. Also, when I had the OS on RAID 0, some files began to disappear (even if I turned off Windows properly) and on OS loading, CHDSK was automatically started. He had founded many corrupted files (many from System32) and he repaired them. Another strange error appeared few times: on OS booting a blue screen warned me that some files from System32 were corrupted and I must run CHDSK from Windows CD. Even I've installed my OS several time, these errors persisted.

After that I’ve erased the RAID and I’ve installed the OS on one of the hard disks (no configuration was changed) and the LAN problem didn’t vanished. In the end I have moved the hard disks on ICH 5 IDE channels (both hard disks were master). The LAN problem persisted (but the other Windows errors didn’t appeared) in another way: I’ve installed the OS with LAN deactivated and after I activated it, the CD-RW (Asus 52x24x52x on ITE RAID controller – master)) was not recognized by Windows even if the controller recognized it at start-up. Also, in Device Manager, the ITE RAID controller appeared with an exclamation sign [this device cannot start. (Code 10)]. I have updated the BIOS from F6 to F7 but the problems haven't been solved.

I wonder if these problems are from software or from hardware sources (maybe the MB is physically damaged).

Thank you!

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
Did you say both hard disks were master???

Don't you need to set one of them as slave, even if they are in a Raid configuration?

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can have 2 masters hooked up to the same cable...

dinoX aka BlackDog

Drunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2003
dinoX, the controller has two channels (2 sockets - 4 HDD), and the hard disks were put one on each channel.